What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari Reloading iPad Forum Pages

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that every page I opened in the iPad 2 Forum would load apparently correctly, but then suddenly disappear and I would get the text 'A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded' and after a pause, the page would then reload. This made me unhappy so I deleted the bookmark on my home page and reloaded it - but the same thing is still happening. It also happens when I log in to iPad Forums and when the page reloads I am back to square one, not logged in (so I am having to use my desktop to write this). This happens with no other site, the iPad has been rebooted and so on, and is otherwise performing flawlessly. Since it is a recent development I am wondering if its to do with the site itself or one of the recent iPad upgrades. Anybody else have this problem?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure your iPad is not in Private mode; the tool bar is a dark gray. If it is, tap the double square icon at the top right, then tap the Private button to unhighlight it. The tool/URL bar should turn back to white.

Private mode prevents the storing of cookies and other data that lets you keep a persistent login over several sessions. Sites can react to this in unpredictable ways.

Another thing to do is to go to Settings > Safari and Clear History and Web Data. Sometimes stored information gets corrupted and has to be forcible removed to make things work correctly again. You'll have to log back into sites that normally remember you after you do this.

The site itself occasionally has problems and causes unexpected reloads and issues. I haven't seen a lot of these recently, since the new software has settled in, but when it happens the only thing to do is soldier on. It's usually caused by unusually heavy traffic, and should resolve itself.

If none of this helps please provide more information. Your iPad's model, current iOS version, and any recent changes you think might be an issue. The iPad 2 has limited RAM, and as it gets older it has more and more reload issues with sites. Partially this is iOS 8 putting a greater burden on RAM and the processor. Partly it is the web itself becoming more demanding and complicated over the years. A forum site is one of the most complex websites you'll encounter.

And, of course, if you have not done so recently, restart or reset your iPad. This fixes a multitude of issues, and is easily overlook on the iPad which is often left on all the time.

-----------------------------

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
D

Dopplerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Twerppoet, did the Clear History & Webdata thing and all is good. Because it only happened on this site, the thought to try that never occurred to me. Cheers

Mythras

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad it worked.
I had a similar problem and tried all of the recommended fixes, without any improvement. Following Twerpoet's advice I toggled the Private option several times and this seems to have worked.
I have watched this forum for some time, but not posted before.
I have to say that for practical assistance, common sense, and unfailing courtesy this forum is one of the nicest I have encountered. Thanks indeed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No idea why toggling Private mode would work (as opposed to turning it off if it is on), but I'm glad it worked for you.

Thanks for the feedback.

Algeorge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that every page I opened in the iPad 2 Forum would load apparently correctly, but then suddenly disappear and I would get the text 'A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded' and after a pause, the page would then reload. This made me unhappy so I deleted the bookmark on my home page and reloaded it - but the same thing is still happening. It also happens when I log in to iPad Forums and when the page reloads I am back to square one, not logged in (so I am having to use my desktop to write this). This happens with no other site, the iPad has been rebooted and so on, and is otherwise performing flawlessly. Since it is a recent development I am wondering if its to do with the site itself or one of the recent iPad upgrades. Anybody else have this problem?

I also had this problem but switched off JavaScript sorted it

Most reactions

Latest posts