Offline maps using Ipad 2 - confused

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by bel79, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bel79

bel79
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Brilliant, thanks again! And I know I keep harping on about this, but could you use the UK Maps app with both WiFi only and 3G iPad? (I'm still making sense of it all in my head!)

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    It will work fine with both - with the WiFi model you will get an approximate position when the iPad can 'see' a WiFi hotspot that's been entered into the Apple database of WiFi hotspot locations. So, usually, hotspots that are in the shopping mall - Starbucks, McDonalds etc - are in the database and, when the iPad can 'see' them, it uses the location for mapping purposes. Some Members have asked how they can get their home WiFi into the Apple database and the answer is simple, get someone with a GPS iPhone or iPad to come and visit. The iPhone and iPad will automatically record the location of the hotspot and send it to Apple. You'll have seen some recent publicity about the contraversy surrounding Apple's use of this tracking technology but, if you read the small print of the contract you signed when you opened your iTunes account - right near the end where no-one ever reads - you gave Apple permission to do this......:(

Tim

3. Confucious

Confucious
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    For the USA CoPilot live premium HD USA is only £8.99 at the moment.

Bargain!

[Edit] I had better register my interest here, in case anyone accuses me of bias - I do actually beta test for ALK so, although I am not employed by them I do have an interest. But the reason I beta test for ALK rather than TomTom is because I believe their products are better - I first bought CoPilot for WinMo in 2004 and have been using it ever since. [/Edit]

#13 Confucious, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. bel79

bel79
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Very useful to know! And (last question I promise!), does your WiFi have to be on for you to use the app? Or can it be funcational whatever the situation? (If you have WiFi only iPad that is).

5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    The map apps that download the maps 'up front', don't need WiFi to be on to be used - though, clearly, you would get no indication whatsoever of your location. The iPad's native Maps app, as you're aware, downloads maps 'on the fly', so it generally needs Internet connectivity - you can scroll around in the area/map tile that's been downloaded, of course, but if you move off that map tile you need Internet connectivity to be able to download the next tile. The iPad's Maps app does have the capability of downloading multiple tiles in advance.

But the apps that we've been talking about do download either all - or some - of the tiles in advance and so don't need Internet connectivity - i.e. WiFi - to be able to be used though - to repeat the point - you'd get no positional information whatsoever if WiFi was turned off.

Tim

6. Confucious

Confucious
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    "

1. Does CoPilot Live work with iPad and iPad 2?CoPilot Live is only fully compatible with 3G models of iPad and iPad 2. It can run on Wi-Fi iPads however these devices do not have a GPS receiver, so you will need to purchase an external GPS receiver in order to use turn-by-turn guidance."

External GPS receivers are quite cheap - I've never tried one with an iPad though...

CoPilot will store the maps for the whole of the USA on your device so does not need a connection.

7. bel79

bel79
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    thanks again!

8. Nick Burns

Nick Burns
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm also interested in this capability, but Navigon is a $60 app + $20 traffic addon and as mentioned with the TomTom app it would almost be better to just buy the GPS. So which App is best used to show directions while offline? Sort of like when you use Google Maps, you set your endpoints and print the directions. I'd like to see the same capability, less the printing part, but just save the set of directions to the iPad.

Thanks.

9. Confucious

Confucious
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Try CoPilot?

10. Plainsman

Plainsman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know if the Irish OS maps can also be downloaded in some similar fashion?