What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 - Problems with downloading PDF Atachments

OP
S

SR7133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The company are sending their PDF Attachments which are produced by Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES8.2; modified using iText 2.1.7 by 1T3XT.

PDF Version 1.7 (Acrobat 8.x)

Is this the reason why mobile devices cannot open the attachments?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Probably. A quick look at the iText site shows that it's main purpose is to create and manage dynamic/interactive PDF files. That is bound to vary from the standard PDF format to some degree.

virumque

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I opened a PDF on my new iPad. I get a grey screen, textured. I can coax out a Drop down that is a darker grey with the time and " No New Notifications" I can close down the screen and get to main iPad screen with apps on top and safari, mail, &c below. How do I restart mail? I did install new iOS; then I got normal mail screen, but stupidly, I open the PDF again! Textured grey screen ...
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
virumque said:
I opened a PDF on my new iPad. I get a grey screen, textured. I can coax out a Drop down that is a darker grey with the time and " No New Notifications" I can close down the screen and get to main iPad screen with apps on top and safari, mail, &c below. How do I restart mail? I did install new iOS; then I got normal mail screen, but stupidly, I open the PDF again! Textured grey screen ...
Thanks

Try tapping in the center of the screen. You should get a done or close button at the top left of the screen.

virumque

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try tapping in the center of the screen. You should get a done or close button at the top left of the screen.
I tried all manner of taps to no avail. I do note that the drop screen now has Twerpoet's message and an iPF icon. Thanks for the quick reply, though.
I kept trying and after splaying four fingers on the screen I was rewarded with a banner at the top. I quickly pressed the upper left " DONE" and was presented with the message which I carefully replaced by another.
Since I can simply avoid PDFs on the i-devices (naturally I am not tempted to try on my iPhone), I will wait to see if others encounter this behavior.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know what is going on. the Mail app normally handles PDF files just fine..

I'm assuming you mean my message showed up in the Notification center. Means you're subscribed to this thread and will get an email each time some posts something new to it. The notification center is opened by sliding your finger down from the top edge. You slide it back up by touching or flicking the drag handle at the bottom.

Last edited:
OP
S

SR7133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Virumque, I am not sure that your question is related to my thread. It might be better starting one of your own.

OP
S

SR7133

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have now found that the company are sending out their PDFs in an Adobe Dynamic XML Form. I bought the PDF Expert App thinking this might open the form but no luck. Has anyone got a solution to opening these forms on an iPad?

Most reactions