What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spellcheck

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to write an article for a web site using iPad. I'm notorious for my poor spelling so I need to pass it through a spellcheck before publishing. I see in the Settings that my spellcheck was off, so I switched it on. Now how do I get it to spellcheck my document?

I initially used the app, Writing Kit, but have copied it into Office HD to see if this works. According to the iPad User Manual, I should expect suspect spellings to be underlined in the usual way, but nothing showsin either app. I can't believe I got every word right!

Any new input I deliberately misspell gets underlined now so I know it's on. But doesn't it work retrospectively? Is there an app that does?

Help!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. Ya know, I never thought of looking for something like that for the iPad (and me, a compulsive "get the word spelled right" person!). A retroactive spell checker... The thought/challenge was too much to resist, so I went hunting.

However, not much out there. Most apps I found either were dictionaries, or were able to only check one word at a time, as you typed them in (like the default currently works on the iPad). Then, there were the ones that checked e-mails, but only allowed you to type in the app. But, I found two that might work:

The only iPad app I could find was SpellCheckPlus Mobile ($5.99, USD). Bit pricey (so I didn't get it to try) and not good reviews - although the description sounds pretty decent.

Then, I found an iPhone app - iSpellChecker (free!). And it works! I copied some poorly spelled text from my Notes app, pasted it into the app, hit the ABC button and it found all my errors (it underlined the incorrectly spelled words). Then, I tapped on the underlined word and the app offers correctly spelled words. Select the right one and it changes it. Then, after all corrections are made, I was able to copy it all (has a button so you can copy the whole entry) and re-paste it back into my Notes app. Not to badly done at that!

Yeah, it's an iPhone app and so is pixelated at 2X. Oh, and it is ad-supported.

But, for free and for it's ability to allow you to paste text, check the text and then re-copy for pasting elsewhere? Priceless.

Anyway. That's what I got. I'm keeping this app on my iPad "just in case." Thanks for posting your question 'cause I found me something new with potential. Kewl!

Good luck.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pages spell checks everything (when the feature is turned on) whether it was pasted, imported, or whatever.

While I've never used them I'm sure Documents to Go and QuickOffice do as well.

OP
I

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn! I really appreciate you going the extra mile for this. I'm going to get that app.

Hey, looks like I was right with my first assumption - I'm an idiot.

TwerpPoet, you got me thinking, why doesn't Office HD have a spell checker that works over the whole document?! I'd looked at the settings menu and there was nothing! Like most guys I never look at the instructions, but when I did after T-P's answer, I find there's more sub-settings under the toolbar commands. Whatsmore, some of the toolbar is hidden from view, you have to swipe it!

So I found a spell checker and it was switched off. Switching it on, lines appear under lots of words, as expected. Tapping on the words reveals a list of suggested corrections and tapping on one of these revises the document. What could be better?! One thing, I'm English and the dictionary is American. Oh well, as my mum would say, you can't expect everything.

Thanks for sorting me out guys!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
ian russell said:
. . . One thing, I'm English and the dictionary is American. Oh well, as my mum would say, you can't expect everything.

Thanks for sorting me out guys!

Go to the Settings app. Under the General setting go to International, Language, and change it to British English. I believe this will change the dictionary. It will also change the date/time format, starting date on the calendar, and a few other regional options.

OP
I

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Go to the Settings app. Under the General setting go to International, Language, and change it to British English. I believe this will change the dictionary. It will also change the date/time format, starting date on the calendar, and a few other regional options.

Ah, that's done it and no mistake. Thanks. Who'd have thought it'd be tucked all the way down the list.

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I noticed all the different apps mentioned here, like office and some others, but didnt know. They were available for ipad"
Btw no red line coming up but then im a good spelller, but not even when i mistype..and i do. Have spellcheck ON,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I noticed all the different apps mentioned here, like office and some others, but didnt know. They were available for ipad"
Btw no red line coming up but then im a good spelller, but not even when i mistype..and i do. Have spellcheck ON,

Some editing apps have their own autocorrect and spell check settings, separate from the general settings. Pages does, and I'm certain that MS Word does as well. This is handy, since you may want to change these settings at different points when editing a document; without having to worrying about what it does elsewhere, like in Messages or Mail.

Also, it can take a bit for spellcheck to recognize a word. Like I said. It's not perfect.

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never knew about editing apps as just write mostly emails. What is bothering me tho is that I changed some things in settings. Turned off auto correction, but left spellcheck and auto caps, which did not work til I put back autocorrection??
Also left predictions on but am not seeing them anymore. So now everything is back on, but where did those suggestions at bottom go?assumed that was predictions!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If predictive text is tuned on it may be hidden If you see a thin gray line just above the keyboard with a gray line in the middle, you can swipe up on that line to reveal the predictions. Swiping down on the predictions will hide them again.

Predictive text can be turned on/off directly from the keyboard (if you have more than one keyboard installed). Tap and hold on the world icon to reveal the keyboard menu, then turn on/off the Predictive text switch. If you only have one keyboard installed I believe you see an emoji icon. Try the same thing with it to see if the switch is there. I'm not sure if it is, or not.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424322456.460160.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424322473.140311.jpg

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see a thin grey line above text and cannot figure out how to bring up predictive text from kb, but that's not important as I turned it on in settings. Only I don't seem to be getting it..maybe it would work better from kb ..I can bring up the other KBS but still don't see how I. Can bring up that predictive code U show here

BettiBz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not really cuz they just pop up for a sec...not long enough to take a ss.

Most reactions

Latest posts