Question for the Salty Apple owners?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by zipur, Mar 27, 2011.

1. zipur

zipur
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Well now that I settled down, and been kick in the but by eyeojo I have regained my determination to get my I2 before my extended ship date Apr. 20.

bitting the bullet!

You can close this tread since my next post will be a victory lap.

#11 zipur, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. tweeter

tweeter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes ranting and raving just makes you feel better about things!

It's worth the wait.

3. jhood2323

jhood2323
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I waited outside an apple mon-thurs for 2 hours in 50-60 degree moist weather to get my original ipad 2

4. kevroc

kevroc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I went to one of my local stores at 7:30am, store scheduled to open at 9. There were about 25 people in line. Store guy comes out and 8 and said because it's cold out (wasn't really that cold) they'd issue vouchers to everyone in line and as long as you come back by 11am whatever model you picked is yours. They had vouchers for each model in stock, by the time they got to me they still had stacks of vouchers left. I wanted the AT&T 64GB Black model, and they must have had at least 30-40 tickets left. So anybody going to that store by 9 or 10 would be sure to get one. Turned out that it wasn't really hard to get one, just had to wait in line for about 45 minutes, not bad at all.

5. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    We can't close it! We need to see your victory lap.:D Plus others are posting theirs!

6. Sowellca

Sowellca
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've no way to confirm this, but I feel it's possible that the Japan earthquake/tsunami disaster may have caused disruptions in shipping for iPad 2. I ordered mine almost as soon as the iPad 2 went on sale online and then started reading incoming reports about the disaster shortly thereafter.

It almost seems like the extremely early orders made it out, and then I started hearing about weeks-long delays for others. Mine arrived within four days or so of placing my online order.

I realize they come from China, but perhaps Apple originally intended to ship via Japan also, and had to scramble to reroute. Not really sure. Of course, it would be in bad taste for them to blame shipping difficulties on such a terrible event, thus, perhaps, no explanation is best from their point of view.

As to the store stocks running low, I suppose demand must be quite large. Then again, perhaps unspoken shipping difficulties play a part.

7. SporkLover

SporkLover
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    On the apple forums, some folks have said that the geniuses and AppleCare folks have said the production lines have been held up due the qc issues with light leakage. The new rumored start ship date is 21 April.

8. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Shenzhen is adjacent to the Hong Kong SAR, i.e. if you were crossing the border from China to HK, you'd be crossing over from Shenzhen. From there you can go overland directly to Lantau Island, where the Hong Kong International Airport (along with couriers and freight companies) is located.

Thus, in terms of economy and efficiency, everything from Shenzhen can easily go overland to HKIA, where it gets dispatched to the respective destination cities (one of the considerations to having the factory in Shenzhen, I'm sure.) There's no reason why the cargo would have to make another stop in Japan.

As for Chengdu, it's located roughly right in the middle of China in Szechuan province. Again, there's no business sense nor would it be cost-effective to make an intermediate stop in Japan.

9. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They do not ship via Japan. Please read my earlier post demand out paces supply give it time and all will be fine.

#19 col.bris, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  10. Broseph

Broseph
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I strongly disagree. If Apple had allowed pre-orders sooner, they would have had a better idea of what demand was. This shortage is not entirely an accident by any stretch. It is naive to think otherwise. Apple is feeding off the publicity. It loves it.

My theory is that Apple had already wanted supplies to be short--and the unpredictable tragedy in Japan only made things worse, pushing a minor update, second gen product to being "sold out" across the board weeks after its launch. Waits are even longer than Apple wanted them to be. (And that's saying something)

No Steve Jobs, the iPad 2 isn't EVERYWHERE in March.