What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 display colors / hue vs iPad 2 and other displays

rconn2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I once was disappointed with my iPad 3's display -- my main reason for getting it. When I was comparing battery times with my iPad 2, side by side, I noticed significant differences in colors. Some ocean scenes were a darker, more indigo, blue on the 3 vs. a lighter blue; some grass scenes were much brighter green on the 3. The difference is easily observable comparing the newsstand app: the 3 is yellowish compared to the 2 which is reddish. It can also be seen in blues such as the links on Craigslist: the 3 is a darker blue.

So, yellowish vs. reddish. But, which is more accurate? More natural?

I've compared test patterns and photos and video scenes on both and also while displayed on a Sony HDTV and a Panasonic Plasma. And, I've compared photos taken on both and sync'd between both (to eliminate any camera effect) and compared to the physical reality. The 2 is too reddish. Some blues in reality and on the TV's are in between the 3 and 2. I've found that the iPad 3's display is more accurate.

I just took some photos of light coming through Venetian blinds on my 3 and 2. I photosync'd them between both and displayed the same pictures at the same time while holding them up to the physical scene. The 3 shows a close color match -- it seems identical... bright light, whites, shadows... the 2 showing the same pictures is distinctly reddish muddy and not a good match.

I've only been doing these comparisons for fun. I've already decided the iPad 3 display is incredible with excellent overall color fidelity. For those comparing to the 2, be aware that the 2 isn't neccessarily an accurate standard. And, perception is also tricky and how we adjust.

Take some snapshots with the 2 and 3 and compare to physical reality.

Nails

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am so glad to see your report. I did the same thing yesterday as you are talking about and I came up with the same conclusion.....my new IPad has the most accurate colors. Like you I was upset with the slight yellow tinge in this IPad and was wanting to
return it but but so far they don't have anymore in stock .....so yesterday I really got busy and compared the IPad 2 and the new IPad 3 and I like the new one so much better. Although I do wish the whites were a little whiter on this new one I have decided to keep this one
this IPad works great ......if I took it back I could end up with worse problems like light leakage
etc or missing pixels. People who never had an IPad before would more than likely not know anything different and not notice the
yellow. I forget all about it if I only use the IPad 3. It's when I pick up the IPad 2 and go back and forth I really see the difference now. I enjoy the photography and want the truest colors on my pictures so I am keeping my new IPad. My husband uses the
IPad 2 a lot to watch television through sling box.

I have had 3 versions of the IPad so I noticed the slight yellow tinge immediately.

Thank you for your information ....you verified what I came up with yesterday.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
OP
R

rconn2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're welcome... glad to know other's have reached the same conclusion.

Most reactions