What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Closing applications actually drains battery (Still under testing)

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this tweak though. So if the apps are in full color, they are running in the background, while faint and transparent apps are the ones closed on the background?
I think it's something along these lines, yes. As the majority of the apps show icons in normal/full colors, I presume that shutting those down helps with the battery there (and my guess is that it's akin to apps being permitted for background apps refresh in iOS 7). Then again, I never really tested it.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh wow. I just got a really great battery result today. My iPad battery has drained 23% battery under 4 hours! This is almost double my expected battery life!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh wow. I just got a really great battery result today. My iPad battery has drained 23% battery under 4 hours! This is almost double my expected battery life!

And this happened leaving apps opened in the background? If so, very interesting......

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score

can u please be more specific, is it by closing down the back ground apps or by leaving them alone?

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
can u please be more specific, is it by closing down the back ground apps or by leaving them alone?

You leave them alone, except music streaming apps, VOIP using apps, social netwroking apps like Facebook and Mail, and apps that upload files automatically like Dropbox or IFTTT.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And this happened leaving apps opened in the background? If so, very interesting......

Yes. The last battery comparison was me playing Epoch 2 the entire day. I realized I wasn't even closing any apps or using other apps except safari, which may explain why I got the same result I got when I have all my apps closed, without using any apps. This time, I was playing the usual usage, music for a couple of minutes, surfing the web, using social networking apps (Of course force closing them after), and playing supercell games, while downloading small apps.

Just noticed that my 40% battery lasted 6-7 hours. This is the most I got, which used to be the 5 hour long after draining 40% battery.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For the past 8 hours, my battery drained by only 43%, thus only having 57% left after 8 hours. This is double the time I have! Maybe it needed just a few days for it to work. Of course, without the battery percentage turned off (BTW if your wondering how I got the results with battery percentage turned off, I turned it on for a few seconds to see it. Just to clarify stuff.).

Anyways this is really great results I have right now. Anyone who is trying this, are you getting improvments?

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the past 8 hours, my battery drained by only 43%, thus only having 57% left after 8 hours. This is double the time I have! Maybe it needed just a few days for it to work. Of course, without the battery percentage turned off (BTW if your wondering how I got the results with battery percentage turned off, I turned it on for a few seconds to see it. Just to clarify stuff.).

Anyways this is really great results I have right now. Anyone who is trying this, are you getting improvments?

i am still in the testing mode, will update, no noticeable difference yet but too early to tell atm

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On a related note... if those apps are in fact frozen, how come that they are shown on processes list (using SystemTools, Sys Activity Manager etc.)?

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On a related note... if those apps are in fact frozen, how come that they are shown on processes list (using SystemTools, Sys Activity Manager etc.)?

These are only system tools. They are just like multitasking, even when the apps are frozen they would show up to force close, or open the apps.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure about that... process list is a pretty straightforward thing -- a process either runs or not. iOS is after all a *NIX (BSD) derivative, and even issuing "ps" command in a terminal on a jailbroken iDevice displays those apps running. Now, unless the system reduces their CPU and memory usage to bare minimum and keeps the processes running; maybe that's the case.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure about that... process list is a pretty straightforward thing -- a process either runs or not. iOS is after all a *NIX (BSD) derivative, and even issuing "ps" command in a terminal on a jailbroken iDevice displays those apps running. Now, unless the system reduces their CPU and memory usage to bare minimum and keeps the processes running; maybe that's the case.

Like I said, the apps are already frozen, and it is already removed from the RAM except the cache. Its just there in the multitasking thingy. Its not like a PC where it slows down because you run too many programs. iOS is mobile not PC.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
so far from my experience leaving the apps open and not forcing them close uses more battery.

It highly depends on how the app is coded and which app it is. For apps that constantly fetch data to refresh something, leaving it open will drain your battery, etc. It also depends on instances of the iOS that are being called on (something along the lines of processes in Task Manager) that are kept running in the background even if the app isn't fetching data around the clock, which again, revolves on how the app is coded. It's very hard to gauge whether to leave the app open or closed unless you repetitively test it, and with every update, there is the off-chance that they've redone the code, which will throw off the previous gauging.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A very interesting thread with some excellent input. It has certainly caused me to rethink my policy of forcing apps to close on a daily basis.
Thanks guys.

Most reactions