What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i use screen protector for ipad?

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just installed the power support screen protector based on some comments on this forum and was pleasantly surprised. I have had problems with other brands and this one took just a few seconds to install without any hassle or bubbles and you cannot tell it from the bare glass except for the fact that there are no fingerprints . Expensive but, in my opinion, worth the difference.

takeshi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If that is important then why Apple brings their Device without it
Brilliant reasoning. So there's no reason at all for the aftermarket for Apple products since they don't ship with these accessories?

It's a highly subjective matter. Use a screen protector if you want to. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. I use screen protectors as an added safety precaution. Accidents happen. Glass isn't unscratchable.

The glass that they use with these things is very tough... Sure it can get scratched, but not with normal use...
Tell that to owners of devices with scratched Gorilla Glass screens. Scratches do happen with normal use. None of the accounts I've run across involved "manual labor" or other extreme conditions that some in this thread have claimed are necessary. Using a screen protector is just a personal call.

...and be very careful using anecdotal evidence as proof of anything.

"It has never happened to me" != "It can never happen".

I use a matte anti-glare protector because it does vastly reduce the glare and reflections when I use it outdoors: think of the difference between an old-style CRT glass computer monitor vs a modern flatscreen LCD screen.
Poor analogy. My CRT has a matte anti-reflective coating. They're not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poor analogy. My CRT has a matte anti-reflective coating. They're not mutually exclusive.

Well, duh. Of course I'm referring to a glass screen without anti-reflective coating.

Last edited:

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
takeshi said:
Brilliant reasoning. So there's no reason at all for the aftermarket for Apple products since they don't ship with these accessories?

It's a highly subjective matter. Use a screen protector if you want to. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. I use screen protectors as an added safety precaution. Accidents happen. Glass isn't unscratchable.

Tell that to owners of devices with scratched Gorilla Glass screens. Scratches do happen with normal use. None of the accounts I've run across involved "manual labor" or other extreme conditions that some in this thread have claimed are necessary. Using a screen protector is just a personal call.

...and be very careful using anecdotal evidence as proof of anything.

"It has never happened to me" != "It can never happen".

Apple don't care lol,if your iPad breaks,just buy another!I'm using it naked right now,waiting on a new screen cover and due to my 4yr old,I'll b investing in a overall body shield....
I almost laughed n died when I woke n seen she took the iPad n had her game going.My fault,too many educational hands on stuff for her,and I'll b getting a second pad this summer,august.
Soooooooo it may sound crazy but that's my opinion about why apple don't sell protective stuff lol.....they are liable to make more money selling iPads.Yes they can make covers and make money....someday soon they probably will..I hope!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

texasipadgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mbeyer23 said:
I recommend the zagg screen protector-- also put one on the back-- will keep my iPad like new- as far as screen response , works just there wasn't anything on it!! Hope this answers some of the questions. I also put the zagg protector on my iPhone.

I agree! ZAGGs are great!

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My new iPad2 is now in an Otterbox defender case with one of their screen protectors fitted but I will be switching to the Griffin Survivor case ASAP.

So far my iPad has only been to work each day... no overseas trips yet. last year this MacBookPro went with me to India (doing venom extractions & film work for a snake-bite study) so saw the extremes of hot deserts to the monsoon rains up in the high hills..... then a trip to Wyoming to see girlfriend..... If I am going to put my iPad2 through this sort of treatment then I need the best possible protection available.

Nelson7709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
marcphillips said:
When I got my ipad2 off of craigslist, the screen protector was already on. It wasn't too much of a big deal to me. Now that I think of it though, I kinda like it. Keeps the fingerprints down to a minimum and doesn't take away from the look too much.

Yeah! Most importantly, screen protector can prevent damage caused by opening beer in can while infront of your iPad?:D

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Had one and hated the small air bubbles that invariably got stuck under the film
Took it off and now I love the smooth screen
Use a cover when not in use.
Micro fibre cloth next to the bed for a quick polish each night before a big reading session with my kindle books
Love it

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Forgot to add it's a bit like having plastic on the lounge chairs.
You just dont enjoy it as much

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
55julie55 said:
Had one and hated the small air bubbles that invariably got stuck under the film
Took it off and now I love the smooth screen
Use a cover when not in use.
Micro fibre cloth next to the bed for a quick polish each night before a big reading session with my kindle books
Love it

You sound just like me. What's a few fingerprints. Nothing quite like the glass effect. And I love reading too!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's really annoying is all the good stuff is US only. The stick on ones are hopeless....I can't even get them to go on straight, and even if I do, I always end up with bubbles. So for now I will clean after each days use with anti static cloth, and avoid situations where it might get scratched!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very happy with my cheapo eBay screen protector (£4.95 for 6) and it feels 99.999999999999% like the naked screen i.e. very smooth and no difference in response.

I wasted 2 of them due to getting dust underneath, but the current one is 100% bubble free The only thing is that it takes a bit more of a rub with the micro fibre cloth to clean it. I would say it's no different with regard to fingerprints.

The screen protector is purely for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Aftershock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried many but I really rate the Zagg protector. It seems to add some tactile feedback to the screen. Also with a wet install it's much easier to get it bubble free.

For me a screen protector is like insurance, you may never need it but it gives peace of mind

Most reactions

Latest posts