What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backups

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. I get it. You hate iTunes. EVERYBODY hates iTunes.

Whatever. Get over yourself long enough to make an encrypted backup of your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.

Encrypted? Yes. That way, all of the passwords that you have already forgotten will be preserved in the backup. Just DON'T forget the password of the backup, otherwise it will be useless.

You may never need to restore your iPad, but a backup could save you hours of work, so boot iTunes once in a while and get that data backed up.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just answered a question elsewhere. How do I back up my iPhone?

Here's the procedure for creating an encrypted backup in iTunes. The procedure for backing up an iPad or iPod Touch is the same.

Boot up iTunes. Notice that iTunes has already found two iPhones and an iPad. For this purpose, that's not good enough. We need a wired connection.

Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 11.31.06 AM.png

So plug the device in that you want to backup. If iPhoto starts up, let it transfer your photographs, then close it.

Select the device you want to backup, and scroll to the bottom part of the "Summary" screen.

Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 11.32.40 AM.png

Select the backup type, using the radio buttons. This back up is going on to the local computer, so select that button.

Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 11.33.15 AM.png

Then check the box to select an encrypted backup.

Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 11.33.56 AM.png

Supply and confirm a password for the backup and :Set Password"

And a few minutes later, it's done.

Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 11.34.31 AM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use both iCloud and iTunes for backups.

iCloud is my primary method, because it's easy both to backup and to restore.

iTunes is my secondary, and I do it about once a month. This, combined with my computer backups, gives me a history of backups. That way if I need to go back further than the last backup, I can.

I do not encrypt. For two reasons.

1: I want to be able to restore the iPad without passcodes, in case I really have forgotten (or some unmentionable changed them for me).

2: It is possible to retrieve some data from an iPad backup using special tools; but only if it is not encrypted.

I keep all my passwords in another app, synced available on several devices. So re-applying passcodes and passwords isn't that much of a hassle.

Hold in mind that if I were sharing any of my computers and/or devices I would rethink the security, and possible enable encryption for my iTunes backups. That would also be the case if I were storing any sensitive information on my iPad that was not already encrypted by it app(s).

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do the same I use iTunes as primary back up for 2 iPads and 3 iPhones. I usually do this once a month on the phones and weekly on the iPad. iCloud is secondary backup for all devices I also use 2 hard drives to back up my Mac one using superduper every day to a 1 tb HD the second is using time machine hourly to a 2 tb HD. I should point out we have 4 user accounts on the Mac whom have 3 more mobiles. I also have my son's iPhone backed up on the Mac as he is overseas on a holiday. Back up is essential if you own multiple mobile devices as it gives peace of mind.

Like the poet I use onesafe on all iPads and iPhones. This app is so easy to use and store my passwords etc with double security.

silverado8405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally got over my phobia and have been letting icloud do a nightly backup with a "whenever I get around to it" copy with itunes. Figure the icloud backup will get me up and running long enough to get back to the computer. Really the only thing I'd need off itunes would be my playlist syncs as over 3/4 my music was not purchased thru itunes but rather on CDs that were then ripped to the hard drive.

Which of course was after it gave up my cassettes. Northen Minnesota was several years behind the main stream trends growing up.

Most reactions