1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad 2 is 4x Faster than Original iPad

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0
    [​IMG]

Cnet uk reports that it managed to run a quick benchmark test on the iPad 2 during its brief hands-on session with the upgraded tablet. They tested how quickly the iPad 2 deals with JavaScript, and found that it did “incredibly wellâ€, beating all rival devices that cnet had performed the same test on previously, including the original iPad, which was 4x slower than the iPad 2, with the Galaxy Tab being more than 3x slower than the iPad 2, as was the Google Nexus S smartphone.

Cnet puts the iPad 2’s impressive speed down to the new dual-core processor, as well as iOS 4.3, which is due to be released next Friday, March 11, and which, according to Cnet, changes the way iOS devices deal with JavaScript, speeding it up. Cnet says that with a beta version of iOS 4.3 installed on the original iPad, the speed gap between iPad 2 and iPad 1 “narrowed considerablyâ€, with the iPad 2 being just 1.5x faster than the iPad 1 running iOS 4.3. So, looks like we’re all going to get a nice surprise with some improved performance when we download iOS 4.3 next Friday!

Source: iPad 2 speed test shows it's 4x faster than original iPad, thrashes Android | Crave | CNET UK
  2. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Great news. Ill wait till fully untethered jailbrake available b4 upgrading to 4.3 though. I goita have ifiles. Jailbrake for 4.3 GM version is out but its a semi-tetherd jailbrake. I need fully untethered.
    Thankx for reporting this as alot of doubters of ipad 2 speed increases will have a funny face while reading your article ;-)
  3. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Surely this title is a bit misleading - the only fair comparison is IOS4.3 in which case the iPad 2 is clearly not 4x as fast!
  4. ipfuser653

ipfuser653 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    An original iPad is more than twice as fast at Javascript with 4.3 compared to 4.2. That's some speed-up. Well done to the Apple devs.
  5. jordexj

jordexj iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It will be hilarious when all those people (my friends) read this article after scurrying around putting their old Ipad on Craigslist and other sites just to get a few hundred dollars... so that they can upgrade to Ipad 2.... I tell you people wait for Ipad 3, trust me!
  6. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    "wait for Ipad 3, trust me!"

No wait for iPadX it really will be better until iPadXI arrives.......trust me!

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today. You might just enjoy it and can do it again tomorrow....
  7. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Exactly what I was thinking. In fact I think it is more impressive that the "original" iPad (didn't know it "originally came with 4.2 ;)) is that much faster when running 4.3.

This is more about 4.3 than iPad 2 IMHO.

Michael
  8. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Jeff Carlson in TidBITS wrote
    "According to one Apple staffer I spoke with, the Safari improvements should be significant. Not just due to the JavaScript engine, but because the dual-core A5 does a good job of splitting up load tasks: one core handles text/HTML, the other core handles images, etc."

Good to hear but doubt it's anywhere near a factor of four.
  9. living2345

living2345 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lol, I so agree with this. I will be ordering the iPad on March 11 and won't regret it for one single second.
  10. xune

xune iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Same here.

Those who are always waiting for something better down the road fail to enjoy the joys of today. Life is short. Enjoy it today. I don't regret owning my iPad 1 for one second, and will enjoy every second of owning my iPad 2.

Those who wait will miss out, but think that somehow they've outsmarted the rest of us, and feel compelled to 'warn' everyone they can, while they hold onto older tech and long for tech that hasn't happened yet, blind to what is in front of them now. This type of thinking leads to needless waiting and cynicism towards those who seize the day.
  11. rich20vt

rich20vt iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i'll be ordering one
  12. Fifi1992

Fifi1992 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Ill be online with you !!!
  13. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    iPAD2 is here ... no one knows what iPAD3 will be. Trust you ... your info is strictly opinion ... zero fact. On the face value of your comment, how could you expect any trust whatsoever?
  14. iluvmyipad

iluvmyipad iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I am trying to decide if I will upgrade to ipad2. I just did the software update, I'll see how that goes first. I saw the ipad2 in best buy, very nice. Incredibly thin, love it.
  15. anathema

anathema iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can't wait to unwrap the box :D
  16. Darkrider

Darkrider iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The ipad2 is faster and has better graphics.

Awesome!!!

The cameras are not as important to me.

The only reason I am not buying one is I can't afford it after buying the first iPad?

To those of us with the money. Go for it. I am glad for you.

The kids and the wife cost a LOT of money.

Tom.
  17. alexsmth114

alexsmth114 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes bro it should be fast, as it is using dual core processor!!..
  18. AJsAWiz

AJsAWiz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't even have to think about upgrading from my iPad. I wanted the iPad2 as soon as I heard about it. It is definitely speedier than the iPad.
  19. Kendo

Kendo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't understand how it can be 4 times faster. My iPad 1 seems lightening fast for what ever I use it for. I would like to give the iPad 2 a go just to test this out.

I considered getting an iPad 2 but bought the camera connection kit and saved myself £700.

I think for "kudos" sake it would be great to have an ipad2 but I just haven't seen/read anything at all to sway me.

Maybe that will all change when I actually get to try one out and my wife and I will have to have that "did we REALLY" need that? Conversation all over again.
  20. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I played with the 2 yesterday at BB for a good 10 minutes, and it definitely is faster. And while I am sure that after a while I would notice, for my day to day use, it wasn't quite the killer difference in speed I expected, but I also don't do heavy gaming, etc. I also don't have any complaints about the iPad 1 browser speed or app opening as it is. I tested the 2's browser and several apps like Pages and iBooks, similar to what I might use. They all were faster, but when I got home, and back on my 1, I didn't find myself feeling that my 1 suddenly stopped performing. I couldn't really discern the difference for my needs, although clearly it is there. So if anything, it's just a testament that the 1 is a great product and the 2 continues it, but the 1 can hold its own in the meantime too for people as a choice.