What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

starwalk vs luminos

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone compared these two astronomy apps? I haven't been able to find out much online about them. I've seen one YouTube review of Luminos.

Just wondering how they compare since they are priced within reason. Luminos is on sale for $8 right now.

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Copying my reply to your other post - sorry didn't notice this new post at first.

"I now own 3 astronomy apps, StarWalk, Luminos, and Distant Suns. The only one I use anymore is Luminos for several reasons..

So far its the only one that uses high def graphics and textures, the only one that lets me zoom REAL close to objects (in starwalk I can only zoom to a moon or planet to about the size of my thumbnail). Luminos also provides alot more technical data, articles and links...also provides full credit to all agencies, individuals and organizations involved with any texture they use and I respect that alot. It just has much higher production standards and isn't gimmicky.

Oh and yes, in Luminos you can just hold it up to the sky and it goes into the auto mode which lets you just turn about and it will show you your actual sky. Another big difference with Luminos is it uses actual 3D terrain for wherever you are, so if there is a mountain blocking your view of something you will actually see that there is a mountain blocking your view which is awfully nice to have."

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that quick feedback. Starwalk enjoys high ratings. But it sounds like Luminos is the one to have. With the current sale, I think I'll spring for it.

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. Come back and let me know what you think! (and check out some of the hubble images under the Deep Space section, I dont have anyone to talk to about those and they are so amazing!)

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got Luminos... and kinda want to get Starwalk just to compare. Wish there were trial versions. While each app is relatively inexpensive, it all starts to add up after a while.

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Speed, I can post a few screenshots of starwalk if you want. Not sure if that will help but might save you a few bucks.... give me a minute and Ill put up a moon screenshot and maybe mars or something (I'll do the full zoom on starwalk since thats one of my big complaints about it)
Ok here you go Speed, in both of these screens I zoomed as close as you can in Starwalk.

starwalkmoon.png

starwalkmars.png

Ok here's the same two images from Luminos:

luminosmars.png

luminosmoon.png

Well that should demonstrate why I think so poorly of Starwalk since I bought Luminos!

Last edited:
OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Holy smoke. That is tiny! Luminos lets you zoom into a crater on the moon! (as you know).

You should post some similar Luminos screen shots for the benefit of others with a similar question.

I have a question. I searched for the Hubble Deep Field but got no results. Do I need to load another catalog or something for those shots?

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heya, click the little magnifying glass then click Hubble Images....if there is no green check mark in the little circle to the left of that just touch the circle to turn the images on. Each time I went to one of the images for the first time it took 3 or 4 seconds to download it but after that its there always. Thats a good idea about putting tne same screenshots up from Luminos with the star walk ones.

Update: Ok Speed I went back and edited the part where I put the Starwalk screenshots so there now the same from Luminos right after them!

Oh hey Speed, another tip man...click the magnifying lens then click 'Stars'...under catalogs you will see Hipparcos (that installs when you download the app) and under that the Tycho 2 catalog which has the 2.5 million stars...you just click that install button next to it and you can add that catalog (free), guess they were trying to cut down the initial download time. Also, 2 icons to the right of the magnifying lens, the one that looks like a targeting reticle? Click that and under Countries install the United States, this adds the 3D terrain for the whole country. You can add 3D terrain for the whole world now too by clicking 'All Countries' under the U.S. one and select which countries you want (those are all free too)

Last edited:
OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I click the Magnifying glass, then Deep Space, then I see Hubble Images with a yellow circle and check mark. I choose Hubble Images then type in Deep field in the search box and get no results in the box below.

Also, if I go to a galaxy, (like Andromeda) I see some stylized image and not an image of Andromeda.

I guess the next step is for me to thoroughly check out the user guide!

Edit: thanks for the tips. I just noticed the green bar by the Tycho 2 catalog and am d/l it now. I already had the US 3d loaded.

Great job showing the differences between SW and Luminos in those pics of the Moon and Mars.

Last edited:

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey again Speed!
Once you're at the Hubble Images part dont bother with a search (was wrong search string anyway hehe), just touch 'Hubble Images' to open that listing and you will see all the images.

That weird symbol thing you saw I had to look up as well. That is the universal symbol used in astronomy/physics to represent ...I think its constellations or galaxies I forget which.

Also some of the object/images in Luminos give you both options...look at bottom center of screen when you have it selected and sometimes you will that universal symbol thing and an image next to it, you can just touch on each one to switch back and forth.

I HIGHLY recommend the user manual in the app, its amazingly well done and helped me a TON.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! Wish I had this side by side before I bought Starwalk! Great screen shots Mark.

OP
S

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a nice view of the crescent moon and Venus this morning when I got up. So I cranked up Luminos and brought up the free look mode. I found that I had to point the iPad about 30* or so right of the actual location of the moon to see it on the iPad. To clarify, I had to look about 30* or so left of the iPad to see what was displayed onscreen in Free Look mode.

Occasionally Luminos would ask me to perform a figure 8 to calibrate the compass and then the msg would go away. But it never changed the orientation of the Luminos display vs the actual location of the moon and Venus.

Have you found this to be true in Luminos too? I believe Starwalk has a similar feature. Is it any more or less accurate?

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heya speed, not sure about the 30 deg part but I have had the figure 8 message but not very often. Im curious about how all that works so I emailed the dev, hopefully hear back today...if do Ill post it immediately. Going outside now to play with the free look some more.

Texas_Mark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey speed, finally got to test that auto orientation like you were mentioning. Mine was hitting spot on....had a thought though. Click that targeting reticle icon and then click detect current location, sounds kinda like its using a default location tjat is 30 degrees off from you. No response on email yet, im in cst though and its still early. Let me know if that works bud.

Most reactions

Latest posts