What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbroken iPad (4.2.1) not rebooting after battery drain

batosai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it worked!!

I had the same issue. Apparently, when redsnow says you MUST have the device powered off, it's not a concrete rule. My ipad died. So I tried the redsnow reboot only but was stuck at the 'MUST TURN OFF IPAD FIRST' step. So I plugged it into the charger for an hour, unfortunately, that then put my pad into a white apple logo with loading icon (sun rays without a sun in the middle) which locked my ipad where I couldn't reset or power off. I then went into the redsnow reboot only process. When it said, power off ipad, I simply went to the next screen where the button pressing directions appear. I followed the steps as if I had turned off the ipad. AS SOON as the redsnow dialog box said that the ipad was now jailbreak rebooting independently and I had the pineapple logo on the screen, I rushed to the outlet and plugged in my charger. After a min, my ipad powered on jailbroken just fine!

Rokr

it worked! i did exactly as u instructed above, and my ipad powered back on!! yaaaayyy!! Thanks so much Rokr!

guscardona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys...let me resume you my experience :)

First, I want to tell that I'm here because I let the battery of my iPad 4.2.1 jailbreaked by redsnow 0.9.6b4 discharged completely.

The last procedure applied was:

1. I connected the iPad to my computer. I had red discharged baterry.
2. I let it charge for awhile until I saw the white apple logo
3. I opened the redsnow 0.9.6b4 (configured just for boot tethered)
4. I went through the application until the window where it asks to have the iPad turned off. I didn't have the iPad off. I had the iPad with the white apple logo
5. I click next and execute the procedure recommended by redsnow to put the iPad in DFU mode. It didn't result. After the procedure I got my iPad with black screen, like if it was turned off.
6. I let the iPad a few minutes (like 2 or 3) connected to the PC in that mode
7. I ran redsnow again, beginning the process with the iPad in that mode (black screen) and this time redsnow recognize the iPad in DFU mode, so it began the process of tethering.
8. Once I saw the pineapple logo in the iPad and redsnow telling me the the process was ready and that the rest would happen in the iPad, I disconnected from the PC and connected to the wall immediately.
9. I let the iPad there a few minutes and then I had the recovery mode (USB and iTunes logo)
10. I decide to open iTunes and it recognized the iPad in this mode and ask me to restore the factory default configuration
11. I decided to do this and now iTunes is downloading the firmware to install in the iPad (12 minutes left)

I tried a lot of things and I was very worried about the situation, but now it seems that I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'll tell you in awhile if it finally worked.

Thank you very much guys.....

guscardona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, finishing the restore process.

The first time iTunes gave me an unexpected error. Second time it was great and now I'm restoring last backup.

I think i'm reaching tunnel exit ;)

Xpreso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, that happen to me when i jail break with redsnow. each time when i turn off the power, i have to reboot with redsnow again.
thats what i did over the weekend.
1) dont worry about the apple logo.
2) go the redsnow, DFU again (3 seconds, 10 seconds and 15 seconds)
3) your ipad should be recognize.
4) restore your Ipad with Itune
5) go get greenposi0n ( GreenPois0n )

and that should be working, cuz mine have no problem turn off the power and will turn it back on again. ^_^
try it and let me know if working to you.

chixta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same prob but Jailbreak not known

Hi - I have exactley the same problem, iPad keeps resetting, cannot charge etc. I do not know what Jailbreak Program I have installed though (this was already on when I brought it). I have Cydia and ***** EDIT ***** but I do not have the Redsn0w or Greenp0ison logo on boot up so this may not be the Jailbreak I have. Because of this, I have not worked through the fix suggested, only the resets and all other advice first but with no joy. :confused:

I am reluctant to do a restore via iTunes as I do not want to lose the Jailbroken Apps/data and have to jailbreak myself afterwards, but if this is the only way then I shall have to.

I am very much in distrss and call on you all for your advice pleaseeeee!!!

