What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos from SD card to iPad - workflow needed

chadwell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to iPads and am finding it all a bit frustrating. Could someone help me achieve the following.I have the camera connection kit and an SD card with come photos on them.I want to:

1. Import the photos to the iPad into an album (e.g. 'Birthday 2012')

2. Resize the photos to be smaller in file size and place into another album (e.g. 'Birthday 2012 smaller')

3. Upload the 'Birthday 2012 smaller' album to dropbox

4. Transfer the larger album to my NAS over wireless.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visit(s). I edited your first post to add those carriage returns you wanted (and deleted the second one). Hope you don't mind too much... :)

On your process, are you having troubles along the way (getting specific error notices or it's not working) or are you looking for help on which apps to use?

Because I wonder: couldn't you just upload the picture to Dropbox after you've initially put them on the iPad from the SD card? IMO, it'd be easier to use a computer to modify the files and once you get them to Dropbox, you can do that easily. The computer will have more processing power to do all the re-sizing and sorting you need.

And, as a side note, as far as I am aware - you can't upload folders to Dropbox. You have to send each picture individually. The folders already have to be in existence on Dropbox or built afterward (and, they have to be built through their web site or on the computer - the iPad app won't let you build folders).

So, that's why I wonder...

Marilyn

OP
C

chadwell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!

I find that browsing photos on dropbox on the iPad is a lot faster than browsing them on my local network (See my other post with regards to iPad and Samba). And its a great way to have all my albums available.
But I am running out of space on dropbox so I need to reduce the file size before uploading them to dropbox. Each photo is 4 or 5MB so I want to reduce the photo size (and file size) before uploading.
But I also want to store the photos on my NAS drive in full resolution, should I ever want to print any etc. So I need an easy way to transfer the Full Res album over to my NAS drive.

Hope this makes sense.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Chadwell - welcome to the forum! :)

I agree w/ Marilyn, i.e. do you initial image manipulation, re-sizing, & creating folders on a regular computer, then you can sync (wired or wireless) to your iPad. For me, I bring my 14MP pics from my camera's SD card into a VISTA laptop, then use a free app called Irfanview - easily crops & re-sizes the images, which can then be synced, uploaded, or saved onto another device. Good luck and let us know your solution(s) - this is always a confusing topic even after some experience!

OP
C

chadwell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - I bought this iPad to replace an old netbook. I used the netbook to copy over photos from the SD card and I used to resize the images with VSO image resizer. I was hoping to do something similar on the iPad - basically copy over the photos, resize them and create copies. Upload to dropbox and store the high res photos on a NAS. I don't want to have to use another computer as it defeats the purpose.I think there is an app called iResize - so perhaps I can use that to batch resize all the photos in an album? I also have downloaded FileBrowser - so I'm hoping to use that to transfer the files over my network to my NAS.Just wondered if anyone else had experience of this?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again - well if you want to use the iPad, then check in the App Store for photo editing programs - much is available depending on your needs; for myself, I've been using Photogene & Snapseed for over a year now on my iPad2 - allow cropping & re-sizing (in addition to other image editing features).

Keep in mind that the iPad may 'optimize' imported photos - when done via a sync, images are reduced in size; when brought in via a camera (cabled or SD card), then the images are imported full size (up to a limit & app dependent, I believe) - CHECK HERE, if interested for more details on adding images to your iPad. Good luck and please post back your solution(s) - may help others - :)

OP
C

chadwell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple of apps - OneEdit and iResize.OneEdit looks good as you can choose your photos and then bacth resize them. You then have the option to upload to Facebook and Dropbox. So that would be great.I could then use filebrowser to copy the high res photos over to my NAS share. I'll maybe install OneEdit later and see how it works and report back.

Most reactions

Latest posts