What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The iFaraday Stylus---A Review

rotopenguin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside, how easy is it to take apart/reassemble the writing head? I'm thinking of getting the basic model, and putting shrink tubing over the end.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heaviside, how easy is it to take apart/reassemble the writing head? I'm thinking of getting the basic model, and putting shrink tubing over the end.

Well, getting it out (intact) isn't a problem: just grab it with your fingers and pull out---away from the end along the long axis of the barrel, perhaps wiggling it a bit.

The substrate is a flexible rubbery material of some sort, and the conductive fabric covering it is more or less a square with some scallops taken out of the sides.

It's not hard to reinsert the combination---but pretty hard to get the thing back in without wrinkles---with your fingerss.

I haven't investigated yet how the rest of the tube is filled, but I suspect that Rustle uses something like a pair of long tweezers or forceps (or a thread os some sort) from the other end before he fills the tube. I have some ideas about this, but they are speculative only.

Having said all this, I would simply ask Rustle to make me up one with the polyethylene (or whatever) tubing already in place. I think he would be glad to accomodate your request. Just ask him for an Art Tube.

Anyway, it wont be a major disaster if you pull the tip out and have wrinkles in the fabric when you put it back. I haven't noticed any degradation in performance---just doesn't look quite as professional.

Hope this helps.

iFaraday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The basic model has a domed barrel It won't scratch the glass, so there really is no need to modify it. However, if you really want heat shrink tubing over the end just make a note when you order.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received my "Artist" model iFaraday yesterday. My experience...

() Rustle is quick and responsive. Received emails indicating my order was processed and tracking for the product. Much appreciated.

() Received the product four days after ordering via USPS. Excellent packaging in a cigar tube.

() I purposely ordered the Artist model because of the extra length and the "firm" dome tip. Had a feeling I might prefer a "fatter" and heavier model but decided to give this one a chance since it was immediately available.

() All in all, it's a revelation. I actually was satisfied with my combo pen/stylus from Targus. But I decided that $15 was worth it just to find out what all the fuss was about. Now I know. The iFaraday is simply MUCH better in terms of low friction, precision, and ease of use.

() My "complaints" are very minor. I was right that I would have preferred a fatter, heftier model. I can see I'll have to adjust my "style" to accommodate the extremely light touch the iFaraday requires and the very thin barrel of the Artist model.

I see Rustle now has an "Rx" model specifically designed for note taking. It might well fit my needs better than the Artist model. And all it lacks, I think, is a ball point pen embedded in the tool, eliminating the need to carry two implements. I don't use a pen much anymore, but I find it difficult to sign a receipt or a hotel bill with a stylus. :)

All in all, Rustle has produced a tool that outshines its competitors. Forego a few lattes and buy one. You won't be sorry.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Received my "Artist" model iFaraday yesterday. My experience...

() Rustle is quick and responsive. Received emails indicating my order was processed and tracking for the product. Much appreciated.

() Received the product four days after ordering via USPS. Excellent packaging in a cigar tube.

() I purposely ordered the Artist model because of the extra length and the "firm" dome tip. Had a feeling I might prefer a "fatter" and heavier model but decided to give this one a chance since it was immediately available.

() All in all, it's a revelation. I actually was satisfied with my combo pen/stylus from Targus. But I decided that $15 was worth it just to find out what all the fuss was about. Now I know. The iFaraday is simply MUCH better in terms of low friction, precision, and ease of use.

() My "complaints" are very minor. I was right that I would have preferred a fatter, heftier model. I can see I'll have to adjust my "style" to accommodate the extremely light touch the iFaraday requires and the very thin barrel of the Artist model.

I see Rustle now has an "Rx" model specifically designed for note taking. It might well fit my needs better than the Artist model. And all it lacks, I think, is a ball point pen embedded in the tool, eliminating the need to carry two implements. I don't use a pen much anymore, but I find it difficult to sign a receipt or a hotel bill with a stylus. :)

All in all, Rustle has produced a tool that outshines its competitors. Forego a few lattes and buy one. You won't be sorry.

Yeah, it's just a few lattes, it'll do me good. :) Thanks for the review...

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iFaraday said:
Best thing to do is try it, and return it if you don't like it. It's very difficult to describe the way something 'feels'. Add to that, each person has different writing styles. I understand this which is why I offer a money-back guarantee.

Try the Art Dome - Firm. This is good for people who press hard.

-Rustle Laidman ([email protected])

I'm buying solely because you're commitment to the product.

luisrbm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside, which model would you recommend for the mathematical note taking? That's my main objective too, but instead of writing on Note Taker HD, where you have to write large characters so the app can make them smaller and line them up, I'd prefer to write down in just about the size I already do on paper, using any drawing software. But I don't know for sure if this can be done. Actually I'm using a Motorola XOOM with android, but I have similar apps to Note Taker HD. The use of the iFaraday with this device shouldn't be a problem, since both the Ipad and XOOM devices have the same screen capacitive technology.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heaviside, which model would you recommend for the mathematical note taking? That's my main objective too, but instead of writing on Note Taker HD, where you have to write large characters so the app can make them smaller and line them up, I'd prefer to write down in just about the size I already do on paper, using any drawing software. But I don't know for sure if this can be done. Actually I'm using a Motorola XOOM with android, but I have similar apps to Note Taker HD. The use of the iFaraday with this device shouldn't be a problem, since both the Ipad and XOOM devices have the same screen capacitive technology.

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. The problem does not lie with a stylus design but with the capacitive screen technology used in the iPad (and other similar tablets.) The "zoom" feature of Note Taker HD (and other note taking apps) is designed to enable the user to draw/write characters large enough to be recognizable. Unless you are extremely skilled you'll find that the instrument (whether stylus or finger) is simply not precise enough to do so.

