Screen protector or no?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Nicozuna, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Erwaso

Erwaso
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ipad screen is a fingerprint magnet. Just looks nasty after a few hours use. I recommend getting one. I bought a $5 iEssentials anti glare one from TJMaxx and now it's a non issue. Doesn't ruin the quality of the screen either! Gotta say I lucked out with the cheap accessory this time.

2. georgeacosta

georgeacosta
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    @beesknees

Thank you for your response. Well, I'm not sure about the benchmark tests but I don't think the screen protectors industry would be as successful as it is now if it wasn't properly protecting their devices. While the gorilla glass is strong, I've noticed on many forums that they do get scratched and that's where the protectors come in. If you choose to go without one, that's fine, but I personally would rather be safe than sorry. Let me know if you have any developments on this.

3. zphone

zphone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Dude, do you seriously think things only sell if they work well? I could sell magic spells to protect iPads and I bet people would buy them. Just take a loom at all the magnetic balance bracelets that sell like mad.

4. drathbun

drathbun
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I agree about the fingerprints and had a matte screen protector on my iPad1 but now that I've found this really effective screen cleaner:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love the feel of the naked gorilla glass and don't mind the fingerprints as they disappear in two swipes.

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

5. jbcn

jbcn
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have had a first gen IPAD for two years and have tried both non glare and fully transparent glossy covers.....I ended up throwing both away and keep my IPAD in a soft zipper cover containing two sponge-like sandwich inserts. It is brighter and clearest at low levels of brightness such as reading in bed....and is fine in the car as a GPS. Purchasing the IPAD 3 tomorrow and will not put a cover over the glass.

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    It is amazing to read all the different opinions on screen protectors. Obviously, folks should do what makes you feel happy with your purchase and what you feel you need to do to protect it....that's why I have a skin on the back of my iPad even though it is inside a case with additional back protection. I sometimes take it out of the case and put it on my desk....but something as
    simple as that can get me a scratch in the back. For me, I put my effort in protecting the AL back than the screen. Experiences shows that I am pretty careful with screens.....never had a single scratch in any screen.....but that back!!????

7. Daylife

Daylife
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I think the back needs to be protected WAY more then the screen... Putting it on a desk can leave a permanent scratch.

8. Krooked

Krooked
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    They're successful mainly because in the past these protectors actually had a purpose. I remember people gouging and scratching their Palm OS devices a decade ago, but they only had hard plastic screens. So, naturally, most people bought protector screens.

Gorilla Glass is a different animal altogether (excuse the pun). You can look up some of the tests they've run these screens though, Forcibly running keys, screws, and coins across them and not a mark. The protection screens "toughness" are a joke when measured against the raw IPad's screen. I've now handled 3 original IPads and an IPad 2, all of which have never had screen protection and none of them have a blemish on the screen.

Granted, you can scratch glass, but it takes a considerable amount of neglect and abuse to scratch it.

But, as others have said. Sometimes peace of mind is worth the extra money.

#48 Krooked, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  9. Lucky_Charms

Lucky_Charms
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Scratching the glass may not be the issue, although I don't want to test out how resistant it is. For me the issue is sun glare and fingerprints. I use my iPad as a gps nav for my car and with the sun shining at just the right angle, it becomes un-usable. Also finger prints drive me nuts. The oleophobic coating doesn't do anything for me it seems. Using the "power supply" anti-glare screen protector takes care of these issues for me.

Just my 2 cents though.

10. BMWrider

BMWrider
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Anti glare screens degrade the image - particularly on the high resolution iPad 3 screen.