What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note/word processing app? (not handwriting)

catsaway9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My company purchased iPad 2s for our sales team about a month or so ago. We're still figuring out which apps they need for day-to-day activities.

Their most recent request is for a note-taking app. (Based on their wish list, maybe what they need is a word processing app.)

They want to be able to:

Input notes from meetings, etc.
Highlight/underline text
Spell check
Save documents into organized folders

An app that does handwriting recognition would be ok, but I think they also want to be able to type (and if they could only have one input method, typing would be preferred).

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm not seeing what I want in the app store and I hate to start buying things to try them out unless I know they're close to what we want.

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you looked at Pages? Also take a gander at Bamboo. Pages mirrors Word. Bamboo is more for handwriting. I believe it also has a type option. Good luck!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the previous poster suggested, you'll want to take a look at Pages. In addition and especially if your is used to working with Microsoft Office applications you should take a look at Documents To Go, Quick Office, and Office HD.

Several note taking apps include provisions for taking both handwritten and typed notes. They tend to be "biased" toward one medium or the other, meaning each assumes a "default" and allows a user to add information in the other medium. Notes Plus and Note Taker HD are both biased toward handwriting. Notability is biased in the other direction and may suit your needs rather well. (But to handle complex formatting and spell checking you will probably need a full-scale word processor such as those mentioned in the first paragraph.

BTW, keep in mind that if you choose an app and find that it doesn't meet your needs you can get a credit for the price you pay from the app store. I'd recommend that you do a more thorough search of the app store. (Try using App Shopper to get a better search capability for apps to meet your needs. You can run it on a PC or Mac.)

brobot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notability was biased in favor of typing but now it's been updated to include handwriting as well...

The way it does typing though is very nice :)

Last edited:

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notes Plus or Evernote.
Notes Plus is quite usable for handwriting and drawing as well as things like highlighting.

Most reactions

Latest posts