Pages not loading for my Apple I Pad II?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by ecruRabbit, Jan 24, 2013.

1. ecruRabbit

ecruRabbit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last night when I was trying to load a specific web page on my I Pad, I just got a dark screen with the website name (not full address, just name, at the top of the page). I waited longer than usual because the page had so much content and so many videos, but it never loaded. I tried refreshing the page, closing all other open programs, and restarting and returning to the site; yet, the webpage still will not open on my I Pad II tablet. What gives? Are there some specific apps I am needing for broader utilization of the I pad II? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as my computer is much like my automobile. I just know where to stick the key. If it doesn't work after that, I gotta' call somebody! But, at least I am doing my part toward job creation. : )
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,432 / 1
    Is the web page Flash based? Flash won't play on the iPad. When you had the problem with this particular web page, did other web pages load normally?
  3. ecruRabbit

ecruRabbit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Right, but I didn't have a problem any where else. The page I was trying to load was mrdeity.com. It's videos load and run find on YouTube on my tablet, so what am I missing. Thank you for your time and response.
  4. scifan57

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,432 / 1
    I just tried it and it opened right up.
  5. ecruRabbit

ecruRabbit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CORRECTION--I do not think that page is flash based. I misspoke above when I said "right".
  6. ecruRabbit

ecruRabbit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't get to it on my tablet. R u going to you tube or what?
  7. scifan57

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,432 / 1
    I just did a search for the site you mentioned, I didn't try YouTube.
  8. ecruRabbit

ecruRabbit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    --My I Pad 2 will not open a simple web page, and after refreshing over a dozen times, rebooting the entire system and restarting more than once, I am appealing to the technology gods for any advice or guidance. The tablet is an Apple II, that I have updated each time an update alert was issued. The website I need to go on is mrdeity.com, which works fine with my laptop, and is not flash driven or anything like that. I just need to figure out if there is a problem with my tablet or what to do. I know everyone is busy so any help would be so appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  9. ecruRabbit

ecruRabbit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for taking time out. I know everyone is busy, so I do appreciate your willingness to help.
  10. scifan57

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,432 / 1
    Have you tried a hard reset of your iPad? Push and hold the home and power buttons simultaneously, releasing them only when the Apple logo appears. When the iPad turns back on, try the website again.
  11. ecruRabbit

ecruRabbit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did. No luck. Why would that 1 page not work on my tablet but work on my laptop? What am I missing? I guess there is a problem with my ipad.
  12. runningbear29

runningbear29 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I would install another browser, I have three I use on my iPads. If then you can't reach a web site it might be a iPad problem. Sure you mean an Ipad2 the Apple II was the first Apple computer that was sold, I had one.
  13. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I tried two iPad browsers and that site didn't work on either of them. It didn't work on Chrome on my Android tablet. It does work with The Boat Browser and Firefox on my Nexus 10, but both of these support flash, which I have installed. Note that on Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean), flash is not supported. I had to download it and install it on my own to get flash support. Flash is dead on mobile devices. Mrdeity would do well to move on to html5.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. runningbear29

runningbear29 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This seems the correct answer, glad you made it known for the O.P.
  15. ecruRabbit

ecruRabbit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you so much for your time and attention looking into this. I have tried other browsers. I have Google, Google Chrome, and Safari installed and tried each with no luck. Now, are you saying that I need to install Flash and some other kind of browser that supports Flash? Thank you again for you help!
  16. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,202 / 1
    At first I thought it was working, but then realized I'd mistyped the URL and was getting one of those fancy search pages that pop up when you enter non-existing URLs. "Deity" is one of those pesky i before e exceptions. ;)

All I get in Safari is a black screen.

It does work in Puffin, one of the better Flash enabled browser. That means it is either Flash based, or possibly Java based. Either way, Puffin or another Flash enabled browser should do the job.

Hold in mind that Flash enabled browsers work by visiting the website via a remote server and reformatting the content for your iPad. This adds extra delays which, along with server load, can affect how well the browser performs, especially on videos. Puffin's delay is usually tolerable, if not perfect.

There are other Flash enabled browsers, some cheaper, some more expensive. I don't keep track of which one is currently the best, so you might want to do a bit of your own research.

These second hand Flash browsers are the only way to view Flash content directly on the iPad. You can not download Flash are any other Flash enabling plug-ins on the iPad.

The only other method is to run your own remote session on your own computer via a remote desktop app like SplashTop. This can do anything your computer can do, with the downside of needing the computer, needing the computer to be on, and trying to control a desktop UI with makeshift touch controls.

Edit:

I take it back. The site works, after a fashion, but videos still do not play. Apparently there is some other plug-in required beyond just having Flash.

Edit Again:

The shows hosted on YouTube work. The ones hosted on Crackle do not, so it's Crackle (Season One and Two) that needs the mystery plug-in. Season Three works.

I see that all the shows are supposed to be in iTunes as podcasts as well. For earlier episodes you can get Apple's free Podcast app (or some other third party app) and subscribe. Podcasts on iTunes (and most other places) are always free.

If you get serious about podcasts, there are third party apps that many consider much better than Podcast. I'm not serious enough to have tried any of them.
  17. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I remember that one of the browers I tried on Android forced me to click to install a plugin.
  18. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,202 / 1
    Thanks. It's nice to know I'm not I'm not just making it all up in my head. :)
  19. marieb18

marieb18 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had this issue alot lately...not just one site ...I go to settings,safari and rechoose google and it works, I think that's a dumb thing to have to do but it's the only way until enough of us complain.
  20. ecruRabbit

ecruRabbit iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just wanted to thank everyone again for your time and response to my issue. I know everyone is busy so it means a lot that you took time out to help.
    . By the way, I did find 2 apps, iswifter and photon, that are Flash alternatives and allow some flash based content to work with the ipad tablet. Thanks again!