What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing maps?

Kenstephens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Want to go on a multi-day driving tour in areas where there will not be phone or network cover.

Is there a way to download the maps I need beforehand and access them on my iPad when there is no network coverage?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When we did a long driving trip to New Orleans and Louisianna last Fall I set our route on Google maps and then did printscreens of them for reference during the trip (Ipad 1 wifi only though I did have access to a mobile hot spot). The printscreens were available in my Photo app and I had many of them. (Printscreens are done by pressing home and on/off switch at same time). I would also check various apps --some may allow downloading of maps for offline use.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Supposely there is now a way to do this in Google Maps (and any deviation from your orignal plan might mean you don't have map support, so be careful)...but I gave up on that and just paid for Navigon...with it you can download maps on a state-by-state basis so you know for sure you have all the maps you need (wise to do this downloading while on Wifi, not 3G/4G). I think there are several other Nav apps that have downloadable makes. With these, you don't need 3G/4G for map data and you don't need to use your data plan at all (all of that map downloading can eat through your data plan if you don't force the maps to download and save ahead of time), but you do need the GPS chip in the iPad, so you need to have the 3G/4G model or the wifi model with a GPS receiver that connects to your iPad via Bluetooth. You can get one of these on Amazon. They work very well and have wider use than for just your iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are several GPS navigation apps that store all the maps on the iPad, just like dedicated GPS Nav devices.

I use CoPilot Live, and like it well enough. It's about middle of the road in price.

NavFree is, well, free. The app and map quality is lower than the pay for apps, but it's free.

Most reactions

Latest posts