What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Alerts

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since upgrading to 5.0.1 (or maybe it happened in 5.0?) I have been getting seemingly random audio alerts. They sound the same as incoming email notifications, but occur at other times as well. Seems to happen each time I pick the iPad up (maybe the inertial sensor?) and often when I touch the connector when it is charging. I think at other times too.

I have tried turning off all notification sounds, but no soap.

Any ideas?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You ain't alone, buddy. Mine aren't associated with moving or touching the iPad. They occur while the iPad is sitting quietly on my desk.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check under Settings > General > Sounds. You may see something there to give you an idea of what is happening. Or maybe not.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Check under Settings > General > Sounds. You may see something there to give you an idea of what is happening. Or maybe not.

Nope, the "maybe not" unfortunately seems to be the case. Went there, did that, but mo luck.

Maybe it's the CIA or FBI or Homeland Security checking what I am doing? Or maybe extraterrestrials about to invade through our iPads?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, the only other thing I can thing of is that your cable isn't connecting well. The iPad beeps whenever it is plugged into power, so if the cable connection is poor, it might beep for vibrations or slight movements of the iPad. Your description of the problem sounds suspiciously like that.

Wiggle the connector at different points and see what happens.

If that turns out to be it, hopefully it's the cable and not the port itself.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Hmm, the only other thing I can thing of is that your cable isn't connecting well. The iPad beeps whenever it is plugged into power, so if the cable connection is poor, it might beep for vibrations or slight movements of the iPad. Your description of the problem sounds suspiciously like that.

Wiggle the connector at different points and see what happens.

If that turns out to be it, hopefully it's the cable and not the port itself.

Yep. You are right about the cable: it's a cheapo that I got because of it being much longer than the Apple Store version. So there is indeed a poor contact problem, but I can manually hold the connector so that it maintains contact as I pick the iPad up---and I still get tehe beeps.

P. S. Well, Duh! I am really brilliant, I am!

Took this long for me to check your hypothesis by simply unplugging and waltzing it, like Mathilda, around. Bingo! No alerts'. Must have been that cheapo charging cable connector. (Don't think it's the connector because things work fine on the Apple cable.)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got it nailed. You got to watch those cheap deals.

At least now you know.

Not that it helps jsh with his mystery sounds. ;)

Malaca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has been happening to me time to time too since I upgraded it to 5.0.1 . Not like Heaviside, it happens also when it is not plugged or no wi-fi connection. Happens when I'm sitting in the car driving, at work, etc.. (no connection at all). I disabled all alerts and it insists on making this "susuu" sound. It's kind of embarassing in certain situations... I have to turn it off... At least I know I'm not alone on this. I even thought it could be some kind of virus. Hope not.

Malaca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has been happening to me time to time too since I upgraded it to 5.0.1 . Not like Heaviside, it happens also when it is not plugged or no wi-fi connection. Happens when I'm sitting in the car driving, at work, etc.. (no connection at all). I disabled all alerts and it insists on making this "susuu" sound. It's kind of embarassing in certain situations... I have to turn it off... At least I know I'm not alone on this. I even thought it could be some kind of virus. Hope not.

It's worthy to mention that I checked all sounds that resides in iPad: alert tones from 'ALERT' to 'UPDATE' and ringtones from 'MARIMBA' to 'XYLOPHONE' and none of them sounds like "susuu" sound. So.., where this comes from??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Malaca said:
It's worthy to mention that I checked all sounds that resides in iPad: alert tones from 'ALERT' to 'UPDATE' and ringtones from 'MARIMBA' to 'XYLOPHONE' and none of them sounds like "susuu" sound. So.., where this comes from??

I doubt it is what you are hearing, but try turning the Lock Sounds off then on to see what it sounds like.

Malaca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt it is what you are hearing, but try turning the Lock Sounds off then on to see what it sounds like.

I think you didn't understand. None of the sounds in my iPad (notifications, alerts or ring tones), sounds like the one that comes up time to time. Thanks anyway for replying :rolleyes:

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Malaca said:
I think you didn't understand. None of the sounds in my iPad (notifications, alerts or ring tones), sounds like the one that comes up time to time. Thanks anyway for replying :rolleyes:

I left the movies tonight (The Avangers was fantastic!!) and my iPad was resting comfortably between my bucket seat and he center console. I had a carload of kids each with varying devices like phones, kindles, iPads etc. when I'm driving it s not uncommon for my iPad to issue an audible email alert. This is caused by my iPad jumping on one of the many xfinity hotspots around town.

With that said five minutes into our ride I, and all 3 kids, heard an alert none of us recognized. I cannot be positive but I swore it came from the iPad. I dismissed it as my not hearing clearly or one go the kids farting around. This is the second time since upgrading to 5.1.1 that I've heard what I believe to be an iPad issued alert, both while driving.

I have a tool called system status that grants me access to the iOS logs on the iPad. I checked about a half hour after tonight's incident to see if the logs could offer any insight. Nothing jumped out but these logs are big and too much time had passed before I dove in.

Today I plan to clear the logs and hope to reproduce the alert as both times I think I heard it I was driving so I have errands to run and intend to monitor the logs and device behavior while puttering around town.

Will post update and any log entries of value sometime tomorrow (today actually) .

Nobody is crazy.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While driving around?

You've probably already thought of this, but I'd concentrate on localization and perhaps background GPS tasks. Some GPS tasks like Find My iPad and Find Friends can be activated by another person remotely (if authorized). I've never heard an alert when this happens, but you never know.

Most reactions

Latest posts