Second Gen iPad this year

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by CaptKirk, Jul 13, 2010.

1. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    DigiTimes today reports on rumors that Apple is looking to launch its second-generation iPad as soon as the fourth quarter of this year, adding OLED-based 5.6-inch and 7-inch models to its existing 9.7-inch LED display model.

2. figmo10

figmo10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    So Apple wants the 2nd Gen iPad to be more like the Ipod Touch?

3. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    And a front and rear facing camera ??????? I bet that too

There has been considerable discussion over the past couple of days regarding possibilities for front- and rear- facing cameras in the next-generation iPod touch, sparked by claims that the device will carry an iPhone 4-like 5-megapixel rear-facing camera. While the assertions have since been reported to be speculation rather than claimed facts, it hasn't stopped the rumor mill and leaks from winding up.

#3 CaptKirk, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  4. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Not until early summer next year. It's too late in the production season to re-tool, re-test, re-market and piss off the customers that made the original iPad such a success. Besides, I think Apple already has too many irons in the fire with the new iPhone - they may have to spend their time fixing issues there.

5. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    How do you consider a small screen a second gen....seems like it would just be a different variety.

6. iDharma

iDharma
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I would consider a 5.6" or 7" display to be a significant step down in iPad space. The display is the foundation from which all the rest of the iPad's niftyness arises.

7. jkhonea

jkhonea
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The downsizing really makes no sense to me. But others may find it useful. Like someone else said above, I just don't see a second generation hitting that fast. It would completely break from the usual Apple release traditions.

And for those thinking it is more than a rumor, just think how many times we've heard that the iPhone is "just about" to be released on Verizon. :D

8. pallentx

pallentx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I would be surprised to see Apple fragment the product line so much. Its not their style. They like to keep the options limited to one or two. I would also be VERY surprised to see it this year.

I dont think it would be a bad idea. The tablet form factor is still a very new concept. I could see the value of putting out a bunch of different sizes and seeing which one most people gravitate to. Its just not very Apple-ish to do such a thing though. They tend to put a lot into the design and tell everyone what size they really need. :)

9. muyoso

muyoso
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    This is never going to happen, and I will tell you why. What would they price it at? The 16gb wifi model is $499 as it is. That means that the 7" model could not be prices higher than $399 with similar storage and the 5" model would have to be priced at $299 or $349. The 5 inch model would pretty much destroy iPod touch sales, unless it was meant to replace the iPod touch, which seams unlikely. The 7" model would be in a weird limbo where it would be noticeably smaller than the original iPad, yet closely priced. Then you get into different storage options, and it turns into a giant cluster F. A 7" 64 GB would be similar in price to a 10" 32 GB?

It would be way too complicated and messy for me to believe that Apple would allow it. Not going to happen. Now if they replaced the iPod Touch with a 5" tablety thing, and then offered an iPad mini in the 7" model, that COULD work, but would still be messy.

10. RobotRock

RobotRock
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    ye, there's no way Apple would bring out another iPad this year. If they're bringing out new versions of anything else it would be the iPods or Apple Tv.

And I don't think the 2nd gen will be any different in size, it will just have better features.