The iFaraday Stylus---A Review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Heaviside, May 30, 2011.

1. Meowzart

Meowzart
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've just ordered the ifaraday. Looking forward to trying it. I am female with small hands so I think the size of the barrel is going to be perfect. I'm just hoping Canada post is not going on strike or it could be a while!
    susan

2. Somerled

Somerled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I forwarded the info to a friend of mine who is looking for a stylus for working with certain apps.

I do like seeing the vendor in here working to correct issues.

3. info

info
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

4. jnewell

jnewell
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Totally agree - very impressive.

5. atalay

atalay
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Amazing review thanks! Just ordered the pack.

6. Heaviside

Heaviside
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Just an update:

Rustle just sent me a stylus which he fabricated to my specs---and, in short, it is marvelous! Here are a couple of shots (click to enlarge):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He has increased the barrel size a bit to accomodate my wishes and wrapped it in some sort of plastic like tubing to help my grip.

If there is a perfect stylus, this seems to be it! I will report more later after using it a bit.

Aside to Rustle: I will take the softer tipped originals apart and use the barrels for my own experiments, though I doubt that I can come up with anything better than the one shown in the above photos!

7. Heaviside

Heaviside
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Just an update: The special stylus that Rustle put together for me is absolutely great! If your handwriting style is anything like mine, you can't go wrong with one just like it.

The plastic-like tubing around it provides a very comfortable grip. (With those shiny metallic barrels, I keep losing my grip. Of course, I might not have a solid grip on anything!) And the slightly larger barrel size helps in this regard also.

The firmer tip is just great for writing and pressing virtual keys on the keyboard. It serves both functions without any obvious deterioration such as that of the Stylus-R-Us styli.

I would suppose that the softer tips are great for the artists among us, but I think that writers should request the firm tip.

Just my opinion---!

8. jc0045

jc0045
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Heaviside, I have a question about the ifaraday stylus I wanted to ask you since you seem to have done a lot of testing. I use my ipad solely as a work and school tool. No silly games or crap like that. I write (script) about 4 hours a day between process documentation review for my company and also lots of notes as a grad student.

I have several stylus-r-us styli which I find extremely comfortable and VERY smooth to write with (I use note taker HD), but like you, I have a really hard time using no pressure and tend to crush the tips after a few minutes of straight writing, it becomes difficult to maintain that zero pressure.

I also find that stylus-r-us are too wide of a tip for detailed handwriting without making the letters look huge and awkward.

It seems like the ifaraday took care of the issue of crushing the tip, but how about the responsiveness for quick fluid writing and comfort for lots of notes? How is the width of the tip?

Thanks for any info!

9. iFaraday

iFaraday
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My recommendation.

Best thing to do is try it, and return it if you don't like it. It's very difficult to describe the way something 'feels'. Add to that, each person has different writing styles. I understand this which is why I offer a money-back guarantee.

Try the Art Dome - Firm. This is good for people who press hard.

-Rustle Laidman (sales@Ifaraday.com)

10. Heaviside

Heaviside
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You are asking great questions, and clearly you do a lot of handwriting.

As I understand things, the somewhat large tip on iPad styli (styluses?) is necessary because of the way the touch screen functions:it uses the capacitance between the screen and stylus tip to sense the point being touched. Capacitance is proportional to area, and at least so much is required to work. I have tried making my own stylus and have tried hard to get the smallest tip. In my opinion, the iFaraday tip is about the smallest that will work reliably. It is about the same size as the Targus and others.

The responsiveness of the virtual ink is, I believe, a function of the software rather than the stylus. Note Taker HD and some others allow you to control this to some degree, but they could all be faster with profit.

The softer versions of the iFaraday feel good for writing, but as I noted earlier I tend to press a bit too hard and they yield under the pressure so that I get a click from the metal barrel. The firm tip does not do this, so I can write with more assurrance. It sounds like your writing style is very much like mine, so I reccomend that you give the firm tip version a try.

I have disassembled one of the iFaraday wands, and Rustle is using an ingenious technique for fabricating the points. It seems highly flexible in the sense that it could accomodate many different user requirements.

P.S. to iFaraday: If you would be so kind as to send me replacement substrates for those two that leave smudges, I will replace the old ones with them. I did try just rubbing the substrates on my iPad screen, and you are right---that was the problem!