What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iFaraday Stylus---A Review

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have about 5 faradays and have been using them ont he road for a few months. Everyone of them breaks off the shirt clip...anybody else seen this? Love the pen.

Yep. Had one snap.

Hmmm... A breakable clip is definitely not a good sign, I hope the tip doesn't begin to fray. ;) As the proud owner of a Targus, a Boxwave, and an Alupen(s), I am beginning to see that "haste makes waste" when it comes to the quest for the perfect stylus.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have about 5 faradays and have been using them ont he road for a few months. Everyone of them breaks off the shirt clip...anybody else seen this? Love the pen.

Yep. Had one snap.

Hmmm... A breakable clip is definitely not a good sign, I hope the tip doesn't begin to fray. ;) As the proud owner of a Targus, a Boxwave, and an Alupen(s), I am beginning to see that "haste makes waste" when it comes to the quest for the perfect stylus.

Yep, agree totally! But it's not been really a waste. We are owners of a pretty new and innovative tool in the iPad---and it takes a while for the support accessories to catch up. Actually, I think its been pretty rapid. Just a few months ago, the stylus selection was very limited. So far, I can't say enough good things about the Jot.

I am swearing off buying new styluses, but don't remind me of this resolution next week!

ioeidos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iFaraday Rx vs. Jot stylus

Does someone have experience on how the iFaraday Rx compares to the Jot stylus in terms of handwriting? Thanks!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does someone have experience on how the iFaraday Rx compares to the Jot stylus in terms of handwriting? Thanks!

I think you may want to search for posts from Heaviside to get the best perspective on the iFaraday versus Jot styluses. However, I've tried nearly as many styluses as he has and I've come to the conclusion that it's very much an individual preference.

Most, though not all, users who have tried them seem to agree that the styluses with rounded rubber tips are less satisfactory than the iFaraday style with a conductive fabric cover over a smaller less "bubble shaped" tip. And while there have been very few reports about the Jot, those that have them like the pointed tip with the transparent collar that seems to support more precise input.

But the bottom line, imo, is that it's more a case of learning to use any of these instruments than the superiority of the instruments, themselves. Some have a steeper learning curve than others, but all require practice to make efficient use of a stylus.

Furthermore, none (that I've tried) is exactly like using a pen on paper. That is simply not possible on the capacitive screen of the iPad. My best advice is to select a note taking application that seems to fit your needs, select a stylus, and practice, practice, practice.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I think you may want to search for posts from Heaviside to get the best perspective on the iFaraday versus Jot styluses. However, I've tried nearly as many styluses as he has and I've come to the conclusion that it's very much an individual preference.

Most, though not all, users who have tried them seem to agree that the styluses with rounded rubber tips are less satisfactory than the iFaraday style with a conductive fabric cover over a smaller less "bubble shaped" tip. And while there have been very few reports about the Jot, those that have them like the pointed tip with the transparent collar that seems to support more precise input.

But the bottom line, imo, is that it's more a case of learning to use any of these instruments than the superiority of the instruments, themselves. Some have a steeper learning curve than others, but all require practice to make efficient use of a stylus.

Furthermore, none (that I've tried) is exactly like using a pen on paper. That is simply not possible on the capacitive screen of the iPad. My best advice is to select a note taking application that seems to fit your needs, select a stylus, and practice, practice, practice.

Yep!

I tend to be very enthusiastic or very negative about things, but this is the most dispassionate and objective analysis of the situation I have seen.

While I think he is right in saying that nothing is quite as accurate as pen or pencil on paper, though, I really have to say that I feel the accuracy of the Jot is FAR better than those having the rubber or fabric tips.

And his advice is good about practice, practice, practice---though getting to Carnegie Hall isn't our objective in this case!

P.S. I recently learned from another thread that Dagi now has a stylus that appears to be very similar to the Jot, though I haven't tried it.

P.P.S. To our Moderators: I suggest that the above analysis by jsh1120 somehow be made into a "sticky" that would catch the eye of a newcomer or casual observer and thus cut down on the number of duplicate threads of folks thinking about trying a stylus for the first time. Just a thought.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been using my iFaraday Rx for a week and I definitely prefer it to the Griffin stylus because I can write much smaller without having to resize the screen.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had the Jot Pro for about a week and used it for perhaps 2-3 hours. So I'll repeat my recommendation that a stylus should be used for awhile before coming to any firm conclusions. Having said that, however, I do have a few initial impressions.

