1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Stupid iPad pic editing

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Poita, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Poita

Poita iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I just noticed that when I edit a pic with the iPads native pic editing such as crop or enhance then save it and export the pic to my PC it exports the pic in its pre edited state rather than the one you edited. What's that all about? I spend hours cropping hundreds of pics only to find out the edits are not real.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    When you view the edited picture on the iPad, though, I'm assuming then you see it in the edited state?

Tim
  3. Poita

Poita iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yes I do but the problem is that i have many folders with different categories of pics. In order to get them out of the camera roll folder and into the folder they are supposed to be in I have to import the pics to my pc then put them into the right folder. Then when I sync back with my iPad they are back on the iPad in their appropriate folder but the edits have gon and they are back in their pre edited state.
  4. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +769 / 0
    Hi Poita - in all honesty, I would not trust the 'native' iPad photo app regarding photo editing (i.e. cropping, resizing, etc.) - I would suggest putting your images onto your computer and using a reliable known photo editing program that you know works for you - then you can always and easily put the altered photos onto the iPad as needed - just a suggestion? Now there are some additional iPad apps (Photogene is one that I use) that may be an alternate, but up to you to decide.

Also another suggestion is to just try a couple of photos to see whatever method you are using is satisfactory - converting hundreds of photos w/o testing first is a path to potential disaster, but just my thought - hope all works out well for you! :)
  5. Poita

Poita iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the input grad man.

Well if I was going to revert to using a OC to do stuff then why have an iPad at all? I got the iPad because I find it super easy to use touch input with a stylus to do this stuff and I can do it on the train or in meetings etc.
    Also, with hindsight I now know that the photo edits with iOs's native editing feature is not permanent but surely there was no way I could have known or even suspected that such a ridiculous thing would happen so naturally I did many. I edited them and they looked edited when I finished. In 25 years of computing on all machines from the Amiga to pc's to phones It's been my experience that when you change a file and click 'save' then it permanently alters that file. Sure it's nice if it 'also' saves the previous version to revert to in case we change our mind but to only allow the saved version on the device it was edited on is crazy. I do love the iPad. It this has been a huge dissapointment. I think I'm gonna do a YouTube video to points it and some other silly iOS design choices out.

Thanks for the app suggestion. Im in the process of trying a. Unch out. I really love 'Touchretouch' and also 'Sketchbook Pro' but they. Oth lack features I like in the iOs editing such as crop and auto enhance. I need an app that has all the features in one package and can have a save stick no matter where the picture is sent, stored or used.

I t
  6. Surfer01

Surfer01 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Seems ridiculous that you cannot save a photo when you have use the edit controls on the iPad.
  7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Agreed. I'm glad OP posted this. I would've taken it for granted that edited photos would save that way.
  8. Poita

Poita iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Phew, thank God for the concurrence.

I was starting to think I was going crazy for expecting it to 'just work'. Apple need to fix this.
  9. timrobben

timrobben iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone care to share their experience with photo editing apps ?

On a related topic, how can i arrange my photos my albums purely from my ipad alone without having to sync with my PC ? i find it kinda annoying that all my photos are all in ONE folder at the moment.
  10. Poita

Poita iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Tim.
    There is NO way to arrange your photos apart from doing in on your pc/mac then re syncing. You can move the folders around if you press and hold on them and you can 'create' new folders in your iPad; but of course they aren't actual folders. They are just shortcuts to what ever pics in the camera roll you send to them ( and by 'send' its just an illusion as all you are really doing is assigning them to be 'also' visible in that new folder as well as in your camera roll). In fact, if you 'send' a pic from the camera roll to a folder you just created (and you can only 'send' them to folders created in the iPad rather than on your PC) then delete it from te camera roll it will also bee deleted from the folder you just sent it to.

Most pic editing or art apps have a default to save any edited pics to the camera roll only. The Photogene app seems to say you can save edited pics from that app directly to the folders you created in the iPad but I'm guessing what it actually does is put the original in your photo stream or camera roll then puts a shortcut to it in your 'created' folder which is really no different from what I described above.

I have resigned myself at the moment to transferring all the pics I edit onto my PC then going through the laborious work of deleting the original from its original folder then manually replacing each from the camera roll. I just have to remember that I should never use the iPads native photo editing features as when you 'save' them the saves aren't real.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  11. Czevski

Czevski iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +254 / 0
    I like Photoshop Express for simple editing. It does save your edits to the saved folder on the ipad1 or camera roll on ipad2. All my photos are in iPad folders, even though it's not for real. It still allows me to choose events or "birds", etc. to show someone. All my photos are from my camera or from the Simple Transfer app.
  12. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    OP, in a pinch, maybe you could edit, then take a screen capture of your edited photo. It'd be a possible workaround if you really wanted to edit a few photos and save changes.

