What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector or no?

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
This is what I wonder too. Keep it covered when not in use and don't touch the screen with anything but a finger or stylus, if you use it as a plate and cut steak or try to teach your cat how to play Angry Birds it is going to get scratched protector or no.

I think you'd be surprised - at least about the cat. My dog loves YouTube videos and will occasionally paw at it trying to interact with the dog/cat/bird on the screen. No damage done yet, and his clodhoppers are the size of my palm! These things are tougher than they look.

souskei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work at a job where I'm constantly looking at PDFs and working with lots of tools.. And sometimes (most of the time :)) my work bench looks like a tornado hit it.

So I feel like a screen protector would benefit me. Theres a lot of times where if accidentally dropped my hex drivers on the screen.

With that being said, if you're gonna get one, I recommend the zagg HD one. Feels nice and doesn't take away from the beautiful screen

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GnomeGrrl said:
I think you'd be surprised - at least about the cat. My dog loves YouTube videos and will occasionally paw at it trying to interact with the dog/cat/bird on the screen. No damage done yet, and his clodhoppers are the size of my palm! These things are tougher than they look.

Well I could put my iPad in an otter box and let my two giant GSDs take it out and play tug-of-war with it and claim it is important protection but I choose not to let them get too close to it. If you put the iPad in harm's way you definitely need more protection. Also, you can't be sure the screen would have been scratched without it.

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work at a job where I'm constantly looking at PDFs and working with lots of tools.. And sometimes (most of the time :)) my work bench looks like a tornado hit it.

So I feel like a screen protector would benefit me. Theres a lot of times where if accidentally dropped my hex drivers on the screen.

With that being said, if you're gonna get one, I recommend the zagg HD one. Feels nice and doesn't take away from the beautiful screen

It's pretty difficult to scratch glass; even by dropping tools on it. When it comes to dropping sharp tools, I would worry about shattering the IPad's glass long before scratching it. I imagine that would have to be a fairly thick (relatively speaking) slice of plastic protecting the screen to prevent a shock that would otherwise shatter an IPad's glass.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
souskei said:
I work at a job where I'm constantly looking at PDFs and working with lots of tools..
I hear ya... I work with lots of tools too! Some of them break their company provided devices .. Oh, sorry I think you may have been talking about something else ;-)

Anyways it's far more likely that the impact will crack the glass than merely scratch it. The iPhone and iPad glass is a very high density glass. Have you even tried scratching normal glass with a hex driver? It can be done but it's not easy.

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think getting a protector is a must. Especially if your planning on long term use (which i'm sure all of us are). I purchased one through Amazon called Armorsuit which is pretty legit. It's simple to apply and self healing which is pretty amazing. The price isnt' too bad either. I've heard some other products have an orangish effect which made me turn away from them

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
georgeacosta said:
I think getting a protector is a must. Especially if your planning on long term use (which i'm sure all of us are). I purchased one through Amazon called Armorsuit which is pretty legit. It's simple to apply and self healing which is pretty amazing. The price isnt' too bad either. I've heard some other products have an orangish effect which made me turn away from them

Instead of continuing to compare opinions please explain why it is a must. I don't see the dangers. I have had an iPad since shortly after the first gen was introduced and never had a scratch.

Are there any benchmark tests that prove that damage to a screen protector would actually damage the screen? It seems to me that the protector is more likely to be the one sustaining scratches, scratches I am not so sure would show up on glass.

I just think that a cover when the iPad is not in use is enough.

MrsWozniak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not. I do have AppleCare so I'm not to stressed about it. I do have a speck magfolio case however.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not. I do have AppleCare so I'm not to stressed about it. I do have a speck magfolio case however.

I am sure you know that applecare+ will not cover a scratch - however I suppose you could always finish the job and throw it on cement if a scratch bothers you - at least that was my plan:D

However, I think the same people that worry about a scratch on their ipad or iPhone think of nothing of driving around without a screen protector on their car windows. I mean, come on... those things are whizzing around and getting things flung at them at 120 km per hour... sand, dirt, hail, ice, people - the risks are just that much greater of getting scratches ... curiously enough I don't have that many scratches in my car windows and I even went once for two years without getting a rock chip.

I do think the whole screen protector industry is snake oil and taking advantage of people especially with pricing.. but that is just personal opinion.

MrsWozniak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
I am sure you know that applecare+ will not cover a scratch - however I suppose you could always finish the job and throw it on cement if a scratch bothers you - at least that was my plan:D

However, I think the same people that worry about a scratch on their ipad or iPhone think of nothing of driving around without a screen protector on their car windows. I mean, come on... those things are whizzing around and getting things flung at them at 120 km per hour... sand, dirt, hail, ice, people - the risks are just that much greater of getting scratches ... curiously enough I don't have that many scratches in my car windows and I even went once for two years without getting a rock chip.

I do think the whole screen protector industry is snake oil and taking advantage of people especially with pricing.. but that is just personal opinion.

Ha that was my plan! Great minds!

Erwaso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad screen is a fingerprint magnet. Just looks nasty after a few hours use. I recommend getting one. I bought a $5 iEssentials anti glare one from TJMaxx and now it's a non issue. Doesn't ruin the quality of the screen either! Gotta say I lucked out with the cheap accessory this time.

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@beesknees

Thank you for your response. Well, I'm not sure about the benchmark tests but I don't think the screen protectors industry would be as successful as it is now if it wasn't properly protecting their devices. While the gorilla glass is strong, I've noticed on many forums that they do get scratched and that's where the protectors come in. If you choose to go without one, that's fine, but I personally would rather be safe than sorry. Let me know if you have any developments on this.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
georgeacosta said:
@beesknees

Thank you for your response. Well, I'm not sure about the benchmark tests but I don't think the screen protectors industry would be as successful as it is now if it wasn't properly protecting their devices. While the gorilla glass is strong, I've noticed on many forums that they do get scratched and that's where the protectors come in. If you choose to go without one, that's fine, but I personally would rather be safe than sorry. Let me know if you have any developments on this.

Dude, do you seriously think things only sell if they work well? I could sell magic spells to protect iPads and I bet people would buy them. Just take a loom at all the magnetic balance bracelets that sell like mad.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
georgeacosta said:
@beesknees

I agree about the fingerprints and had a matte screen protector on my iPad1 but now that I've found this really effective screen cleaner:

f7f908b2.jpg

a2664cdc.jpg

I love the feel of the naked gorilla glass and don't mind the fingerprints as they disappear in two swipes.

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

jbcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a first gen IPAD for two years and have tried both non glare and fully transparent glossy covers.....I ended up throwing both away and keep my IPAD in a soft zipper cover containing two sponge-like sandwich inserts. It is brighter and clearest at low levels of brightness such as reading in bed....and is fine in the car as a GPS. Purchasing the IPAD 3 tomorrow and will not put a cover over the glass.

Most reactions

Latest posts