Slow Backup via Itunes - How to Speed up>?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by iserian, Apr 6, 2010.

1. lilman

lilman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You can disable auto backups in iTunes by using a free program called BackOff.

link: BackOff Speeds Up iTunes Sync for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad

Backups were taking a really long time for me too. I think the problem was all the manga I have in ComicZeal... 6gb+ of 3k+ cbz comics, which ComicZeal unarchived so it was like 70k+ images to backup. After 3 hours of backing up I was only at 15%.

Note that with BackOff you can still manually start a backup by right-clicking on the iPad and selecting "backup".

#11 lilman, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  2. wenzej

wenzej
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Long Ipad Bacup times

I have a IPad 32 G and a IPod touch 32 gig same data on both of them. The IPad takes 3 or 4 times longer to backup during a sync then the IPod touch. Of course there are some apps that are IPad only so they may be the problem.
    Does anyone know where the backup is made to is it the local hard drive or to an apple server someplace on the internet?

3. xiutian

xiutian
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I was just thinking of transferring my Naruto manga tonight! Now I'm not so sure I want to do that :(

4. Arnz98

Arnz98
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    One thing i read which worked for me is to delete the old backup file and then do the backup. Basically if you are taking an extremely long time to backup it could be because you have a corrupt backup file. By deleting it and then doing a backup, you are creating a new one. The first backup may take longer but from then on it should only take a few minutes.

You can access the old backup in itunes by going to edit then preferences. There you will find the option to delete

5. MrHappyPhil

MrHappyPhil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:

I heard somewhere that if you had your iPod/iPad Jailbroken that the backups will take for eeeeever. Check with your son to see if it is jailbroken..

6. King Hal

King Hal
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    @Wenzej the backup is to the computer running iTunes. I've have intermittent problems with slow backup which seems to caused by adding a new mag to the Zinio reader. I've turned off the backup for just Zinio, via the app itself.

7. Nova69

Nova69
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Zinio was cause of my slow backups

I was experiencing backups of as long as 8 hours until I made two changes. First, I turned off the backup of my magazines using the command in the Zinio app. I also switched my usb sync cable from a generic to the original that came with the iPad. Now my backups take about 10 minutes. Most likely, it was the change in Zinio that did the trick. I have heard that other magazine and comic book apps can create the same problem.

8. Tinman

Tinman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I had fairly slow backups.... to the point of usually canceling them. But since updating to iTunes 10 on my PC and iOS 4.2 beta 2 on iPad they are considerably faster... down to two minutes or so. Same thing happened on my iPhone 3GS when it was updated to 4.0... backups got faster.

So I suspect once 4.2 is out officially for iPad it should rectify the issue for all.

9. BiggerDee

BiggerDee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It looks like Zinio was the cause of my many hour backup problem as well. I only had six single issues in Zinio, but my backups went from 4 minutes to 6 hours. MANY thanks to those who figured this out and shared their insight here!

I turned off my Zinio backup, and I'm back to a 5 minute backup on a 32GB WiFi with 5 GB free. Zinio REALLY needs to fix this problem.

10. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Take some stuff off of your iPad.