What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OH NO - iTUNES has wiped all my Father-in-law's email from Outlook express

robeaston33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Really looking for some help or offer a warning to others. I recently bought the iPAD 2 for my father-in-law, who was not sure about the iPAD but I insisted he will love it.

In iTunes it offers to sync with Outlook Express, so I ticked this and his email account and WIPE! all the emails and subfolders have gone from outlook express, and no copy on the mail server from Jerseymail.co.uk !!! What a nightmare.

I have called microsoft and apple and they are not helping. I am particularly disappointed with Apple who although they clearly support it, did not offer any further help, or explain why there was no even a warning message!

I searched the whole computer for .dbx files and they have gone :-(

Thanks in advance
Rob

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I feel for you. Since you talk about .dbx files, you clearly know what you're doing! Is your jersey mail account IMAP or POP? It may sound a stupid question, but how did you determine that all the emails had disappeared from the jersey mail server - by using Outlook Express or webmail?

I find it difficult to see how the iTunes sync deleted the emails from the jersey mail server - so do you have that account in Outlook Express set to automatically delete emails that have been uploaded to Outlook Express?

Tim....keeping my fingers crossed for you.
PS even if iTunes has 'deleted' the .dbx files, they'll still be on your PC and you'll be able to undelete them if you *don't write any new files to your PC* until they're undeleted.

OP
R

robeaston33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your note. Well I don't really know what I am looking for but I have tried to understand what happened....

The Jerseymail.com server does download all mail to the outlook express file on the PC as the limit is only 5mb! and it is POP. So when it synced it did wipe the .dbx files and therefore there were no mails on the server....

nightmare.

I searched the computer for all * .dbx files and they have gone.... and so maybe they have been converted into some other kind of file that outlook express can not view them... what might that be?

Thanks again!

Rob :confused:

Reaction score
robeaston33 said:
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your note. Well I don't really know what I am looking for but I have tried to understand what happened....

The Jerseymail.com server does download all mail to the outlook express file on the PC as the limit is only 5mb! and it is POP. So when it synced it did wipe the .dbx files and therefore there were no mails on the server....

nightmare.

I searched the computer for all * .dbx files and they have gone.... and so maybe they have been converted into some other kind of file that outlook express can not view them... what might that be?

Thanks again!

Rob :confused:

5MB? And I thought web.de was being restrictive with limiting the email account to 12MB. Time for an email provider change. Hotmail or Gmail are good choices,

Anyway, since the email is gone, I assume you have used the windows search. So it is now time for the big guns! Recuva, it reads through your hard drive and looks for any files that are there. If it finds any files, which according to Windows don't exist will it list them and give you the option to restore. Have a go, let it run a Deep-Scan on C drive (it will ask you for this, when the program starts) and than browse through the results for the .dbx file.
Note: the scan may take a few hours, as it is very thorough.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/

Good luck, hopefully the emails will be back soon

Most reactions