What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to eliminate notification sound

Compiler777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using IOS7.1.1

My ipad makes a sound every time a notification occurs. I can't seem to find a setting to turn that feature off.

I just want the sound off when a notification happens.

What am I missing?

Mel

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - Notification Center open the app/s that you hear every time. Then you can find something like "Sound" or "Alert sound", which has to be disabled.

Also, if your Side Switch is set to mute, enable it (it shows the red part then) to mute alert sounds. If it's not set to mute, open the Control Center and press the Mute button there.

Hope that helps.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Using IOS7.1.1

My ipad makes a sound every time a notification occurs. I can't seem to find a setting to turn that feature off.

Not sure that there is a 'global' setting that can mute all sound on your notifications; but you should be able to disable sound for the specific apps that may be the most annoying to you. First, try going to Settings -> Notification Center, then select the app(s) that you want to mute the sound and tap on each - 'Sounds' or 'Notification Alerts' should be an option that can be changed; or go to Settings -> Sounds - there 'Alert Tones' can be usually set to 'None' - let us know if this helps. Dave :)

OP
C

Compiler777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Issue seems to be resolved. There seems to be no global setting

Mel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mute is the closest to a global setting; however it is more global than you probably want, since it affects all system sounds, not just notifications.

Mute does not affect music apps or most other apps. It's meant to suppress unexpected sounds, not the what you've started playing intentionally. There are exceptions, because not all app developers implement it correctly.

Most reactions

Latest posts