What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note Taker HD vs. Penultimate

jaav88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for a note taking app. The two apps that have the best reviews are this two. Which one would you recommend me? Any other suggestions? Thanks!!

Victguja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on what you have to do. Note taker HD is a professional note taker, more powerful than Penultimate. However Penultimate is not bad, gives a very good write feeling and a minimum of options to take a note here and there. If you live taking notes, like myself, don't hesitate, go for Note Taker HD.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both.
Penultimate for quick notes and cartoons
NotetakerHD for serious note taking. Updated regularly.

Both have vids on youtube so check them out first.

Brackintosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Penultimate is fine for goofing around and jotting down a few quick items, but for serious note taking, get Notes Plus and a stylus. I've been using it for a couple of months now and it has replaced my paper notebooks at work. I sometimes scribble down a quick measurement or random thought on paper, but for meeting/design notes, everything is organized in one place. Using the close-up mode, you can write full pages of notes with ease.

I have no affiliation with the developer, but love the product. It is on sale today for $1.99. I'd grab it for that price.

benschmidt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Victguja, Hasty, and Brackintosh have reiterated the essence of the difference:
  • Penultimate: simplicity, minimal learning curve
  • Note Taker HD: full-featured, learning curve
If you're a visual person, I've posted iPad screen captures and printouts comparing a full page of Penultimate content, with the same content, entered onto a NTHD page:

• No links or adverts to personal or business websites - read the rules!

Edited by Gabriel1

Gabriel1, but I don't see a "rules" link, nor anything against linking in the FAQ. And the posting editor does have a links button.

Here are are just the two images in the webpage to which I was linking. The purpose of the previous link, as well as these, is merely to show the exact same handwritten content, filling an entire page when entered into Penultimate ; while filling < 1/2 of page when entered on NoteTaker HD. OK?

Edited by Ben

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts