What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notes Plus vs. Note Taker HD

mkitchen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know there have been lots of posts on what the best note taking app is and everyone has their favorite, I have searched and I have read them.

My question is specifically on comparing this two. I have narrowed it down to these two as I need shapes for for flow charts and wireframing.

Specifically I need to know about writing in the app using the zoom window. I've read a lot of reviews in the app store that the notes plus app can get extremely sluggish and non responsive. Has anyone found this to be true?

I hear that Notes Plus writes smoother because of its smoothing system and that Note Taker HD is clunkier. I really don't want to spend an extra $5 or $6 to try both of them.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and as a side note I did try Upad and really liked it, but the lack of shapes was an issue.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's been an update to Notes Plus (which I have) just today that's supposed to fix some of the 'issues' that you mention with this app. Not had time to check out whether there are any improvements but be careful when you get comments that the posters are referring to this very recent update.

Having said that, I like Notes Plus a lot - the developer is really responsive. Check out the demo videos on his web site. He enters into long discussions with users too on issues and takes a really personal interest in his customers.

Tim
Scotland

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1st I would like to invite you over to ****where we have extensive video reviews on both these apps. I totally agree with your decision to pick one of these two! It's a tough one, but after extensive usage of both I have to say if you really only want one, get NotesPlus. It simply gives you more bang for your buck. Viet, it's developer, has and continues to pour his heart into this great iPad app...you can't go wrong in selecting it, but check out our videos and make up your own mind.

I found no such reviews on your website.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

mkitchen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Her post was deleted, but they weren't good reviews anyway, most of the time was talking about the app, very little actually showing the app.

I really wish these apps had "lite" versions like UPad does. For this reason alone I am almost leaning towards UPad. It is a little slow, but I know how well the zoom in text feature works so I don't have to worry about that cause I was able to test it. I guess I will just have to draw my shapes if I go this route...

OP
M

mkitchen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more thing... if I am going to go by App Store reviews then I would have to go with Note Taker HD. It is the only one of the three I am considering (Notes Plus and UPad the others) that has 0 negative reviews w/in the last month on crashing and losing data. I know Viet is extremely involved with his project but so is dan....
But alas, upon viewing the Note Taker HD video again there seems to be some slight lag when writing which I fear would drive me crazy. UPad has none...
Uhg, I deliberate way too much.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to interject this, but is not ovaries in that colony as well. I know they offer handwriting rec but they seem to try to integrate that capability into a notes plus nthd style. I'm leaning more towards notes plus now because of the different organization but phatpad can use drop box.

So questions:
Can NTHD and Notes+ use drop box?
Does NTHD have recording capability.
What are these "notes" saved as In format?
Can you type in NTHD?

All I got for now. I hope you forgive my intrusion.

OP
M

mkitchen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So questions:
Can NTHD and Notes+ use drop box
-Right now no on both accounts, although it seems that Notes+ is getting closer in the next update or two
Does NTHD have recording capability.
-Not that I can see at all (and i should know as I have read profusely
What are these "notes" saved as In format?
-They all save in local memory as some file type that they don't specify but you can export them all as PDF, which seems to be the standard
Can you type in NTHD?
-You can add text boxes to type with, not as quick as the "two finger tap to type" that Notes Plus offers.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for prompt response. Looks like I'll be leaning towards notes plus as well but phat and write pads too. I'm a writer, so it would be like changing notebooks. Have you chosen a stylus?

OP
M

mkitchen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the targus/griffin/boxwave stylus. It's working great, i've used it a lot so far with Penultimate and the UPad lite version. Definitely a different feel than a pen, but you get used to it and to me the merits greatly outweigh the sacrifices.

Here's a link to the stylus. It's also pretty cheap compared to others.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Stylus-iPhone-Tablet-AMM01US/dp/B003ZSHKIY]Amazon.com: Targus Stylus for Apple iPad 16GB, 32GB, 64GB WiFi + 3G, iPad 2, iPhone, iPod, Tablet AMM01US (Black): Electronics[/ame]
I clip it to the reach around snap tab of my acase case. It's small size makes it easy to go everywhere w/ the iPad.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I watched a YouTube about phatpad and they were comparing it to writepad, acting as if pp was better but I just went to the site, and their made by the same ppl! Humph!

OP
M

mkitchen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting stylus. Looks decent, but the lack of clip is a deal breaker for me.

Phatpad seems more concerned with handwriting to text conversion then getting down how to write neatly and efficiently w/ a stylus. I could care less about handwriting to text conversion, i just want to feel like i'm writing on paper.

Most reactions

Latest posts