What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-Responsive iPad in Facebook

Reaction score
Please help. When I tap on 'like' or the profiles of friends on Facebook, nothing happens. I've been unable to post comments as well. This non-responsiveness only seems to happen on FB.
I have an iPad 2 64G. It also shuts down to the home page constantly. I have rebooted numerous times. :(
Maybe it's time for a new one?
I use it everyday for work and pleasure. I can't imagine being w/o it.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please help. When I tap on 'like' or the profiles of friends on Facebook, nothing happens. I've been unable to post comments as well. This non-responsiveness only seems to happen on FB.
I have an iPad 2 64G. It also shuts down to the home page constantly. I have rebooted numerous times. :(
Maybe it's time for a new one?
I use it everyday for work and pleasure. I can't imagine being w/o it.

Try this also if the Admirals suggestion above does not solve your problem:
Double press on the Home button (or four-finger swipe upwards) until you see all the apps still open in memory at the bottom task bar. Hold down on any app until they all start to wiggle. Then delete them all, including your Facebook app, by tapping all their minus/delete signs. This tidies up your RAM and makes sure that recalcitrant app straightens up and flies right. If still a problem, come back.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bglasscoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem on a new iPad 4. It is while using Safari on the actual Facebook website - not the Facebook app.

kimrod7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To A A ... I have an iPad 1 ... Tried your suggestion (closing apps, rebooting) to no avail. Mine always happens when accessing FB through Safari. I prefer Safari because I like the layout better. Do you have any other suggestions?

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
kimrod7 said:
To A A ... I have an iPad 1 ... Tried your suggestion (closing apps, rebooting) to no avail. Mine always happens when accessing FB through Safari. I prefer Safari because I like the layout better. Do you have any other suggestions?

No I don't but will bring this problem to the attention of one of our star trouble shooters at iPF.

Hold on.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@ kimrod7:

Try going to Settings > Safari and Clear Cookies and Data.

You'll have to log in to FaceBook again (and any other site that normally remembers you).

Hopefully the previous help from the Admiral and The OB have fixed the OP's problem. I'm going to post the usual fixes below in advance (because there's a couple other things to try there), just in case.

---------------

The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart. takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

bglasscoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have tried those things and it is still causing me problems. It does not always crash while in Safari - just sometimes. Most often when it happens it is in Safari when on the Facebook site while trying to click to see more comments. It also does absolutely nothing when trying to like a post.

I have closed all apps. I have cleared cache. I have restarted. Unsure what else to try. Any help would be much appreciated. Or perhaps it truly is a recent Facebook problem that no one has yet addressed?

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
bglasscoe said:
I'm afraid I have tried those things and it is still causing me problems. It does not always crash while in Safari - just sometimes. Most often when it happens it is in Safari when on the Facebook site while trying to click to see more comments. It also does absolutely nothing when trying to like a post.

I have closed all apps. I have cleared cache. I have restarted. Unsure what else to try. Any help would be much appreciated. Or perhaps it truly is a recent Facebook problem that no one has yet addressed?

Have you tried using another browser like Atomic or Dolphin? What about using the FB app?

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I rarely use FaceBook through Safari. It works when I do, but that might just be because I don't use it long enough to crash Safari.

The FaceBook app crashes every so often, but since all I have to do is start it again, I don't pay much attention to the frequency.

Other than the fixes I outlined, and the Admiral's suggestion to delete and reinstall it, I have no more ideas what could be done.

Are you running the most recent version of iOS (6.01)?

bglasscoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried the FB app a few minutes ago and it did let me like a post without problems. But I really dislike the app. The posts and pics are huge. Many times the tops of photos are cut off since they are so large. And yep - I am new to Apple so it could be that there is something else I should try to improve that app.

Regarding the browser question - I will have to try others out again. I've only had the iPad for a couple of weeks and I tried those browsers in the first days. But it's a good question and I'll give them a try again.

Thanks very much.

Gmiles1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also having the same problem since yesterday. I cannot like but one thing on my Safari facebook News Feed, then i have to reload the page to like or share, and reload again. If i go to my wall, or my groups, i have no problem what so ever liking or sharing.This just started last night, yesterday morning it was fine. This is also happening in Chrome and Dolphin browsers. I have an IPAD 2 with version 6.0.1. Obviously something is wrong with ipad and facebook browser, not with the mobile version, but i hate the mobile version if facebook.

Most reactions

Latest posts