Offline maps using Ipad 2 - confused

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by bel79, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bel79

bel79
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello - I hope you can help. I'm about to buy my first Ipad 2 and am planning to get a WiFi only version. However, I'm not sure how good it's going to be for offline maps as I know it doesn't have GPS capability. I'm doing a US road trip soon (Nashville to New Orleans to Memphis) and ideally would want some maps to help me when driving. They don't need to be turn-by-turn navigation (for which GPS is needed), but just a general A to B to C map (of the kind you might map out on mapquest/google maps and print out with directions). Are there any good Ipad map apps for this? (Note: ideally I don't want to prepare screen shots before and then look at them as photos. So it would be good to be able to download maps for all 4 states I'll be passing through on the trip, TN, AL, LA, MS, and then enter our chosen direction on the road - if that's possible!)
    Or should I just pay extra and buy the 3G version and then purchase something like MotionX GPS Drive? (I'm not likely to ever use the 3G version for anything else other than the GPS though).
    Thank you! :)

2. Pocobear

Pocobear
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Get the 3G version if you are going to be using it for travel. You don't have to have a data plan, if you purchase an app like NAVIGON or TomTom that download maps onto your iPad, so you won't have data charges while you are traveling. GPS is handy for all apps that use location info, to find business, restaurants, gas stations, etc., while traveling. And, as there's a lot of construction of new roads and overpasses going on this time of year, it will be a god send, when you have to take a detour. They can even alert you to traffic jams ahead in many cities.

3. bel79

bel79
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks so much for this! Very useful. But how much can you actually use maps without 3G/GPS? Are there any good apps at all for this?

4. K1W1

K1W1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I think they will give you a reasonable general idea of where you are but of course that will only be any good if you have phone reception. The non GPS mapping works by referencing phone signal towers.
    For the price of what you pay for the TomTom App you could buy a brand new real TomTom GPS with a map loaded and have 100% accuracy.

5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    You don't need GPS to use the maps; it's just that the iPad won't be able to tell you where you are - so you'll be using the maps like a paper map and scrolling through them manually.

Tim

6. bel79

bel79
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    thanks! although i meant more how useful are the maps if you're actually offline and have no GPS!

7. bel79

bel79
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Tim. I think this answers it. I did understand that without GPS the iPad won't be able to tell me where I am, but I wasn't sure if you could use (pre-loaded) maps at all without GPS. It looks like you can. Although I'm not sure what 'manually' means - do you mean scrolling or are there search functions of any kind? sorry if they're daft questions, i'm a complete novice so no idea how any apps work!

8. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    It depends which mapping app you go for. Some allow you to search for a location by latitude and longitude, some by zip or postal code, others by town name. If you look at the various apps that have been mentioned in the App Store, you'll get some idea of the facilities that each app offers.

Tim

9. bel79

bel79
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Wondeful - thanks to everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it.
    It's more money but perhaps I sholud just fork out for the 3G one - you never know when I might need it and I might regret not getting it! :)

10. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I know your original request was specifically for the US but, when you're back in the UK, I'd recommend 'UK Maps'. The app is reasonably priced but the best part is that you can then download any number of Ordnance Survey maps - at 1:25000 and/or 1:10000 absolutely free. The maps can be downloaded off-line and they're then stored on the iPad - they're the real, original and entirely legal OS maps in all their glory.

Tim