What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survey: iPad users prefer to hold it in landscape mode and surf at night

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
onswipe-130625-1.jpg

A new report published by Onswipe this week, reveals some of the trends iPad users follow. For example, if you use an Apple tablet you probably agree – landscape mode is the preferred way of holding your tablet. The survey found that 59.8% of people tracked by the company will hold the iPad in that position, while the remaining 41.2% will go for portrait mode.

Portrait mode can be effective when you are working on a document or trying to set up a presentation, of course, but most of us will use the tablet for entertainment purposes like watching movies or playing games.

Another interesting finding Onswipe draws attent​​ion to is that people who own iPhones or iPads tend to be at their most active on their iOS gadgets during the beginning of the week on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Traffic on these devices seems to intensify around 10:00 P.M. and gradually goes down until it reaches the minimum at 4:00 a.m. So, according to the research, we can safely assume Apple fans are nightly creatures.

Onswipe has surveyed users’ social media trends as well and has found that although Facebook and Twitter are pretty popular choices, iPad users still like to share what they find interesting via e-mail.

The Onswipe survey is based on information collected from over 127 million users who used the firm’s media platform. Last but not least, it was revealed that the iPad is the preferred tablet for the users involved in the study, accounting for 94.1% of the traffic. Coming in at number two, the Amazon Kindle Fire has scored 4.1% while Android only managed to snatch 1.8%.

Source: AppleInsider

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On my 3 gen, I use it almost exclusiving in landscape. However, on the mini, I do sometimes switch to portrait mode if the page fits better than way...using portrait mode when called for makes the fonts larger...Once the retina mini arrives I may change this practice. I do prefer landscape for a tablet.

HowardBrazee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By far my most common use of my iPad is for entertainment - in portrait mode. But the article didn't mention my iPad entertainment of choice - reading books.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never use portrait on any tablet. I prefer landscape through and through.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never use portrait on any tablet. I prefer landscape through and through.

Landscape works better on the iPad because the 4:3 aspect ration makes it easier to hold it landscape and still be able to reach the entire screen. I use it in landscape for everything other than reading a magazine.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use landscape and portrait, depending on what's most efficient for what I'm doing. When I look at documents, for example, I usually use portrait so I can see all or most of the page all at once. Portrait also is better if I'm typing a longer note or message, because the keyboard is a more manageable size if I'm holding an iPad and thumb-typing. I also use portrait for book reading, but I usually use different, smaller devices for books.

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use mine in portrait, holding it in my left hand. Also, I read a lot of books, news, you name it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Landscape and I like to surf 24/7. ;)

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Landscape mostly for me.....

I'll use portrait when I use certain apps and need a longer page to see it all.

Most reactions

Latest posts