Spellcheck

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by ian russell, Aug 13, 2011.

1. ian russell

ian russell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm trying to write an article for a web site using iPad. I'm notorious for my poor spelling so I need to pass it through a spellcheck before publishing. I see in the Settings that my spellcheck was off, so I switched it on. Now how do I get it to spellcheck my document?

I initially used the app, Writing Kit, but have copied it into Office HD to see if this works. According to the iPad User Manual, I should expect suspect spellings to be underlined in the usual way, but nothing showsin either app. I can't believe I got every word right!

Any new input I deliberately misspell gets underlined now so I know it's on. But doesn't it work retrospectively? Is there an app that does?

Help!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0
    Huh. Ya know, I never thought of looking for something like that for the iPad (and me, a compulsive "get the word spelled right" person!). A retroactive spell checker... The thought/challenge was too much to resist, so I went hunting.

However, not much out there. Most apps I found either were dictionaries, or were able to only check one word at a time, as you typed them in (like the default currently works on the iPad). Then, there were the ones that checked e-mails, but only allowed you to type in the app. But, I found two that might work:

The only iPad app I could find was SpellCheckPlus Mobile ($5.99, USD). Bit pricey (so I didn't get it to try) and not good reviews - although the description sounds pretty decent.

Then, I found an iPhone app - iSpellChecker (free!). And it works! I copied some poorly spelled text from my Notes app, pasted it into the app, hit the ABC button and it found all my errors (it underlined the incorrectly spelled words). Then, I tapped on the underlined word and the app offers correctly spelled words. Select the right one and it changes it. Then, after all corrections are made, I was able to copy it all (has a button so you can copy the whole entry) and re-paste it back into my Notes app. Not to badly done at that!

Yeah, it's an iPhone app and so is pixelated at 2X. Oh, and it is ad-supported.

But, for free and for it's ability to allow you to paste text, check the text and then re-copy for pasting elsewhere? Priceless.

Anyway. That's what I got. I'm keeping this app on my iPad "just in case." Thanks for posting your question 'cause I found me something new with potential. Kewl!

Good luck.

Marilyn
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,200 / 1
    Pages spell checks everything (when the feature is turned on) whether it was pasted, imported, or whatever.

While I've never used them I'm sure Documents to Go and QuickOffice do as well.
  4. ian russell

ian russell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Marilyn! I really appreciate you going the extra mile for this. I'm going to get that app.

Hey, looks like I was right with my first assumption - I'm an idiot.

TwerpPoet, you got me thinking, why doesn't Office HD have a spell checker that works over the whole document?! I'd looked at the settings menu and there was nothing! Like most guys I never look at the instructions, but when I did after T-P's answer, I find there's more sub-settings under the toolbar commands. Whatsmore, some of the toolbar is hidden from view, you have to swipe it!

So I found a spell checker and it was switched off. Switching it on, lines appear under lots of words, as expected. Tapping on the words reveals a list of suggested corrections and tapping on one of these revises the document. What could be better?! One thing, I'm English and the dictionary is American. Oh well, as my mum would say, you can't expect everything.

Thanks for sorting me out guys!

5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,200 / 1
    Go to the Settings app. Under the General setting go to International, Language, and change it to British English. I believe this will change the dictionary. It will also change the date/time format, starting date on the calendar, and a few other regional options.
  6. ian russell

ian russell iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ah, that's done it and no mistake. Thanks. Who'd have thought it'd be tucked all the way down the list.