What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing up to iCloud - Data?

Moonlit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't see a link to the iCloud forum using the iPad app, so I'm afraid mods might have to spend valuable time moving this for me please :)

Like many, I'm still somewhat confused about backing up to iCloud, despite being fairly computer savvy... Or maybe I'm just having a blonde moment, LOL.

I've got over 25 GB of apps on my iPad. I have a slow ADSL connection at just under 1mb, so sending stuff to iCloud could take HOURS. The iOS upgrade took long enough as it was.

The list of my numerous apps in
Settings -> iCloud -> Storage & Backup -> Storage -> Manage Storage -> Backups -> This iPad
totals around 4 GB, which would take far too long to backup with my slow connection. It says "Data", but I'm unclear what it means as it lists some apps as having over 20 mb of data each when I've not (to my knowledge) saved anything to them?

If "Documents & Data" and Calendar and Contacts etc are "on" on the 1st page of iCloud, but if I don't switch on any "optional" apps in
Storage & Backup -> Storage -> Manage Storage -> Backups -> *This iPad*
what would or wouldn't get backed up to iCloud?

Part of the cause for my confusion is that Numbers is listed in the long list of "optional" apps to backup, but *also* separately appears a 2nd time in
Storage & Backup -> Storage -> Manage Storage -> *Documents & Data*
and shows the names of my Numbers files. If Numbers is already being backed up, why is it also in the list of optional apps to backup? IOW, what's the point in seemingly backing it up twice?

TIA and I hope the above makes some sense!

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure about your question, but my Numbers & Pages on both my iPad & iPhone back up to iCloud with no problems and I didn't do anything extra to make that happen.

OP
M

Moonlit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in replying....

With regard to the Numbers part of my question:

There are several windows (if one can call them that) in the iCloud settings on the iPad.

In the "Manage storage" page, there are 2 sections. One called "Backups" and one called "Documents and Data". Beneath "Documents and Data", it shows "Numbers - 1.2mb".

If I then go to the "Backups" page for "This iPad", it lists all my apps under "Backup options". In that list of apps, it shows the "Numbers" app but with 844kb not 1.2mb as above.

If Numbers is listed in "Documents and Data" as being backed up, why is it listed again in "Backup options" as if it was going to duplicate the backup but with less kb?

Really, I've looked at all the info on Apple's site about iCloud, but none of it describes how it works clearly enough. What exactly does it backup and how? There are 4 or 5 pages in all to tap through in the iCloud part of Settings, but it's not clear what one page does that another might or might not do.

Most reactions

Latest posts