iPad vs HP Slate

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by CaptKirk, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    So when the webos slate comes out will all the people that complained about the iPad not being a "real" os still bitch or will they be total hypocrites and praise it because it isn't apple?

2. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I hope that the Slate is brought out and does well. The iPad will progress faster with decent competition. Note that all of the major advances in the iPhone have been in trying to stay ahead of the competition. Right now, the iPad is in the same position as the original iPhone, and we saw how everyone tried to bring out their iPhone killers. It is going to be the same with the iPad.

3. Edlex

Edlex
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Here's how I think it will go down. Apple lovers will hate it. Palm lovers will love it. Netbook and "real OS" lovers will bitch about both. And to answer you question, yes, hypocrisy will always be alive and well in the world of fanboyism.

4. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:

Well as I write this Slate is already history as a failed product. Windows on a tablet is simply not competitive with the Apple iPad line.

Android on a tablet will be like investing in a Zune.

5. ayerbusiness

ayerbusiness
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I would definitely go for the iPad because I believe that the iPad is better than the HP slate. First, the iPad's screen resolution is better than the HP slate. I don't like the idea of HP slate having a smaller screen because I would say that having a bigger screen is better.

6. Pcunix

Pcunix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I see the HP NotPad as a lousy Netbook for. Small screen, not so great battery life (you will need to always have a charger with you), and if they just port over apps without rewriting fir the device, lousy apps.

The Android version will be better than the Windows, but fragmenting the market like that won't help sales (people will be confused about what to buy) and absolutely won't encourage developers.

Silly me-too product.

7. lifevicarious

lifevicarious
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I am not a fan of the salte but I have a feeling the battery life will get better. If they are running webos they don't need the horsepower previously disclosed. I think it will be very close spec wise to the iPad with the exception of camera and running webos.

8. CPMS

CPMS
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I started with the original Palm PDA and stayed with them until I dumped my Treo 720P for my first iPhone. I was a definite fan until then and am still mildly interested to see how it might play out if HP redesigns the Slate to run off of WebOS. They'll have a tough go of it at least partially because Apple has a huge jump on iPhone/Pad developers out there. Still, you gotta remember the "app" concept was really made somewhat mainstream by Palm and their various Palm OS renditions. Sure it was less structured than Apple's app store but folks were cranking out some pretty decent apps for my Palm Treo back in the day. I know for a fact that there were Office suites for Palm waaaay before iPhone :)

HP was smart to dump the Winblows based Slate. As most have said, it would have ended up being a netbook with a touchscreen at best. Apple got it right and has taken a mobile OS to run the iPad rather than try to "force" OSX to run in a tablet with a targeted 10 battery life and 1.5 lb weight.

With Apple, WebOS, and maybe Andriod in the mix, we the consumer should only benefit from the inevitable battle to "stay ahead" that will ensue. In its hey day, Palm had little competition thus their OS and device designs failed to progress ..... and look where that got them .....

9. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to take another line on this. Personally I LOVE Windows 7. I can't imagine a scenario when I would ever switch to MacOS. I use Windows 7 every day and it does things that I couldn't do on an iDevice.

But windows 7 just wouldn't feel right on a touch-enabled tablet. In my limited testing and in the videos I've seen of W7 on a touch device, the almost-but-not-quite-imperceptible lag makes the whole experience seem poor.

It could be that the Windows Phone 7 could be competition for the iPad, but the undisputed fact is that right now, the iPad is the best by far.

Microsoft Courier and Slate are both canceled. I suspect that the Product Managers took a careful look at them side-by-side with the iPad and said, "back to the drawing board".

10. cherhall

cherhall
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    It's nice to see someone say they love Windows 7 on here! I too, really like it and love my new touch screen Windows 7 computer. I have bought two iMacs in the past, one years ago, one last year, and I always go back to my Win PC. I just prefer the OS and being able to get any software I want instead of a limited selection. Definitely not an Apple fanboi, but I do love my Ipad, and think the OS is perfect for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.