What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos from PC to ipad via sd card

Afellwalker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I'm trying to find a way of renaming a large group of photos (400+), e.g. IMG_0001,IMG_0002,IMG_0003, and so on,without doing one at a time.
The reason is I intend to store the photos on a sd card.
I have previously changed the names of the photos on the PC after downloading from camera, I know I have to rename them in 8 characters.
The only way I have found to rename them does not work, e.g. IMG_0001 (1), IMG_0001 (2), IMG_0001 (3) and so on, this method won't load on to ipad, where the top e.g does.
Hope this makes some sense
Thank you
Afellwalker

OP
A

Afellwalker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will try to simplify my question, I may have confused everyone.
How do you rename multiple photos in the following way

IMG_0001
IMG_0002
IMG_0003
and so on

Without doing one at a time.

Thank you.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I know of no way to rename photos (or any files, for that matter) without doing them one at a time. This is whether you are using the iPad or a computer/laptop. Actually, you can't rename the pictures in the iPad Photo app - you'll have to use a 3d party photo management app to rename them. But, still, nothing I know of will name them all at once (as you are changing the actual file properties of the photo...).

Sorry.

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Afellwalker - welcome to the forum! :) I'd have to agree w/ Marilyn that renaming the files in bulk is not a possibility on the iPad, i.e. the photo apps that I own on the device can be used to re-label files individually. However, since you have these files on a SD card which can be 'seen' via file management software on a PC or a Mac, there is 'batch renaming' programs that may be effective, e.g. check THIS LINK for some discussion - I used IrfanView for years when I had PCs (excellent free program - however, never tried the 'batch' renaming feature). I'm now on Macs @ home and have not explored the options w/ OS X as to available apps - but, using UNIX line commands from the terminal can easily rename files in bulk (Check HERE) - I'm only a 'novice' at using UNIX, so cannot vouch for the ease of this process. Finally, do some googling on 'batch file renaming' for plenty of hits that may be of help. Good luck and let us know if you find a solution - Dave

anthonyq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Afellwalker

If I have read your question correctly, you can mass rename your pictures in Windows. Right click the last image of the batch you need to rename, then right click the first image while holding shift key, this will select all that you are wanting to rename. Then right click and choose "Rename"

OP
A

Afellwalker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I've tried that but they won't load on to ipad via sd card. To load on to the ipad the name has to be exactly 8 characters long. E.g. IMG_0001
Renaming the way you suggest it looks like this e.g. IMG_0001 (1) and this won't load onto ipad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, I've tried that but they won't load on to ipad via sd card. To load on to the ipad the name has to be exactly 8 characters long. E.g. IMG_0001
Renaming the way you suggest it looks like this e.g. IMG_0001 (1) and this won't load onto ipad.

Hi again - if not already done, please take a look at my post (#3) in this Related THREAD - does not add much to your comment above, but I'm just not sure that you can rename these images in the way desired and then get them back onto the iPad for future viewing, if I'm understanding your goal?

The 'batch labeling' links that I provided would certainly accomplish you renaming purposes, allow storage on a SD card, and also provide viewing on a PC or Mac, BUT on the iPad - probably not - maybe in iOS 7, Apple will (FINALLY) improve their native photo app and give us all more useful features - wishful thinking, me thinks! :(

Most reactions

Latest posts