ghost finger takes over my Ipad!

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Thom14940, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Thom14940

Thom14940
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    my Ipad 2 started having random "taps" like a "ghost finger" it does it all opens safari starts typing, changes settings, srinks and expands pages, you name it, it does it. I did find that when it opens a key pad I can type a "N" by passing my finger over the letter. it does not do it all the time. turning it off and on repeatedly will sometimes fix for awhile. I have removed all the apps., updated the os, reset the settings. at this point it seems like a hardware rather than software. any thoughts

2. mrsterrijane

mrsterrijane
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i dont have a useful suggestion, but it sounds possesed to me. maybe you need an exorsist?

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    If you haven't, you should try a reset.

After that you are left with a restore, and if that does not fix it then you are right, it is probably hardware. Hopefully you are still under warrantee.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

4. adam_chicago

adam_chicago
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Make sure your screen is super-clean. I believe there are proximity sensors in addition to the magnets used by the smart cover that "wake up" the screen for touch input and can also glitch if left on..

5. Thom14940

Thom14940
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    update

sorry forgot to thank everone and update you. In case someone else has this problem. tried all your suggestions, no go, Is under warranty, back to the store I went.
    Drove a little over an hour to store.(Closest that had one at the time.) the retailer was limited help, " We don't have a way to repair and you are passed our store policy for return/exchange time". The "Geck" (thats what they are called!) did direct me to "closest" apple store with a " genius bar", an additional 45 minutes! Now two hours from home, I had to make an appointment to talk to "a Genius", two hour wait. cruised the mall. finally got to see somone. Service was great! He had never seen an ipad do this before. Said it must be hardware, got me a new one, help to move my "stuff", reload and reset everything. Was on my way. From what I was told and over heard next to me it seems If you ever need repair out of warranty, it starts at 345 dollars no matter what apple product you have. Maybe others have found diff. but that was the price that day. My warranty did not start over either, I have 100 odd days left. Does that seem fair? maybe the industry standard. When I said something, It was suggested that I add the extended warranty. Sorry to bore you but maybe for anyone that needs repair someday my exp. will help.

6. idave23

idave23
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Updates are always good. Thanks:)

7. w1ngman

w1ngman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    From my general consumer experience, the fact that your 'replaced' iPad wil *retain* your remaining 100 days of warranty coverage from the initial purchase seems more than fair to me. Replacement of other electronics have, in my experience, *been* the coverage of the original warranty...and while you walk away with a new replacement, that new replacement has zero warranty (unless an extended one is purchased). Good for you!

8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yes, seems perfectly reasonable to me, too.

9. clothesfee

clothesfee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    in iTunes, after you restore the system, do not restore any backups, set it as a new device.

10. locoman

locoman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I remember something thing like that happening to my work computer when the IT guys needed to fix a problem on my computer and they were working from a different part of the building. It was real spooky.