I use both the iFaraday "artist" model (long and thin) and the "RX" model (feels more like a fountain pen). Each works relatively well (within the constraints of the technology); it's more a matter of becoming accustomed to each.

The Adonit "jot" is another recently released alternative and it might work for what you're after. Has a tiny "point" (like a pen) with a transparent "collar" that contacts the capacitive screen to enable it to work. Several folks, including Heaviside, like it but I'm skeptical that it's much of an improvement in terms of precision compared to the iFaraday model. If not, it will present the same issue as other styluses on the capacitive screen.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, Notetaker HD has two modes: Edit1 and Edit2. Edit1 has you writing directly, one-to-one as you want. Edit two has the magnifying window at the bottom of the screen. Like you, I thought I would never use the magnifying window---but after a while I began to use it exclusively. I have a couple of vector drawing apps, but never use them for notes.

I just acquired a Jot and on the basis of just a couple of days experience, I would say that it is clearly the best stylus on the market (I have bought and tested a half dozen or so) for handwriting applications. It is really about as precise as a conventional pen! (My opinion might, of course, change if some problem crops up-but none as yet.). I imagine the iFaraday is still better for art applications.

Last edited:

luisrbm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. The problem does not lie with a stylus design but with the capacitive screen technology used in the iPad (and other similar tablets.) The "zoom" feature of Note Taker HD (and other note taking apps) is designed to enable the user to draw/write characters large enough to be recognizable. Unless you are extremely skilled you'll find that the instrument (whether stylus or finger) is simply not precise enough to do so.

I use both the iFaraday "artist" model (long and thin) and the "RX" model (feels more like a fountain pen). Each works relatively well (within the constraints of the technology); it's more a matter of becoming accustomed to each.

The Adonit "jot" is another recently released alternative and it might work for what you're after. Has a tiny "point" (like a pen) with a transparent "collar" that contacts the capacitive screen to enable it to work. Several folks, including Heaviside, like it but I'm skeptical that it's much of an improvement in terms of precision compared to the iFaraday model. If not, it will present the same issue as other styluses on the capacitive screen.

Actually, Notetaker HD has two modes: Edit1 and Edit2. Edit1 has you writing directly, one-to-one as you want. Edit two has the magnifying window at the bottom of the screen. Like you, I thought I would never use the magnifying window---but after a while I began to use it exclusively. I have a couple of vector drawing apps, but never use them for notes.

I just acquired a Jot and on the basis of just a couple of days experience, I would say that it is clearly the best stylus on the market (I have bought and tested a half dozen or so) for handwriting applications. It is really about as precise as a conventional pen! (My opinion might, of course, change if some problem crops up-but none as yet.). I imagine the iFaraday is still better for art applications.

I've been trying to use a generic stylus with a rubber tip and, facing the awful results, I've been led to look for a more precise stylus, so I stumbled upon the iFaraday. In fact I was quite excited about getting one, but it would still be a shot in the dark since I've met no one whose intentions were the same as mine, I mean, using it along with the tablet to take school notes and solve mathematical problems quickly and in a practical way like we do on paper, aiming to gradually replace the paper notebooks. I don't really need the characters to be recognized, only placed onscreen with my own handwriting. A few days ago I also stumbled upon the "Jot" and said "that's exactly what I need", but I thought it was still under development, so I kept on searching for other alternatives. Good to know it's finally released. The price is a little bit high, though... And as I do not live in the U.S., the shipping cost is almost as high as the stylus price. However, if it's really that precise I think it will be worth a try.

Thank you, guys! Appreciated the help!

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I've been trying to use a generic stylus with a rubber tip and, facing the awful results, I've been led to look for a more precise stylus, so I stumbled upon the iFaraday. In fact I was quite excited about getting one, but it would still be a shot in the dark since I've met no one whose intentions were the same as mine, I mean, using it along with the tablet to take school notes and solve mathematical problems quickly and in a practical way like we do on paper, aiming to gradually replace the paper notebooks. I don't really need the characters to be recognized, only placed onscreen with my own handwriting. A few days ago I also stumbled upon the "Jot" and said "that's exactly what I need", but I thought it was still under development, so I kept on searching for other alternatives. Good to know it's finally released. The price is a little bit high, though... And as I do not live in the U.S., the shipping cost is almost as high as the stylus price. However, if it's really that precise I think it will be worth a try.

Thank you, guys! Appreciated the help!

I think that for your needs you can't go wrong with either the iFaraday or the Jot. The iFaraday might be more comfortable "out of the box" because the Jot has a bit of a plastic on plastic feel that is a wee bit strange for handwriting---probably because of some subconscious feeling that you might damage the screen---but that goes away pretty quickly and the enhanced precisionis more than compensation enough.

I use mine much like you will. I am a retired EE prof still doing research in electromagnetics just for fun, and I fill several virtual pages a day with math and handwriting. Since I got my iPad I very rarely use paper, and then only to use when I need to compare what I am currently doing with something I have written on a previous page (one shortcoming of the iPad!).

I have used several apps and think that Notetaker HD is the best available, though I use Goodreader to read and annotate pdf documents.

By the way, if you need to go with a somewhat cheaper stylus, the Targus is perfectly acceptable for our application. There are several others that are similar.

Good luck!

Glenn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have about 5 faradays and have been using them ont he road for a few months. Everyone of them breaks off the shirt clip...anybody else seen this? Love the pen.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have about 5 faradays and have been using them ont he road for a few months. Everyone of them breaks off the shirt clip...anybody else seen this? Love the pen.

Yep. Had one snap.

Most reactions

Latest posts