What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raft of cheaper tablets cheapening the iPad experience?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with the notion of not having brand loyalty in the tablet space, if it means some sort of emotional connection that makes you make unwarranted purchases or stands in for some emotional lack in a person. However, I do see why Apple has the following it does after getting an iPad. It's not simply a top price offering, it's easily the best offering. There are things I like about my Android gadgets, but for lack of a quicker explanation, they get in the way of me liking them more. There's a difference in craft that may not be, but seems to be, wholly apart from price tag.

That's the point: There are people who buy partly to send some kind of status message. For me, functionality is key. I buy electronics as I would a power tool; I buy for function and quality. It doesn't matter what people think of the status of my power saw, either, as long as it works well.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The ONLY advantage that a tablet has over a Laptop is that its portable..THATS IT!
I find it funny when people say that i bought an ipad coz i do like its functionality...NO..you bought it coz of APPLE...had this product (tablets) been introduced by any other company no one wud have even looked at it..and this is the TRUTH..Like it or not..

Sent from my iPad 2 white 64 gb (ios 5.0.1) using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ONLY advantage that a tablet has over a Laptop is that its portable..THATS IT!
I find it funny when people say that i bought an ipad coz i do like its functionality...NO..you bought it coz of APPLE...had this product (tablets) been introduced by any other company no one wud have even looked at it..and this is the TRUTH..Like it or not..

Illogical. If Apple were the reason for my purchase of an iPad, I would've bought an Apple laptop and PC long ago.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I have to disagree here. I was never an Apple fan and never owned any Apple devices before my iPad 2. Heck - I was even trying to stay away from iPads at first due to some of things I didnt like about them. But, after swimming through the sea of tablets and doing real world comparisons the iPad 2 came out on top by a pretty high margin. I hate to use cliches...but it really is about the Apps and the Android based tablets just aint got enough of them. I also feel the Apple tablet OS is the slickest and smoothest out there. The hardware apears to be top-line too which is NOT the case with some of the cheaper Andriod tablets which are kind of junky.

I never once use status or bragging rights as a criteria for buying my ipad 2. Im sure some people do, much as they'd buy a Rolex or fancy clothes to show off. Thats fine but for me that never played a role in my shopping. I just wanted a great tablet that worked, had lots of great apps, and had minimal issues. I acheived that goal with my iPad 2. No alterior motive existed for me. I dont think its fair to say its a "fact" that people bought something just becasue it says Apple on it. Maybe a very small percentage did but I dont think thats the norm at all.

The thing I dont get with the whole status symbol iPad thing is this: It aint like they are a million bucks or something.... anyone with a pot to pee in can easily afford one. I mean, when I see someone with an iPad I dont think "Whoa, that dood or doodette must be a playa...they own an iPad! Great, a whopping $600 bucks.... they must be rich. :D

If I wanted to show off, Id do it with a fancy car or whatever....not a tablet!

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing I dont get with the whole status symbol iPad thing is this: It aint like they are a million bucks or something.... anyone with a pot to pee in can easily afford one. I mean, when I see someone with an iPad I dont think "Whoa, that dood or doodette must be a playa...they own an iPad! Great, a whopping $600 bucks.... they must be rich. :D

If I wanted to show off, Id do it with a fancy car or whatever....not a tablet!

Agreed. I don't see a tablet as any kind of status object. Maybe in a third world country where there are many poor people who can't afford them, that might be the case. In the U.S., there are plenty of people who can afford iPads, as shown by the millions sold.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not saying its for show off or coz of bragging rights that people bought it...I am talking about this category..TABLETS..iPads are a successful product bcoz APPLE introduced it..Had this category been intoduced by any other company, it wud not have worked..hell none of them are still selling and not one is even close to ipad in sales.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to disagree here. I was never an Apple fan and never owned any Apple devices before my iPad 2.

I agree!

Silliest thing I ever heard.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not saying its for show off or coz of bragging rights that people bought it...I am talking about this category..TABLETS..iPads are a successful product bcoz APPLE introduced it..Had this category been intoduced by any other company, it wud not have worked..hell none of them are still selling and not one is even close to ipad in sales.

That's because other tablets aren't anywhere near as functional. Duh.

AEPiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an iPad2 with 4.x and an iPod Touch 4G with 5.01, both excellent devices. However I wouldn't discount the slew of Android tablets hitting the market. Its very early in the game, both the iPads and the Android competitors will get better. And although I don't expect to get a hurray for this comment, Microsoft will probably make a bit of a dent with Windows 8. Only time will tell...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an iPad2 with 4.x and an iPod Touch 4G with 5.01, both excellent devices. However I wouldn't discount the slew of Android tablets hitting the market. Its very early in the game, both the iPads and the Android competitors will get better. And although I don't expect to get a hurray for this comment, Microsoft will probably make a bit of a dent with Windows 8. Only time will tell...

If better Android tablets come along, I will happily buy what's best then, no matter the brand. At the moment, I'm waiting to check out the Samsung Galaxy Note, an Android hybrid phone-tablet that has yet to make its U.S. debut.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple have assuredly made tablets popular. By making a good one. We're a few steps away from having more good ones. Portability is a big part of it but it feels like more to me. It kind of rekindled an interest in computing with me beyond everyday necessity.

surgetek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I don't have an iPad. Ido however own a Macbook (will never go back to PC again) and an iPhone I am one of those people that bought a "cheaper" tablet. I am like a few on here that buy for the functions I need and also the price that I can afford. To me the iPad is a big iPhone. There is nothing I need the iPad for that my iPhone cannot do. Don't get me wrong if someone bought/handed me one I'd take it. I bought my wife one for christmas because she wants one and knows her iPhone and doesn't want to learn a different OS.

For the record, I use a Xoom. I bought it for the price ($200) storage space (32G with capability for another 32G via SD) and it does what I need it for.

As for the status comments, the iPad is a status symbol. People look at mine and automatically think its a rimky dink Big Lots POS, You tell an iPad owner it's a Xoom and you think I told them I was a leper.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone knows they're a better than average driver, their kid is above average, and only other people are concerned with status symbols. :)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Australia we are seeing the demise of net books and also other android tablets such as Toshiba, Acer and Asus..... Why because they simple not selling and it is hard to justify keeping the products in stock. The only time they sold was when they went on special at or below cost. Where as the iPad is selling so fast it is not funny. The only tab that may have a chance is the Samsung 10 " but again it will be wait and see. We have been advised we may get them just before Xmas a little late to grab that market they need. If the same reseller sells iPads I personally can't see it happening but could be wrong. A lot of the above issues are also due to poor marketing unlike Apple we see almost no promotion on TV or in newspapers for other brands. When customers come in they ask for the iPad and even after looking at the Acer etc they end up buying the iPad regardless if it is more expensive and the best news of all they just love it.

ps.... I am employed in one of the largest retail electrical chain groups in Australia

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone knows they're a better than average driver, their kid is above average, and only other people are concerned with status symbols. :)

I'm only an OK driver; I worry that my nephew is going to be slow because he was a premmie; and I think a status item isn't something millions can afford to put on a credit card.

Most reactions

Latest posts