() The weight and feel of the stylus are great. Heftier than the iFaraday models (Artist and RX) I have. The Jot Pro has a removable cap (like the RX) but lacks the pocket clip provided on the iFaraday.

() Looks very good, "classier" than the RX, the Jot Pro looks like a precision tool rather than a kind of "cobbled together" design.

() Magnetized feature of the Jot Pro (not available on the less expensive model) is a nice touch. Keeps the stylus handy at the top/side of the iPad. Good thing, too, since it's likely to roll off the desk if you aren't careful. The pocket clip on the iFaraday prevents this.

() The apparent "precision" of the tiny ball on the end of the Jot stylus is superior to the iFaraday model.

() As others have noted about the Jot, it's significantly "noisier" than other styluses as the metal ball strikes the screen and makes a clicking sound. Not a big deal, but annoying.

() The Jot glides with even less resistance than the iFaraday. While the iFaraday is superior to any other stylus I had tried on this score, the Jot is even better.

() Unfortunately, the Jot (so far) appears to suffer significantly in comparison to the iFaraday models on one point. And it's a killer. At least for me, it appears that unless the Jot is held almost perpendicular to the iPad screen, it fails fairly frequently (but unpredictably) to register strokes on the screen. I can hold the iFaraday at a fairly acute angle (less than 45 degrees) and write fairly comfortably. At the same angle, the Jot Pro fails frequently. Checking other threads and the discussion on the Adonit website suggests I'm not alone in having this problem. I suspect it's the result of the tiny plastic "collar" on the Jot failing to reposition itself correctly as the stylus is tilted, though I haven't firmly confirmed that. In any event, it's very annoying (much like a ball point pen that's low on ink).

I may be able to overcome the problem with practice but the claim of the Jot is that it writes more like a pen than other styluses. And at this point, at least for me, that does not appear to be the case.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Again, I agree with all your comments jsh1120 except that I don't consider the writing angle issue to be that much of a problem. Probably it's due to a difference in our writing styles. But writing angle has been a prime consideration for me too. In fact, that is one of my problems with the metal barreled iFaradays. I see that the iFaraday is now available in a "shallow writing angle" version, though I haven't tried it.

On the Jot, I definitely agree that it is a higher quality instrument. One shortcoming that I have noticed, though, is that the cap often comes unscrewed while I am writing. Another is that the disk begins to get cloudy after a lot of use. I haven't tried cleaning it yet, so it might just be dirt left from my two year old grandson's grubby little fingers! Both of these issues, though seem pretty minor to me.

Glenn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think there is no perfect stylus. I have had to revert to my faraday to use with keynote presentations, as the Jot or Jot Pro I own simply does not register sometimes, when I am advancing or reversing slides. My only diss on the faraday is it leaves smudges on the screen and the shirt clips break off after a few hours use - every time - I have done it on 5 of them now...Have ordered the artist hoping it's a bit more of a robust build.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think there is no perfect stylus. I have had to revert to my faraday to use with keynote presentations, as the Jot or Jot Pro I own simply does not register sometimes, when I am advancing or reversing slides. My only diss on the faraday is it leaves smudges on the screen and the shirt clips break off after a few hours use - every time - I have done it on 5 of them now...Have ordered the artist hoping it's a bit more of a robust build.

Glenn. I have had an iFaraday clip break too.

On the smudges, you might contact the mfr. I had problems with smudges on a couple of iFaradays (I ordered the Artist's pack of three, and two left smudges), and Rustle of iFaraday told me that this was due to a mistake in the underlying nib substrate material---a sort of rubbery plastic material. Apparently something oozes through the tip fabric and leaves the smudges.

Anyway, he was conscientious about replacing them.

Glenn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered a couple artists today and wrote him about the clips, he sent 5 covers for the clips and acknowledged the bad design...all I ask for..very cool....

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well ~ and here we are again. I have cleaned up this thread. Some of you are on warning ~ don't blow it.

Guys ~ stay on topic, NO negative personal commentary. Got it?

Last edited:

Glenn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suz - no thank you - I have enuf styluses already...all my problems are minor....

Most reactions

Latest posts