What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The London Olympics 2012

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stranding said:
Doesn't it just! And many of the fences are witty & fun. One might think "quirky", even?:)

I think it's much more accessible (in all senses) than similar events in country estates.

The Archangel

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To us, here at home, yesterday was a great day's events. It was full of drama, some unexpected. The events were great to watch, and although we are supporting Team GB, when it can to the finals, we didn't mind who won - we felt for those who just missed out on a medal, and shared in the elation of the winners.

Like Gabe, we are not really "horsey" types. However we do enjoy show jumping. The Earls Court competitions with the Yorkshire family (I cannot remember his name!) as favourites (Harvey SMITH?) were good experiences. Bach to the Present... The setting in Greenwich is inspirational. NIMBYs, please note. I will post some general park photos later, when the PC is off its go-slow. The slips and falls added drama to a classic World Heritage Site backdrop. That drop looks quite awesome when looking up to it!

The rowing pairs produced a great Team GB result. The canoe slalom was exciting stuff, but it does take some concentration and a few runs need to be seen to grasp how the course is tackled.

Then, the swimming heats and finals were brilliant. I have just heard that the USA team coach is questioning whether the Chinese Gold medallist in one event was using drugs - vehement ally denied by the Chinese. A drama could unfold there.....

Now, talking about drama ...... :) ...... There was a "stewards' enquiry" at the end of the men's gymnastics finals. The Japanese team lost points for a couple of sloppy finishes from the horse routine, and ended up 4th. Team UK was elevated from Bronze to Silver medal position :) :) The Japanese challenged the results. The wait was worse than at TV reality sow dramatic pause. Then, the Japanese leapfrogged (a new discipline) into Silver, pushing GB back to Bronze.

We polished off the viewing watching the Canada v GB in basketball. That was a bit of a ding dong.... Great stuff though.

The evening views of the Olympic PArk were just magical.

Now, roll out today.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The PC has woken up and is performing well now. So, here are those promised pictures of Greenwich Park and the O2 Arena taken a year or two ago.

I believe most of the park is closed to the public during the Equestrian events. However, I will apply some lateral thinking etc and try to get some views from inside the Maritime Museum etc. Fingers X'd.....

image-1972678196.jpg

image-1571823144.jpg

image-1677308443.jpg

image-2864424598.jpg

image-3804159460.jpg

image-3580606168.jpg

image-2890375375.jpg

image-3042060103.jpg

image-477713665.jpg

image-143365042.jpg

image-3771242194.jpg

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ahhhh! He brings back memories. Harvey was our John McEnroe of the horse world. His family is still doing really well. I used to go to Olympia every Xmas and watch them all ride.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Ahhhh! He brings back memories. Harvey was our John McEnroe of the horse world. His family is still doing really well. I used to go to Olympia every Xmas and watch them all ride.

Hi Hayles, morning.

Talking of blasts from the past, I see The Archers are now on on BBC 1 :)

The non Brits won't know what I'm alluding to ;)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't listen to it but I do know about them and Ambridge.

I see someone made a nasty comment about Tom Daley's dad on his Twitter account. Nasty. The guy has been arrested. Good

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
Hi Hayles, morning.

Talking of blasts from the past, I see The Archers are now on on BBC 1 :)

The non Brits won't know what I'm alluding to ;)

Morning Richard!
We are not quite sure what's going on over your way...The Archers? BBBC1?? (TV?) It's not Sunday today, is it? As in, the omnibus?
Half past three?!!

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stranding said:
Morning Richard!
We are not quite sure what's going on over your way...The Archers? BBBC1?? (TV?) It's not Sunday today, is it? As in, the omnibus?
Half past three?!!

Hee hee. I was tempted to comment :D

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I don't listen to it but I do know about them and Ambridge.

I see someone made a nasty comment about Tom Daley's dad on his Twitter account. Nasty. The guy has been arrested. Good

That person deserves to be arrested, and forced to dive from the high board.

I call the abusers "nitwitterers".

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
I love the heritage themed show jumping course.

Was just about to say the same. Witty! But they go past so fleetingly that I haven't worked out what some represent yet. Love the Trafalgar Square lion & Nelson's Column. And the Cutty Sark!

The fences aren't those huge scary show jumping ones thank goodness. Hate to watch that, which take advantage of the horse's willingness to please (IMHO).

Zara is being interviewed, shedding a tear. No pressure on her--the whole nation, all the family, those commentators, all rooting...poor thing:-(

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts