What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad camera connection kit - will not access jpeg from SD or Micro SD

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Has anyone had success importing photos from an SD card via the Camera Connection kit? I have tried with a micro SD (using adaptor, of course) and with regular SD card, but neither Camera nor Photo app open immediately, and when I go into them, I don't see an option for importing photos. It looks like this was really easy to do on an iPad, but maybe challenging on iPad2?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
already discussed and discussing, please search forum.

unless you are not jailbroken, and this is just an issue you are having.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Denise - as already posted, there are many previous threads & posts on this topic - so, you may want to do some searching.

Also, provide some additional information concerning the SD cards being used, i.e. are these taken directly from a digital camera or are these cards onto which you have loaded JPEG images?

On a standard camera card, a DCIM folder stores the images plus other formatting may be needed for the Camera Connection Kit to recognize that the storage card contains images from a digital camera.

I find this a PITA myself in that I can get the SD cards from my cameras to bring up the images, but pics stored on other non-camera SD cards (even if I create a DCIM folder) do not work!

OP
DeniseB

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi Denise - as already posted, there are many previous threads & posts on this topic - so, you may want to do some searching.

Also, provide some additional information concerning the SD cards being used, i.e. are these taken directly from a digital camera or are these cards onto which you have loaded JPEG images?

On a standard camera card, a DCIM folder stores the images plus other formatting may be needed for the Camera Connection Kit to recognize that the storage card contains images from a digital camera.

I find this a PITA myself in that I can get the SD cards from my cameras to bring up the images, but pics stored on other non-camera SD cards (even if I create a DCIM folder) do not work!

Thank you! I have started looking but was frightened by some of the notes I was reading that referred to a 'Jailbreak' action (which I don't really want to do).
The pictures are from my cell phone, and I know that they're not in a DCIM folder at this moment, which is perhaps why they are not being detected.
Thank you, I will try to move them to a DCIM directory and see what happens!

charlyee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! I have started looking but was frightened by some of the notes I was reading that referred to a 'Jailbreak' action (which I don't really want to do).
The pictures are from my cell phone, and I know that they're not in a DCIM folder at this moment, which is perhaps why they are not being detected.
Thank you, I will try to move them to a DCIM directory and see what happens!
I am curious to see if you can make that work. I was trying to do the same but didn't think of moving them to the DCIM folder. However I can read from my point and shoot by either USB connection or from the SD card with the CCK.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the phone has a micro-USB port, try using the CCK and a micro-USB to USB cable to plug the phone into the iPad. This works for some phones, and should not hurt anything to try.

charlyee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the phone has a micro-USB port, try using the CCK and a micro-USB to USB cable to plug the phone into the iPad. This works for some phones, and should not hurt anything to try.
I tried that with my Atrix and it gave an error message of requiring too much power.

DeniseB, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. :)

OP
DeniseB

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
charlyee said:
I tried that with my Atrix and it gave an error message of requiring too much power.

DeniseB, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. :)

No problem! (the hijack :) )
So... I found a card that had been formatted by a camera and it worked like magic.... So I just have to figure out how to get my cell phone pics into the right folder.

I love you guys!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Quick tip:
The name of the pics need to be named img_9999 format under dcim folder. 9999 can represent any 4digit#.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem! (the hijack :) )
So... I found a card that had been formatted by a camera and it worked like magic.... So I just have to figure out how to get my cell phone pics into the right folder.

Denise - I transferred some images via my Vista laptop to the DCIM folder of a camera SD (the computer has an SD slot - used Windows Explorer) - once in the folder, I simply looked at the other pics there and renamed the added ones w/ the same type labeling just changing the last number - these imported into the iPad w/o a problem - kind of a pain but it did work!

Good luck - :)

OP
DeniseB

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Denise - I transferred some images via my Vista laptop to the DCIM folder of a camera SD (the computer has an SD slot - used Windows Explorer) - once in the folder, I simply looked at the other pics there and renamed the added ones w/ the same type labeling just changing the last number - these imported into the iPad w/o a problem - kind of a pain but it did work!

Good luck - :)

Giradman... You are wonderful with this information. Thanks! I struggled a bit with a few photos that I really wanted to upload, and then ended up just emailing them to myself and saving from the email (of course, this didn't use the converter, but oh well). I also tried connecting my cell phone to iPad2, but got the insufficient power message.
As you had noted earlier, sometimes copying the pictures to the DCIM folder doesn't work. That was my case, but I'm happy to see that I have some options.
Thank you for tracking on this! (and your icon is pretty cool, too!)
Denise

OP
DeniseB

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
Quick tip:
The name of the pics need to be named img_9999 format under dcim folder. 9999 can represent any 4digit#.

I'll have to try this. Thanks for the tip!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem Denise - I've also emailed photos to myself and simply copied them to the photo app - worked fine.

Yep as suggested if you want to use a camera's SD card, just renumber the photos as suggested in several posts - I'm still struggling w/ this myself (along w/ some other issues!). Good luck - :)

Thanks for the comment on the avatar (I'm a just retired academic radiologist)

dimamond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DeniseB said:
Hi. Has anyone had success importing photos from an SD card via the Camera Connection kit? I have tried with a micro SD (using adaptor, of course) and with regular SD card, but neither Camera nor Photo app open immediately, and when I go into them, I don't see an option for importing photos. It looks like this was really easy to do on an iPad, but maybe challenging on iPad2?

Haha lol

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@ Dimamond - :D

Patience, young grasshopper! ;)

kfdvdpilot.jpg

Most reactions