iPad vs HP Slate

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by CaptKirk, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Hey I think that is great. You could evaluate the duo and give an honest impression of value.

Go for it.

2. Rasputina

Rasputina
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    No, my desktop is a mac, and the core apps that I use in my personal computing are mac only, but have ipod/ipad apps that allow syncing. Which is why the fact that the HP slate runs windows makes it not work for my needs and the ipad does.

3. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I have a Mac Mini, 4 PCs 2 Servers and a Dell Notebook and I will end up getting both an iPad and probably a Slate as well. You can't be close minded about these things.

4. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Everyone is different - including their computing needs. I've been involved in the technology industry for 35 years - first computer was 512K FatMac with a 20MB hard drive. I've owned a number of machine over the years and purchased tens of thousands for business use - including both Mac and PC. (actually my first computer was a sinclare followed by an Apple IIE)

There really isn't a way to compare Mac and PC computers - at least to a great extent - because they are intrinsically designed to handle different types of tasks hence different types of users. The PC was designed as a number cruncher while the Mac was designed primarily as a graphics type computer. Through the years Macs have been the mainstream for publishers, photographers, videographers, etc. But if you're a meteorologist or an astronomer or an accountant - chances are you leaned towards PC's.

In the past ten years Macs and PC's have come much closer in overall computing capabilities albeit I would say the Mac has taken on many more traditional PC tasks versus the PC taking on traditional Mac Tasks. But as computing becomes more and more mainstream different types of markets and users develop. How many of you out there have children under the age of 8 who use a computer 10 hours a week or more? How many of you have children under 10 who own their own computer / or more precisely today - a netbook?

I closely watched the evolution over the past 12 years of the tablet PC - driven by the Microsoft Tablet PC operating system. I watched manufacturers get machines down to a tad over 3 pounds - with slow processors, small memory, smaller storage and a machine that got almost too hot to the touch.

What Apple did here with the iPad is revolutionary. They developed something that's not an iPhone, that's not a computer and appears to be easy to use by a person of any age. I was watching the newer version of the 'Andromeda Strain' the other day and noticed that someone took out a portable device that resembled a piece of aluminum foil and passed them around as viewable screens. That's where this is going. For those Astronomers out there - you'll still have your PC. For those videographers or graphic artists out there - you'll still have your Mac.

But the people in the middle - we'll have to see how this all integrates into both workplace and every day life processes. It'll take a year and a half to see if Apple has a true revolutionary winner here - but from what I can tell so far it's leaning that way. But I think we would be better off to leave the comparisons at the door between a full-blown HP slate machine running Windows 7 - and the iPad. Two different beasts.

5. Rasputina

Rasputina
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Whatever dude, call me close minded. I don't need 2 tablets. Have fun with your slate but I have no need for one.

6. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Hey I think that is great. You could evaluate the duo and give an honest impression of value.

Go for it.[/QUOTE]

Well, I did it. I went on line with Apple customer service tonight and cancelled the 3G I had on order. Another contributing factor, I just got the Sprint Sierra 4G Hot Spot and love it. No need for iPad 3G and no worry if the Slate will be 3G ready, I'll be ready for both worlds. And I agree with many of you stating the Slate will be a full Ops computer - guess what?? That's exactly what I want. And I agree with many of you that the iPad will always have the most Aps - guess what?? That's exactly what I got. The moral of my decision; why have both the same, why not have one of each....I will defiantly give you all an honest review of both devices, but can't promise when.

7. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I have a laptop - don't need another. The question is not why shouldn't we carry our laptop everywhere we go but rather why should we have to carry our laptop everywhere we go.

BTW - on the HP slate I'm not interested in specs on processors or ram or memory - but performance. How fast does it turn on? How HOT does it get with the additional programming and memory that have to be used? Lots of questions - but still I think a comparison is pointless.

8. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    What is the monthly fee from sprint for the service?

9. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I dunno - I used to have a Samsung Omnia with Walking Hot Spot - and I could have gone wifi only and hooked up to the Omnia. But we're talking 2 devices and having to do battery management with the Omnia - seemed more like a pain in the rear that the regular 3G.

Don't get me wrong - If I had a laptop that I had to tote around and needed ready wifi I would look into the hotspot - but I don't.

10. Aareen

Aareen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i wouldnt say HP Slate will be an iPad killer, because HP Slate is more of Netbook Tablet, and iPad is not. iPad is just a big version of Ipod Touch compare to Kindle from Amazon.com. So there are the differences. SO i wouldn't consider iPad as part of netbook tablet category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.