Chixta :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi - I have exactley the same problem, iPad keeps resetting, cannot charge etc. I do not know what Jailbreak Program I have installed though (this was already on when I brought it). I have Cydia and ***** EDIT ***** but I do not have the Redsn0w or Greenp0ison logo on boot up so this may not be the Jailbreak I have. Because of this, I have not worked through the fix suggested, only the resets and all other advice first but with no joy. :confused:

I am reluctant to do a restore via iTunes as I do not want to lose the Jailbroken Apps/data and have to jailbreak myself afterwards, but if this is the only way then I shall have to.

I am very much in distrss and call on you all for your advice pleaseeeee!!!

Chixta :eek:

Don't get sidetracked by this old discussion. It has nothing to do with the current situation you find yourself in. The above was mostly related to a tethered jailbreak, which you don't have.
Try the steps I outlined in your other thread, and we'll see if we can get you back up and working. OK?

Oh, and Don't be a Pirate!

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DoctorTim said:
To the idiots on various boards claiming that the jailbreak doesn't affect charging: Umm, you're idiots. If the battery is dead multiple people report that tethered iPad will not take a charge. This is a jailbreak issue. My iPad has entered this state previous to my iOS4 jailbreak without any issues. This only started after tethered jailbreak.

I think what you mean is: this is a 'tethered' jailbreak issue. You, yourself, admit that it only started after upgrading to a tethered JB.

My advice to you is to use untethered JBs whenever possible, because naturally a tethered JB depends on redsn0w to launch. (and could cause a problem if the battery is completely drained! ;)

aleksa2808

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ehm,sorry to bump the thread guys,but I saw that you didn't help the first guy and I have the exact same problem(no signs of ipad to pc link)
more on it here:
www[dot]ifans[dot]com/forums/showthread.php?t=345022
(my first post,so no-links policy)

thanks in advance,
Alex

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, if you are on a TETHERED jailbreak and you have let the battery drain, the ONLY thing you can do is charge the iPad from the mains power adapter for a reasonable period of time (at least an hour), THEN perform the tethered boot procedure using whatever tool you normally have to use (I'm assuming an old version of redsn0w?)

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the ONLY thing you can do is charge the iPad from the mains power adapter for a reasonable period of time (at least an hour)

I was going to suggest a full battery drain, but of what I understood from his post on the other forums, his problem is that he can't charge it from the mains.

Or did I get this completely wrong? :S

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you can't charge your iPad from the mains and your iPad battery is dead, you don't have many options left... If your PC equipment isn't up to spec to charge the iPad, there is no other magic solution I'm afraid.

AdAbro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I'm a noob at this so can you guys help me? how do you guys get pictures for your profile and how do you become a iPad fan or something else other than an iPad noob? Please respond
Thx so much:)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If his problem is really the PC just won't recognise the iPad then you have to troubleshoot the driver installation for your OS. It was undoubtedly interrupted and therefore is not correctly configured any more.
You need to get the current drivers removed and let them reinstall properly, but if your iPad does not have sufficient charge to allow this to complete, again you are out of luck. That's why you MUST get it charged from a wall outlet. If it won't charge from the official charger it indicates a hardware issue, which is probably why it won't connect to the PC...
Don't know what else to suggest. He says he has tried everything.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AdAbro said:
Hi
I'm a noob at this so can you guys help me? how do you guys get pictures for your profile and how do you become a iPad fan or something else other than an iPad noob? Please respond
Thx so much:)

OK.

1. Don't hijack other peoples threads! Threads should always stay on topic. Hijacking is not on and breaks our rules - you should read them! :)
2. Update your avatar using the full website from your PC. You cannot do it from the iPad App. Select "User CP" at the top of the page and in that section you can change all your details including Avatar.
3. You are a n00b at the moment, and your ranking will change the more you contribute to the site. You can't change it yourself, but by your own admission, it seems to fit at the moment ;)

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts