What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where in the World?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where in the World is a geographical game based on general knowledge and detective skills. It is open to everyone. Please read this leader carefully before attempting to participate.

General.

The idea of Where in the World is to guess a location based on pictorial and other clues provided by a poster. The poster will be the person who successfully solved the previous challenge. The poster may ask for as much or as little information as he requires, and until all of the information is supplied, the challenge is deemed not to have been solved. The person who supplies the final piece of information will be deemed to have won the challenge.

Rules.

Where in the World operates under two sets of rules.

The first, and most important are the rules governing use of iPadForums.net which can be found here Forum Rules - Apple iPad Forum . All players are, by virtue of their membership of iPadForums, expected to abide by the rules of the forum. Breaches of these rules may lead to action by the moderators and could include expulsion from the forum.
The game also has it's own rules, which follow. WitW rules are interpreted by the adjudicators of the game. At present the adjudicators are Scifan57, AdmiralAdama and 55Julie55. In case of perceived conflict between iPF rules and WitW rules, the rules of iPF will prevail.

Any dispute with a decision of a moderator MUST be done via PM with that moderator, never in open forum. Disputes with adjudicators MUST take place in the thread entitled Where in the World - discussions, which all players should bookmark.

Game rules.

1. English is the preferred language for play, although players may supply questions and answers in any language offered by Google Translate.
2. A challenge may be opened for new players only for a period of one hour at the discretion of the poster. After one hour has has elapsed with no attempts to solve it, it will be open to all players.
3. The poster of a challenge must remain available to check the progress of the game. If the challenge appears to have been correctly answered and the poster is offline, the adjudicators will make a decision after a lapse of 30 minutes that the challenge has been solved, and the person who solved the challenge may post the next one. If the poster is online, he will have one hour to confirm that the challenge has been met. A member may ask an adjudicator to take over the challenge on their behalf if they need to go offline. In this case the answer should be PMed to the adjudicator once agreement has been reached.
4. Pictorial clues must not contain copyright messages or watermarks indicating that they are owned by anyone other than the poster, unless credit is given to the owner within the post. Since iPF rules do not allow for linking to blogs or other forums copyrighted photographs from these places MUST NOT be used. DO NOT CROP A PHOTOGRAPH TO REMOVE COPYRIGHT INFORMATION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
5. Answers may not be copied and pasted from any source. All answers must be supplied by the member in his own words.
ANY POST FOUND TO BE IN BREACH OF 4 AND 5 ABOVE WILL BE DELETED, AND THE POSTER MAY BE FOUND TO BE IN BREACH OF iPF RULES
6. Pictures must be clear enough to identify the subject. Blurred images are acceptable only if it is necessary to hide a feature which would render the picture useless for the purpose of the game e.g. the name of a building.
7. Having been informed that a challenge has been solved, the member who solved it has two hours to post the next challenge. If no new challenge has been posted at the end of two hours, any member may post a new challenge.
8. This is a geographical game, not a crossword puzzle. The answer to a challenge should always be a location, plus further information if required.

Last edited:

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great. Let's post a challenge. ITs quite appropriate in a way!

What is tis structure?

Where is it?

Why is it being built?

image-2095149729.jpg

image-541897992.jpg

Name a famous supporter

When will this edifice be unveiled?

Providing the answers will allow me to post further pictures on the
anything goes thread.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Is this a site under reconstruction (or something entirely new) in London or somewhere in the UK?
AA

Almost a guarantee it's in London judging by the bus in the background. The 0800 telephone number is a strong indicator too that it's in the UK.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Almost a guarantee it's in London judging by the bus in the background. The 0800 telephone number is a strong indicator too that it's in the UK.

Good sleuthing there. I did leave the bus in accidentally on purpose:)

And yes it's under construction nearing completion.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
Good sleuthing there. I did leave the bus in accidentally on purpose:)

And yes it's under construction nearing completion.

Another clue or two to jog this along.

It's said that this edifice is long overdue. It will be unveiled / dedicated some time before the 2012 Olympics start.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I think we need more clues than this.

OK.

This Google street view shot is the site of the edifice.

image-1138991621.jpg

Then, think of the armed services from the UK.

I could say "Stayin' Alive".

Good luck.

I do hope the UK contingent gets involved.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Is the Street View an image of Whitehall?
AA

Not Whitehall. It's a little further West. The bit of map visible in the street view shot has wording which can be worked out.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The building doesn't appear in google street view.Your google street view picture has the Wellington arch behind you,looking down the A4.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
The building doesn't appear in google street view.Your google street view picture has the Wellington arch behind you,looking down the A4.

The site is correct. The street view image is of the site of the new edifice now nearing completion. In fact, the new edifice is of the same category as another built a few years ago at the start of Birdcage Walk. There is another large stone structure with a stone Howitzer on top beyond the Wellington Arch. The stone structure is in the same category as the one under construction.

I could post another image of the edifice in question if you cannot get the answers.

My Stayin' Alive clue points to the celebrity involved in the fund raising for the subject edifice. The celebrity is passionate about the project, but through I'll health may not be able to attend the unveiling.

Where are the UK followers? You should get the answers easily now......

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
After these clues,I'm further in the dark than before.

Let's give it 15 minutes. If nothing gives, I will provide further clues.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was an existing building demolished to construct this building,or was it built on formerly open land?

Most reactions

Latest posts