Note Taker HD vs. Notes Plus

Discussion in 'Productivity Apps Forum' started by explosions, Jan 4, 2011.

1. explosions

explosions iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm in a debate between these two apps for note taking. Which do you prefer and why?

(Yes I know there is a note taking app thread, but I'm just concerned with these two.)

Thanks
  2. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I have both but find I prefer to use Note Taker as my fingers are big and my scrawl is often illegible. I don't use a stylus as I would never find it when it was needed :(
    One thing I don't like is the return button placement but there are not a lot of options.
    It's a solid app which has been updated several times since I bought it but I think aesthetically Notes plus looks better.
    Frankly I could live with either.
  3. DDustiNN

DDustiNN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am debating between these two myself, and I'm leaning toward Notes Plus. The biggest factor being that reviewers have mentioned that Note Taker HD does not allow keyboard entry, meaning hand-writing only. Notes Plus allows both, and looks incredibly functional. This is the video that sold me:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li3q1Lr1vxk[/ame]

It looks pretty much perfect for what I want in a note-taking app. The only thing I'd like in addition is a link between the audio and the text... like if you click on something you write, it would play that part of the audio. I know some other app(s) had this feature, so maybe it will be added here someday.
  4. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,864 / 0
    I find that I prefer Note Taker HD over Notes Plus (I have both). Two main reasons:

1) You cannot delete notes in Notes Plus. You can send them to the Trash, yes. But, in the Trash folder, if you swipe, you'll get a "Restore" button that'll send your note back to the active file. There is no "Delete" button.

2) You don't get full landscape function. When you have Notes Plus in landscape, the file structure list still shows on the left hand side. If there is a way to remove it, I haven't found it, but it limits the size of your paper in landscape mode.

I also found the return function of the zoom-in handwriting function to be a bit hinky in Notes Plus. Sometimes, instead of taking my handwriting to the next line, I was writing over my previous writing.

I do like the way Notes Plus writes and auto-corrects lines, circles, etc. It is very smooth and works well. I also like, that in zoom-in handwriting, I can see where to put my finger/stylus better (see your previous handwriting versus blank in Note Taker HD).

Of course, a lot of this is operator error and may just need more practice. I may like Note Taker HD 'cause I've had it/used it longer. They both are good note taking apps

TBH, though, the deal-killer for me with Notes Plus is the inability to delete. I simply hate that! So, it's Note Taker HD that I use in college. YMMV.

Marilyn
  5. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Delete functionality is coming - I think in the next update - the dev states this is one of the highest priority updates he is working on.
  6. explosions

explosions iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I figured the only way to decide would be to try them both.
    So I bought them both yesterday and have been messing around with them.

All in all, I think i prefer Note Taker HD (so far).

Note Taker HD
    I like the UI better.
    I like being able to import pdf files.
    I like that it's made by a guy who is known and known to have skill.
    I like that you can print (even though I haven't tried it yet).
    I like having an eraser.
    I dislike that you can't type.

Notes Plus
    The only thing it has over Note Taker HD is:
    -Typing
    -Shape detection

I was talking with developer Viet Tran yesterday (who seems to be a very nice guy by the way) and he has a good list of updates that are supposed to be coming very soon that should make it more in the ballpark with Note Taker HD.

As for them both, I think after several updates they will both be at a very functional level.
  7. DDustiNN

DDustiNN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw this in one of the videos I watched on YouTube... all you do is do the "zoom out" gesture and it makes the page full-screen, getting rid of that side panel.
  8. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,864 / 0
    Aha! So it does. Thanks for telling me, DDustiNN. 'Preciate that. I didn't even think about trying to swipe...

Marilyn
  9. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I'm a big fan of Note Taker HD, but it doesn't have cut/copy paste. I'd particularly like to be able to paste partial screen-grabs.

I notice that Notes Plus allows you to move your handwritten text around. Can you move it between different pages or between different notes? I guess I'm asking whether it copies/pastes. That ability would make it very attractive to me.

Has anyone else had Mickey330's issue with the return function not always working smoothly?
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  10. sakunlabs

sakunlabs iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that the steady development in Note Taker HD (the engine, UI, features) is one of the best I have seen. Big props just for that.
  11. Sridhar

Sridhar iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does any of these two apps allow me to write text with my finger, convert to actual characters and let me copy and paste in email, twitter etc.?
  12. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    No. You will need Phatpad or there is another one that does the job - name escapes me just now.
  13. Sridhar

Sridhar iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WritePad. What is the other one?
  14. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0

It is true that you cannot directly delete notes in Notes Plus, but the size of the Notes Plus Trash is limited to 20 notes. Once you reach that limit, the oldest notes are deleted first. If you absolutely need to delete notes, you can use the (not very sophisticated!) 'workaround' of 'flushing' the trash with blank notes!

Tim
    Scotland
  15. donka

donka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    That's the one I couldn't remember. The other is Phatpad.
  16. Claudia Wey

Claudia Wey iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Notes Plus is the best!

I did tried both, and my preferences goes to Notes Plus. After trying many different apps, Notes Plus has gained the top position in my daily routine. Notes Plus is very simple, yet very powerful and packed with many extremely useful features that make for a very effective note taking experience. The biggest shortcoming is the lack of endless pages. Pages are a physical constraint when working on paper, but a completely artificial and unnecessary constraint when working with electronic media.
    I had reviewed both apps on my blog if you are interested on more details:
    ipad-app-review.blogspot.com
  17. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks for the reviews Claudia. I like Notes Plus too, but can't honestly say that I've given Dan Bricklin's program enough time to decide. I don't like Penultimate's landscape mode and it seems a bit underpowered compared to these two.
  18. Plainsman

Plainsman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I just dl'd NOTES PLUS and have been messing with it. I found an old Newton stylus but it doesn't work apparently on the iPad. Takes a special stylus does it?

...OK. answered my own question. DUH!
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  19. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    The old Apple Newton (ah - fond memories) had a pressure sensitive screen so almost anything could be used - pencil, finger etc.

The iPad screen is capacitive and is much more sensitive. But it needs a special type of stylus that provides the appropriate 'capacitive' signal to the screen. You'll see several threads on this Forum from Members who have made their own, it's not a difficult process.

Tim
  20. topcatone

topcatone iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny I have both, and just scratched them, I went with I annotate, downloaded a blank Cornell note template and said the hell with it. Note plus... had trouble with the margins, importing. Note taker HD...where's the record button? Drop Box? etc.... I annotate allows me to import the powerpoint from class.... have a blast. plus i can insert my notes into the pdf and yes the update has a record feature that hand to gloves the text..... anybody in the market for a livescribe pen? I think both apps are great, however success in school is inversely related to the amount of tools you have in the toolbox... more apps is not a good thing.... last time I was in college, i only used an 80page notebook a pen and a book... K.I.S.S. good day