What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF cannot be read on iPad

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!

I write a website and sometimes add a PDF to a page. It is viewable on my PC but anyone reading my website with an iPad is not able to view the PDF. I would like to know what you suggest is the best/easiest way to post these PDFs so that iPad users can view them instantly, no matter what they are viewing the site on.

At the moment I am downloading the PDFs via Scribd. I have added their app to my iPad but really don't want to have to ask readers of my site to do that extra step. That would be annoying for them.

I look forward to your response.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - you might want to provide an URL to your website so members can see what the issue may be on their own iPads? Dave :)

P.S. not sure if this 'violates' forum rules; if so, the moderators will 'chime in' - D.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For this purpose, please go ahead. This would fall into the "enhancing the conversation" category since without the URL the conversation is pretty well stalled.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's going to depend on how the PDF's are viewed.

If it's a link, then it should be viewable on the iPad by tapping on the link and letting it download.

If it's in-line with the website, it is going to depend on the method used. The iPad does not support Java, Flash, or other proprietary plugins .

Javascript and/or CSS should work.

Worst case, supply a direct link to the PDF, with a 'If you do not see the PDF click here" kind of thing.

Though, if for some reason you want to prevent the possibility of downloading the PDF that's not an option.

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello twerppoet! Such a comfort to see your face :) ... I sense rescue from self is imminent!

I am sitting here in my usual state of brain freeze when I can't figure something out. I'm sure there is a very simple answer to my problem that I'm not grasping. There always is.

PDF's: (Note: I don't want to post my website for public viewing because it is a private website for a multi condo complex.) I'll try to paint a visual:

I want to post a copy of our Bylaws and Rules on my website. I get a PDF. I upload it to Scribd. I convert it to code for Wordpress and paste it into the appropriate section on my website via my Desktop PC. It looks great on my PC. All is well. It can be many pages and I have no problem scrolling through the document. Then I discover to my dismay that anyone viewing our website on an iPad can't see the PDF. If they click on the Scribd link at the bottom of the screen as I have suggested they do - they get a gibbled view of my document on their iPad.

I check Scribd and it's apparent they know there is a problem. I believe they said something about IOS.7. They suggest downloading their app to my iPad - which I do. I can then view any/all docs I have previously uploaded to Scribd.

You can bet no one viewing our website is going to bother doing this. You know as well as I do that most viewers have the attention span of a gnat - and they will move on to something un-complicated.

There is no problem with anyone downloading these documents.

Your idea of a "direct link" makes sense. I'm drawing a blank on how to make a direct link from a PDF?

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's going to depend on how the PDF's are viewed.

If it's a link, then it should be viewable on the iPad by tapping on the link and letting it download.

If it's in-line with the website, it is going to depend on the method used. The iPad does not support Java, Flash, or other proprietary plugins .

Javascript and/or CSS should work.

Worst case, supply a direct link to the PDF, with a 'If you do not see the PDF click here" kind of thing.

Though, if for some reason you want to prevent the possibility of downloading the PDF that's not an option.
I just replied to your message ... and it has disappeared!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just replied to your message ... and it has disappeared!

I can see it.

The way to establish a direct link is to store the PDF file(s) either on your site, or host it elsewhere. I'm sure there is a way to do it with Wordpress, but I don't use it so I can't help there. But there are plenty of Wordpress help sites out there, so I'm sure a little research will tell you how to host and link to a file.

On the other hand you can also save it to DropBox or another cloud file service and share it there. Just save the share link and use that when creating a link on your website.

While the files won't be completely protected from the public, they would have to be pretty lucky to stumble on the share link by accident without going to your site.

James Frankinson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gave up with PDF on my Ipad, have found NotablePDF to be pretty fantastic on my Macbook air as i was already using google chrome when i found it. Has a pretty friendly UI and is handy for colab work

Most reactions

Latest posts