What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus: Targus versus Stylus-R-Us Roger iWand

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is a side by side comparison of my two styli
1. Tarsus Stylus, purchased at Best Buy for US$17.99.
2. The Roger Aluminium iWand, purchased online at STYLUS-R-US*** -**** WE HAVE NO COMPETITION! - MOTTO for US$23.99

2d5b6300.png

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Comparing output

I have Zagg invisheild screen protector on my iPad.

3a876a42.png

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After using both of these products

I like the Roger iWand better than the Targus:
1. It is longer and easier to use in hand.
2. It does not require any pressure to use--even with the Zagg screen protector.

A little nit or two:
1. The Targus is readily available, if you loose your iWand, it will take at least three days to replace--using US Post.
2. Every once in awhile of heavy use, you do have to fluff up the head by stroking it on the hook side of Velcro, a towel also works.

I was very reluctant to endorse the iWand because it seemed too good to be true. But it does live up to the hyperbole heralded in numerous postings by a remarkably rabid fan.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great Review Matt! Thanks! I really liked seeing the two tips up close. I especially liked the comment that the Roger iwand didn't squeak! I am going to order the Roger. I have a Pogo Sketch but really don't like it. I was going to get a Targus as that seemed to be what most people recommended. I started following that long thread about the Pogo stylus and Roger iwand, but really got no definitive answer there. Your post really helped me decide!

Going off to order one now!:)

Edited to add: I ordered the Roger iwand and a 4" one in pink, since there was no purple!

Last edited:
OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks LavenderLady

I'm glad I could help. When you get your Roger iWand, please post your experience with it. While this is only about an accessory, all the little things one can buy for the iPad starts adding up to a lot money!

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Absolutely will do! I know what you mean, I now have 3 different cases and once the new guys arrive I will have 3 styli! But my biggest expenditure is on apps!! :D

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good key chain stylus?

I want something I could hook to my keys.

photocat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how does one write on the pad? I tried using Notes, but that was a typing feature.

Is it a different app?

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the app: Penultimate

how does one write on the pad? I tried using Notes, but that was a typing feature.

Is it a different app?

When you first use it, it walks you through a quick tutorial on how to use it.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jack, I think what Matt meant by heavy use was using it for a long time at a single sitting, as in taking pages and pages of notes and drawing at one time. I could see in that instance even with a light touch, that the fibers could compress and possibly need fluffing up again.

I can hardly wait for my two styli to arrive! I will add my review here after I play with them a while. Glad to hear you are including Velcro. Having it right along with the stylus will encourage people to use it.

Just as an aside, you might want to consider adding purple/lavender to your color selection. It is a really popular color....I probably wouldvhave bought mine a week ago if you had purple, even without Matt's review. I'm just that nuts about the color!! :D

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Exactly, LL***W***iPad...

Trying to be light when writing notes on my iPad is difficult. I was on a 30 minute conference call yesterday. It was a lively conversation so I found myself writing notes emotively. Which I would do with a real pen and paper. So I have to unlearn that writing behavior.

I typed this note using the iWand. Tapping keys lightly is really nice. I am also discovering that my iPad screen remains cleaner using this stylus. Look mom! No finger prints! :D:D

texaslonghorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jack - I think we understand your point about heavy - hard - jab - stab - pound - hammer - poke - hit - strike. But I am most interested in long term "normal" use. I use smartnotes on my ipad extensively for work. Just two weeks ago I created a 500-page notebook and another 50 pager at one project in a single week. Just handwritten notes. While I don't heavy - hard - jab - stab - pound - hammer - poke - hit - strike, I don't want to worry about babying a stylus, either. So as one of the previous posters asked, how will it hold up to long term "normal" use as an ipad handwriting tool? I went through several styli, including a number of DIY, and so far am most pleased with the Targus as it performs well and stands up to normal use. But of course a smaller tip size would be great, but not if I have to trade off normal use for it.

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope I'm not breaking any rules by re-posting my thoughts from a different thread, especially when I have not tried the Targus stylus. If so, I apologize in advance but here is my review of the Stylus R Us styluses.

I have been using my Stylus R Us styluses (stylii?) for a week now. I have been looking primarily for a stylus that I could use with a handwriting recognition program (WritePad) for note taking during meetings on my iPad with a screen protector. I honestly think I have found it with the Stylus R Us.

I actually was trying two different SRU's, the 9" Brass Roger iWand and one of the less expensive 6" ones. The SRU stylus definitely take a light touch to work properly. if you press hard with it, it will not work well at all. I discovered the velcro trick quite by accident when the tip of the 6" became stuck in the velcro on my iPad case. I noticed it worked significantly better once I got it loose from the velcro.

I found the 6" stylus better suited for my use while taking notes as it felt more like a pen in my hand. WritePad recognizes the words more accurately when I use the SRU stylus rather than my finger, which is the only way I've been able to take notes so far. I used the 6" SRU stylus with WritePad consistently during a 90 minute conference call and was able to forward the "typewritten" notes to my boss afterwards rather than typing them up afterwards if I had used a pen and paper.

However, I think the 9" brass iWand may work better for other applications. It seemed to work very well with the few games I have installed on my iPad and for scrolling through pages on my news apps. in fact scrolling takes just a slight flick with the tip of the iWand.

All in all, I am very impressed with the Stylus R Us stylus and actually feel no need to keep looking.

As a disclaimer, I do not work for or have any interest in the company--I work for a midwest law firm. I am merely expressing my findings with the hope that they will help someone else. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to pm me or post your questions here.

Most reactions

Latest posts