What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF Reader that preserves bookmarks

ERAU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've searched and reviewed several apps and haven't found an answer to this question.

I've got a lot of pdf's with bookmarks and navigation links. I see several of the pdf readers offer the ability to add bookmarks, but I've never seen one specifically say that they will recognize existing bookmarks in a pdf from another source.

Does anyone know of an app that will do this?

thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GoodReader does not. At least not with Preview on the iMac. Neither does iBooks.

Strangely I mailed a pdf (with bookmarks) from Preview on the iMac to iBooks, added few bookmarks when I didn't find any, then mailed it back. Preview saw the bookmarks it had added, but not the new ones I'd added in iBooks.

My conclusion is that bookmarks may not have a standard (or Apple does not support it) and that each app or program implements them in it's own way. Bummer.

Those are the only programs I had handy to test with, but at least you can cross off two possible apps from your list.

OP
E

ERAU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for narrowing the field. I thought I'd check in and let you know what I found.

I went right to the source and emailed some of the developers. iAnnotate and ReaddleDocs both responded that they do support this function. it's called an "outline" which is what threw me.

I downloaded iAnnotate and have been impressed. No connection to either developer, just passing along the knowledge.

Most reactions

Latest posts