What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okay ~. NOW I wish....

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll be surprised at the amount of things you'll be able to do with dropbox. I created a public partition on it that I share with other users such as my daughter. Plus, if you use Habilis Mail (free) you'll be able to put documents in dropbox by just mailing them to the address they give you. Anyone around you will be able to send you documents with this address too. Cool!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, Docs2Go costs $10 (?) for the regular version and $15 for Premium.

I saw that. I would probably get the premium when I do get it. Wonder what the diff is?

With DocsToGo you can synchronize your documents with your computer by wifi. No need to plug in, as long as both devices are on is sufficient. You don't even have to use dropbox with it that way. I did find it long to configure though but things are well explained.
If you think the price to be a factor, I'll just say that it's cheaper than MS Office on any platform.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According to the description of the regular app, the Premium version allows you to edit Powerpoint files, and gives you Google Docs, Dropbox, drop.net, Sugarsync capabilities.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, Docs2Go costs $10 (?) for the regular version and $15 for Premium.

I saw that. I would probably get the premium when I do get it. Wonder what the diff is?

With DocsToGo you can synchronize your documents with your computer by wifi. No need to plug in, as long as both devices are on is sufficient. You don't even have to use dropbox with it that way. I did find it long to configure though but things are well explained.
If you think the price to be a factor, I'll just say that it's cheaper than MS Office on any platform.

That's why I only have the regular version. I am fine with syncing only at home.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Team Viewer is outstanding. I've set all of my computers up with it so if I don't have the files I need, I can send them to myself from the other remotely via e-mail. Or dropping them in Dropbox. Works absolutely perfect.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I'd known that Pages was so isolated and closed I wouldn't have bought it. But it does lovely presentations when compares to the others so it was worth it.

Let's say I want to write something that could be read in iBooks. I have to save the document in PDF format then send it to my Habilis address in Dropbox, open it there to save in iBooks. How complicated would it be just to save it there in the first place. You lose a lot of productivity just for the pleasure of working on the iPad...

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
If I'd known that Pages was so isolated and closed I wouldn't have bought it. But it does lovely presentations when compares to the others so it was worth it.

Let's say I want to write something that could be read in iBooks. I have to save the document in PDF format then send it to my Habilis address in Dropbox, open it there to save in iBooks. How complicated would it be just to save it there in the first place. You lose a lot of productivity just for the pleasure of working on the iPad...

Keep in mind this is just the first version of the iPad and there are going to have to be wrinkles worked out with the system. Honestly, I'm thinking Apple is still trying to figure out exactly which direction to take it in. I'll bet you that they didn't even think of half of the uses coming up for it yet. Just bear with it, I'll bet there will be more functionalities coming down the road.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Keep in mind this is just the first version of the iPad and there are going to have to be wrinkles worked out with the system. Honestly, I'm thinking Apple is still trying to figure out exactly which direction to take it in. I'll bet you that they didn't even think of half of the uses coming up for it yet. Just bear with it, I'll bet there will be more functionalities coming down the road.
Personally I think they deliberately castrated the iPad as a way to slow down piracy. But in so doing they alienated the iPad to a huge would be owning population. They might also be preparing a full tablet computer and are testing the market, just to see if tablets sell. That I would definitely get.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Personally I think they deliberately castrated the iPad as a way to slow down piracy. But in so doing they alienated the iPad to a huge would be owning population. They might also be preparing a full tablet computer and are testing the market, just to see if tablets sell. That I would definitely get.

While the piracy issue is a possibility, I suspect the second part of your statement hits the nail on the head. I would put money on them releasing a full OS tablet before it's all said and done. And this is definitely the "cheaper" way to do it in the grand scheme of things.

But I will stand by one of my statements. I think that while it has been locked down to an extent, I do believe the iPad is evolving into uses that many never imagined it being associated with. In a good way. And this actually ties in with your second statement. I believe they are watching this evolution and using it to decide about going full on.

I have to say, for my writing, the instant on aspect has won me over and they full OS is going to have to either be VERY fast coming on or have a lot to offer me over what I have now to pique my interest.

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Helpful Review

This is a link to a review that is very helpful for using Dropbox:
Mac 101 | Review: Dropbox for iPad

One of Dropbox's excellent features is the Favorites feature.

If you "star" or favorite a file, that file is now available OFFLINE.

You can test for yourself by turning on Flight Mode in your Ipad. This temporarily shuts off your wifi.

I've been using Dropbox for months and it's a fine product.

One thing though, if you set up links with friends or family and send them a file or three and they Drag and Drop that file to another location it will no longer be in their Dropbox or YOURS.

I no longer link to friends or family via Dropbox.

Most reactions

Latest posts