What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T-Mobile Says G-Slate More Than Two Times Faster than iPad 2

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
T_Mobile_G_Slate.JPG
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BGR reports today that a page that has just appeared on T-Mobile USA’s website is getting rather carried away comparing its new Honeycomb tablet, the LG G-Slate, to Apple’s iPad. On the website, T-Mobile says that the G-Slate is more than two times faster than the iPad 2, and three times faster than the Motorola XOOM. T-Mobile also makes a point of mentioning how much cheaper the Slate is that the other tablets, coming in at $399.99 with a two-year data package, or $599.99 without. An equivalent iPad costs $729, and XOOM $599/$799. Boy Genius Report got in touch with T-Mobile about its claims that the Slate is so much faster than the iPad and XOOM, asking specifically how the company came up with those speeds. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“An independent third party conducted testing to compare T-Mobile’s G-Slate, AT&T’s iPad 2 and Verizon Wireless’ Motorola XOOM,†a spokesperson told BGR, before going on to explain that the testing took place in New York and Seattle, in 30 locations. The total sample size was 300 tests. Surely this is really more a test of network speed though, rather than of the quality of the tablet, as the G-Slate has the advantage over the other two of running on T-Mobile’s 4G HSPA+ service. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: T-Mobile says G-Slate is 200% faster than iPad 2, 300% faster than XOOM[/FONT]

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not against speed and savings, but those aren't selling points without usability, reliability, good software and features. That's where many tablet competitors fail. I wish they'd get it together and really challenge Apple.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having no apps is like having a fast car with no fuel. Good luck with that.

md301

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im sorry but the ipad 2 still wins. Android ios required more hardware etc. Than the ipads to make it the same speed of it. I had the galaxy 10.1 but i returned it because its unstable with the crashing and forclosing. Sometime after 2 weeks of use, when i hit something, it will execute different thing. Its like comparing windows to mac ios. Doesnt really matter how much they put there ipad ios is stable enough to be really fast tablet computer.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really a comparison of devices. It's a comparison of T-Mobile's "4G" network to the 3G networks of the other carriers.

I currently use a Verizon 4G mobile hotspot with my iPad (as well as with my laptop and Verizon Smartphone.) The internet speeds vary between 7-15 gigs per second in a 4G coverage area.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really a comparison of devices. It's a comparison of T-Mobile's "4G" network to the 3G networks of the other carriers.

I currently use a Verizon 4G mobile hotspot with my iPad (as well as with my laptop and Verizon Smartphone.) The internet speeds vary between 7-15 gigs per second in a 4G coverage area.

If it's meant to be a test of networks, they'd have to use the same device to test both networks. They're trying to convince people to buy faster hardware in this comparison, but even if we accept that 4G is faster than 3G (not a stretch of imagination), that's not enough to sell a 4G tablet.

I'd still take a 3G iPad over a 4G some other tablet at this point. Now if Apple produces a 4G tablet, that's another matter, lol.

At this point, tablets and smart phones aren't doing serious computing anyway, so 4G doesn't seem like a big selling point. I have homes in two 4G cities and carriers have yet to convince me that I need 4G.

Most reactions

Latest posts