Pricing out for HP Slate

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Seadog, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    HP Slate has been announced starting at $799. Intended for business customers, I think it is safe to say that it is not very attractive from my perspective.

2. matt_90036

matt_90036
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yes I do have to agree. 799 is too much. 499 is a sweet point for apple.

3. iceman

iceman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    HP Slate = fail

HP has no "business" selling it! :D

4. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Will the slate have Windows 7 or WebOS?

5. IpadOne

IpadOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Not yet sure, because i have read 2 different version Win7 and Web OS … but i guess is more sure win7 …. :(

6. Bogy

Bogy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I believe it was Endgadget where I read that one of the weaknesses of the HP Slate was that it used the limited touch capabilities of Win7, as well as the built-in Win7 Keyboard.

7. monkeyboy

monkeyboy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    the price comparison isn't exactly fair... for $799 you get 64GB SSD, 2GB RAM (8x more than iPad), and 2 cameras, USB and SD slots and full Windows 7. Price compare the $799 to the iPad 64GB at $699...

I think it will sell *some* because of Win7... lots of business and 'vertical' applications need that (I see a lot of docs in hospitals and clinics running around with tablet/notebook so this will be better for them). But the Slate 500 is obviously no iPad killer... its NOT a consumer device and won't even be advertised much.

8. RussW

RussW
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I dunno; but an Intel Atom is far inferior to the iPad chipset. When you put a button that is equivalent to the "Ctrl-Alt-Del" on a newly released platform; that's not a good sign of platform stability either...

I think it's going to see some popularity among the die-hard PC users; but with no App market momentum it's hard to say if it will ever compete with the iPad. I just wish Apple would wise up and get flash running on the iPad so they don't get hammered by the competition marketing against that weakness.

9. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    How do you know this? The newer (especially dual core) Atom chips are surprisingly powerful and I believe they are probably more powerful per clock cycle than what our Ipad is using. If you don't believe me check out the benchmarks at the following: Apple's iPad - The AnandTech Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News . The real problem with Atom powered tablets as I see it lies in the operating system. Apple was smart by stripping down OS X to make iOS rather than trying to shoehorn a full blown operating system into their ultra portable devices. The tablets that are running Windows 7 have a lot of overhead with the operating system and quite frankly trying to use a desktop OS on a touch device is frustrating at best. Then there are the tablets running Android despite the fact that Android is not made for that type of device.

iOS may be overly simple for many users, but it is tailor made for lower powered devices. Until a competing OS comes out for non Apple hardware I don't see other tablets having the impact that the Ipad is having.

Believe it or not, my Atom powered netbook does a pretty good job running OS X. I'm not sure the Ipad would be able to handle that.

#9 DaveSt, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  10. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ctrl-Alt-Del is a necessary keystroke sequence in Windows having nothing to do with stability. If your device is on a network requiring log in capabilities, the prompt is reached by pressing those three keys. Similarly, if you wish to lock the device, you need those three keys. I imagine the Slate is being marketed as a business tool meaning the expectation is that they will be used in company networks. If they are running full blown Windows, having those keys is a must.