You shouldn't have to find a workaround, of course, because a photo app shouldn't be as stunted as the current native one.
  13. Surfer01

Surfer01 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    This begs the question of whether a print off of the photo will have the edit or will it be the original photo. We mostly use the red eye feature on the edit menu. Also find it annoying that you cannot delete photos that have been imported from your PC.
  14. Poita

Poita iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yeah I considered doing a screen cap as a work around. I can use other program's to crop but I really like the native apps enhance. It's a one button sollution and almost all the time its a massive improvement. Oath er apps have too many options and have to be adjusted manually and with the endless options for enhancement I can never decide what is best. So I love the iOS crop and enhance, if only they were permanent once I click save.

I just bought Photogene and so far it looks like a great program. Need to play with it more.
  15. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,691 / 0
    Poita: I agree, not having the saved edits be, well, saved (!) is a real kick in the teeth.

Not that you want to spend any more money to work around an app that should work, but, I have the app Photo-Sort. If I edit a photo in the Photo app, save it, open the Photo-Sort app and then download that photo to the Photo-Sort app, the edits "stick" [in Photo-Sort]. So, there's that.

I've just decided to continue to use Photo-Sort for my picture sorting, because I just can't get used to the new albums in the stock Photo app having a link to the original picture. Still too hard to look through the main album. And now, with this ... quirk ... that you found? Meh. No thanks. I like how Photo-Sort works to create new albums. Of course, you'd still have to delete the photos out of the stock Photo app, cause they'd be duplicate otherwise, but still.

Anyway, not an endorsement of Photo-Sort, per se. Just an observation of what I do as a workaround to your edit problem. Or, discovery, I should say. And - while I appreciate your annoyance at discovering this problem with the Photo app - I sure want to thank you for posting about it. Because, you saved me (and probably countless others!) a lot of time trying to figure out why edits aren't saved. So, THANKS!

Marilyn
  16. Poita

Poita iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Maryilyn.

Actually your sollution never occurred to me. It's elegant in its simplicity. I don't mind deleting the original as that's quite easy.

I have bought (although the maker kindly sent me a promo code) Photogene and I have to say its an amazing app for the price. I wrote to the developer with some questions and I'll copy his reply here. I'm sure he won't mind. I do recommend the app though as its well laid out and has some great features.

Here is his reply.

To answer your questions:
    1. Regarding albums: in iOS 5, photos can only reside inside albums created by the OS (either predefines ones like "camera roll" or "all imported", or albums synced from your computer). *As you noticed, the albums you create yourself can hold links to those photos, but not the files themselves. So if you delete the original photo, it will also be removed from all the albums that linked to it.
    This applies to Photogene as well. Photogene works directly on your iPad's photos library - we don't create our own library or albums storage. This means you'll have the same problems if you use our app. There are some other apps that have their own storage and can manage albums better than iOS. But you have to import all of your photos into those apps and the files you store there are not accessible to any other app, so I think they are not very useful.

2. Regarding edited version not imported to computer: yes, indeed. I don't know why they did it like that. Maybe they'll fix it in a future iPhoto / iOS update. Photogene stores all the edits you make in an internal database. Once you are happy with the results you can export (save) the edited photos to your camera roll. They are saved as new photos which can later be imported to your computer. But since 3rd party apps cannot overwrite/delete existing photos you'll end up with two copies of every photo: the original, and the edited version saved by Photogene.

3. Regarding saving edited photo directly to an album: technically can be done, but we still don't support it. At the moment you have to save edited photos to your camera roll and only later transfer them to the desired albums. But we are working on this feature.

Hope this answers you questions.

Cheers,

* *Omer
  17. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,691 / 0
    Oh, but I LIKE PhotoGene! Especially the ability to resize the photo (along with crop).

Between this app and Photo-Sort to make true albums (no links!), I am a happy person.

Marilyn
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  18. Poita

Poita iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I bought Photogene and the more I use it the more I like it.

I also bought picsort and I'm just getting into it. It's a bit complicated. Am I right though in assuming that apps such as Photogene, Sketchbook Pro and Keynote can't load or save pics from or to it? Then what use is it?
  19. Brode2

Brode2 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like the developer of PhotoGene said, edited photos are saved to "Saved Photos" on iPad 1, and to "camera Roll" on iPad 2. That saved edit does not overwrite the original, it creates a new image. That's a good thing.....you are preserving the original file like a film negative, always in its original state. It costs you $199 for Adobe Lightroom to do that on the computer.

I, too, found PhotoGene and was amazed, however, I've since graduated to Filterstorm. I find it's advanced masking ability to be very easy and extremely usefull. I ca pretty much now do everything on Filterstorm that I could do on Lightroom, including metadata editing.

Mike
  20. Poita

Poita iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Well it's ok to have the original saved. The problem is when the updated one 'isn't' saved and it's just a temporary cosmetic change.

I'll check filter storm out but I'm not so interested in filters. I basically need to crop, auto enhance, edit out some details like 'Touchretouch' does (although it seems Photogene has a similar function.
    Actually, having too many filter options is confusing for me as Im slightly colourblind anyway and too many options implicate it. I'm the same with equalisers ion music systems.