What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ringtones bought on iPhone not available on iPad

bazgrant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought a couple of nice christmas ringtones in iTunes on the iPhone and they are working fine. I also want to have them on my iPad though and they do not appear in my 'purchased' list in iTunes on the iPad so I searched for them (they are, of course, using the same apple ID on both devices). iTunes was asking me to buy them again though; it said something along the lines of "you have already purchased this item, would you like to purchase it again?". The only options were to purchase or cancel, so of course I cancelled.

Surely I don't have to buy it again? Anybody have any suggestions or experience of this that can help please? :)

OP
bazgrant

bazgrant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, well not necessarily ringtone but text tone or email sound. One of the apple 'help' pages says about there actually being a ringtone button in iTunes on the iPad like there is on the iPhone but I don't see it.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you can get to ringtones on the iPad (in version 5.0.1, anyway) by going to Settings > General > Sounds. If you select one of the tones (e.g. text, new mail, etc.), you are offered a choice of various sounds. I think this is a new feature of iOS 5...

However, that doesn't answer your question about paying again for those ringtones. And - I don't know the answer. Maybe an Apple store Genius can, if you call them?

I wonder if it's like apps, in that it appears, sometimes, as if you are going to pay for an app you've already purchased right up until the last minute when the notice tells/asks you that you've already bought it, do you want to get it again?

[Huh. Parse that sentence, I dare you! :D]

But, I really don't know - I don't want you to risk your money on my wondering. So, I suggest asking Apple.

Sorry I'm not better help.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've done this, and yes, it appears that unlike music, ringtones don't show up in the Purchases section of iTunes.

What you can do.

Connect the device you purchased the ringtone on to iTunes, right click on the device in the list, and choose Transfer Purchases. This will copy your new ringtone to iTunes on the computer.

Connect your other device.

Go to the Tones library at the top of the list. (If you can't see the Tones library, go to the General tab in Preferences and turn it on). Drag the new ringtone and drop it onto the other device (under the Devices list.

Ta da, it's there.

There are probably other ways of doing this, but this works.

OP
bazgrant

bazgrant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I really really never wanted to have to connect to iTunes on my windoze machine again since iOS5. Anybody else know of a different way before I have to succumb to windoze?

Most reactions

Latest posts