What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my iPad a goner? Error 40

Kooosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is an email I've drafted out in attempt to send to Apple but instead they have me an error saying,"We're sorry, the transaction cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later or contact us." Twice...

Recently I've had my iPad hang. It hung for so long I decided to restart my iPad so I held the sleep button and home button until it restarted on its own.

Upon restarting, the Apple logo displayed as per usual and then came the iTunes logo and a picture of a USB below pointing to the iTunes logo. I assume this is the recovery mode. So I proceeded to click "Restore". It started downloading the update and went on to restore my iPad.

At the end of the restoration then came the error saying,"The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (40)."

This would not be a PC issue as I tried restoring it from my laptop which failed and so I tried it on my PC which failed as well. My network is also not the issue as I am fully connected to the internet with no issue syncing my other Apple devices and updating etc.. And since I have been able to sync with no problem (both on my laptop and my PC) for my other Apple devices, I strongly believe that it is not an issue with my security software.

I've read somewhere on the internet saying,"..due to out-of-date or incorrectly configured security software". Could it be that some part of the software on my iPad that saves the date stopped on that very day when it became "bricked"? And that now it is another date and that conflicts with the part of the software that uses this information? Would it help if I changed my desktop's date and try again? Please understand that at this point in time I've tried all I can and frankly am frustrated already. So I would like to know if it would work before trying.

So I've decided to make a trip down to a local Apple authorised service provider to see if they can fix this. They have stated that it is an issue that customers face and that some can be restored and some can not be restored. They then tried to restore for two times and concluded to me that the device is unable to be restored. They went on to offer me a 1-to-1 replacement where I would have to send in my current unit and pay a fee of S$400++ to have it replaced for a brand new iPad version 1 with the exact same specifications.

Tell me frankly and honestly that this offer is genuinely a good offer and I will take it. But take no offence; who in the right mind is going to pay 400 bucks for a device that is two generations backdated.

The apple authorised service provider also stated that the problem with my iPad was that of a hardware issue. I have no dropped it a single time, I have not ever used it until its burning hot, and there isn't a single tinge of a burnt smell coming off from it. If what they say is true then I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the lifespan of this iPad. And the standard 1-year warranty is definitely not fair for a product like this. You have to agree that in a mass production no matter how careful or accurate manufacturing machines are there are bound to have issues that may have produced a compromised product.

So here's a quick summary of the things I've tried:

- opened iTunes, connected device, set to DFU mode and tried restoring.

- tried with a laptop, PC Desktop.

- tried with a different 18 pin USB cable.

- tried self-diagnosing the issue after reading your troubleshooting page,
iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting

- delete the iOS software file (.ipsw) and retried restoring again.

- sent to an Apple authorised service provider located at,
eServ@313Somerset by Micro 2000 Technology Pte Ltd (6.5 kms)
313@Somerset (Somerset MRT), #B3-22 (Beside M1), 313 Orchard Road, Singapore 238895

All of which ended with a disappointment that my iPad died out of the blue and is now still unable to be restored back to factory settings.

Would appreciate if you could help. Thanks in advance!

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For $400 you can upgrade to a 16G iPad 2. That's ridiculous that they charge that much to replace for a new iPad 1.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems like it's time to buy a new tablet.

I'd expect a tablet to last more than two years, but sometimes electronics fail. Luck of the draw.

OP
K

Kooosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly! It shouldn't be this way though. I'm just wondering if there is a way to fix this issue now. And if there's a customer service I can email it to.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would just upgrade because it's probably going to cost you some change to fix it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not worth fixing unless someone will fix for free or next to nothing. It's a two-generations old device that isn't worth much. Apple won't repair it, either. All they do is offer a discounted replacement.

Singapore dollars run about 80 percent of U.S. dollars, but an iPad 1 isn't worth $320 USD. And its value probably will drop even further when the next iPad debuts. iPad 1 won't get iOS 6, either.

Unless you find a cheap repair, you might as well move on and get a new tablet. Maybe you could attempt your own repair, but it would cost you money for parts and you still might end up with a dead iPad.

Maybe you could sell it to someone willing to risk a repair, at least get some money to apply toward a new tablet.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kooosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it is a goner? No way this could be a software problem that can be fixed? What could have caused this?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The security software issue you read about was for the firewall software on your PC blocking the restore. Not security software on your iPad.

The only time I've come across this was on a jail broken iPad 1. We were never able to restore it. An Apple service tech said that the jail break left remnants behind that the restore could not deal with, however I don't know if that was true or not.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't see the point of sending a letter or email to Apple in your situation. Try ringing Apple direct, they have a number in Singapore for that reason.

But at this point, you may find it is time to upgrade to a new model.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
The security software issue you read about was for the firewall software on your PC blocking the restore. Not security software on your iPad.

That makes more sense after reading the error code online. It also said it could be a hardware issue, but you could check that somehow, and it had something to do with the displaying of its Mac address when connected?

I guess if you could rule in or out the hardware issue you would know where you stood.

Most reactions

Latest posts